Gauging Interest: Meteor Shower Trip August 8-10, 2014

Problem not fixed. Issue is that it runs great for 20 miles or about 30 mins. The won't run over 2000 rpm. As Soo as I hit 2100 it immediately loses power, starts sputtering and backfiring

Mmmm, tricky one. The backfiring would tend to point to ignition, but I have had similar things with a Classic when the fuel pump brushes were worn out and the fuel pressure varied at speed. Tests of pressure showed good on that one too, but new (Chevy) pump fixed it.

I'd look at the coil(s) and condensor (if fitted), both of which can be really hard to test and really the "swap and see" is the only way to try them. You've tried the obvious plugs and leads, so those should be able to be can be ruled out. I did once have 4 defective new plugs on a Ford V8 which left me with a compounded problem, the original being a melted down cat which only showed at higher flow rates ... which leaves me to ask if you changed the cat, as I saw you were intending to (my D1 had loose debris in the down-pipe making a horrible noise ... but it still ran fine).

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I did change the cats. I don't think it was clogged unless they both were as the same symptoms presented at the same frequency and intensity with both sets, seems unlikely. And I would think that it would be at high flow all the time not just after 20 miles or so. So you had a bad fuel pump that gave good pressure? I hate to send the $$ and time on that one if I don't have to.

I did change the cats. I don't think it was clogged unless they both were as the same symptoms presented at the same frequency and intensity with both sets, seems unlikely. And I would think that it would be at high flow all the time not just after 20 miles or so. So you had a bad fuel pump that gave good pressure? I hate to send the $$ and time on that one if I don't have to.

That warm-up time is certainly odd, and would push back to an electrical problem again. I agree that even fuel pump would probably be constant without the 20 minutes (mine was, and very consistent after warm-up, although fine until then and pressure did measure fine with a gauge); it finally gave up on me at Hollister and I guessed (correctly) what it was immediately.

Just reading your description again I see you can get it up to 3000 sometimes, but then it works its way down to 2000 again. Sounding more fuel-like all the time, but that doesn't seem as logical as ignition to me. Have you looked under the hood when it is totally dark? I once did this on a Morris and saw a "lightning-like" trail down the side of the distributor. Once pulled apart I could clearly see a crack in the cap that was allowing a path to ground at higher revs (I hadn't noticed it when cleaning the system until that time).

Is your coolant level staying constant? The other misfires you mentioned could be a head-gasket weeping, but I think that is a long shot.

You've certainly covered most of the ground on this one so far ....

Regards,

Graeme

Guest Pedram

Would a loose gas cap cause any issues? No codes yet? Check you gas cap for pressure. Might be something to look at. But for heat issues I was thinking the secondary ignition. Like the coil. Something stupid like that.

From talking to you about it at camp, I was starting to think maybe trace it with heat. Heat up an area with a heat gun and see if you can reproduce the symptoms.

Haven't looked in the dark. I think I might try an idle test in the driveway to see if I can narrow it down. I do have something going on with the fuel tank. It builds pressure like the charcoal canister is clogged or the purge valves isn't working. But I have run it until the problem starts, releived pressure and the problem persists. Could be related I suppose. Pedram, not sure I use the heat gun idea. Wouldn't want to dammage anything and the coils are a bit hard to reach anyway. One thing I noticed last night was that the truck did not have a rich smell to the exhaust while it was running without the problem. I drove it out bible study with the air con on and it more uphill than not. It just started to act up as we arrived. On the way home more down hill and no ac = no problems. Same distance but with less load and less heat. Strange strange strange

• 3 months later...

Got to come down here for the connected car show and trade day - JLR was showing off its new In Control platform in Range Rover Sport and Jag F-Type - specific apps for smart phone & telematics to communicate with car. Apps can be controlled by touch screen or voice in car. Launching in couple of months first in US then row. Cloudcar developed app - (just drive) for weather, text etc. optimized for use in car. Opening new technology development center in Portland.

