Death Valley 2013

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok I have been doing a bit of thinking on