(uk was not right place to do that- need to be on west coast - and Portland is perfect because it rains all the time so uk visitors will be right at home)

Also were showing lots of new discovery sports in the main floor - outside looks nice, but inside the plastics are definitely a step down from RangeRover - also no transfer case and only steel sprung ... perhaps I will save my $$ for a Bowler ....

post-1426-142414680718_thumb.jpg

post-1426-142414680719_thumb.jpg

post-1426-142414680719_thumb.jpg

post-1426-14241468072_thumb.jpg

post-1426-14241468072_thumb.jpg

post-1426-142414680721_thumb.jpg

Got to come down here for the connected car show and trade day - JLR was showing off its new In Control platform in Range Rover Sport and Jag F-Type - specific apps for smart phone & telematics to communicate with car. Apps can be controlled by touch screen or voice in car. Launching in couple of months first in US then row. Cloudcar developed app - (just drive) for weather, text etc. optimized for use in car. Opening new technology development center in Portland.

(uk was not right place to do that- need to be on west coast - and Portland is perfect because it rains all the time so uk visitors will be right at home)

Also were showing lots of new discovery sports in the main floor - outside looks nice, but inside the plastics are definitely a step down from RangeRover - also no transfer case and only steel sprung ... perhaps I will save my $$ for a Bowler ....

The Discovery Sport is growing on me, especially as it replaces the LR2. I watched this video that showed the off road accessory options for it -- http://www.landroverusa.com/vehicles/discovery-sport-compact-crossover/gallery/fh-accessories-film.html/293-111131 -- while I probably wouldn't be in the market for one, I think it will be successful.

Interested to see the InControl in person...

-Jared

So the Discovery Sport is replacing the LR2? Makes sense if it is only coil sprung and no transfer case. I thought it was replacing the LR4, but maybe that is the new Discovery and we have to wait another year.

Seems strange to have this and the Evoque as two small SUVs in the same lineup.

I like the fact that the LR4 and range rover are stylistically so different right now. Not liking how every new LR vehicle looks almost the same. They are losing their edge and just look like an Explorer.

The 'discovery sport' is to the LR4 as the RRS is to the RR. The LR4 is due of for a replacement with the Disco 5 (yes, I believe they are going to give us back the name in the US again)

While I have no interest in the new DS, I think it looks OK and the pricing seems good in the market at around $40K. That puts it in line with a lot of other SUVs, including it's look-alike Explorer.

Diaco Sport also gets up to 28 mpg with 2l turbo - it looks good, has 7 seats , at $40k will attract a lot of explorer and grand Cherokee buyers. Like évoque it will be somewhat capable off road - but not like the air spring models with more ground clearance, tranafer case etc.

I wonder how it will stack up against the JGC? I suspect the Jeep will be better off-road, at least when optioned correctly. Certainly it offers more power as well as a diesel. But it's also more money, at least by MSRP. I don't know how much they deal on these things. A few years ago ('08?) I stopped in to look at a new JGC and no sooner than I had walked on the lot they took 7500 off the sticker.

Went to SF Auto show yesterday. Definitely not as impressive as LA's. None of the models have roof rails for roof racks which means clamp on roof racks in future. Also all models shown have the glass moon roofs, no cutting or drilling allowed there.

Also told new "Defender" Model in next 3 yrs, I've heard that same old line since 2003. I got the impression they will just using the moniker and the styling will be completely different and as a replacement for the Disco line.

I have never gone to the SF show; it sort of struck me as a tier 2, maybe tier 3 show. Certainly in the US there's Detroit first, LA and NY second, then the 'others'. Heck, Sacramento has an auto show. I think maybe Kia has a booth....

As for the next Defender, I'm not holding my breath either. I do believe there is one coming, and three years seems a fully plausible timeframe, but who knows? As an Alfa fan, I listened to decades of 'we're coming back to America in xxx years' so I guess I'm used to it.

I do however think there will be a Discovery 5 in the US soon. Maybe next year; 2 at the most. The LR3/4 platform hasn't really changed significantly since introduction and it's clearly due for a revamp to stay competitive in the market. Then again, they seem to be selling all they can make. They could certainly stand to overhaul it and shed say 800 lbs or so - that would work well with the new smaller motor. Heck, the Wrangler I'm driving this week on vacation is faster than my LR3 using the old pentastar V6 largely because it's so much lighter. And more importantly to LR, less weight will mean better economy which will help the CAFE standards.

As for styling, I really don't know. I wouldn't expect radical departures from the iconic style of either model but particularly with the Defender it will be very hard to keep the simple old-school body shape with today's requirements.

Archived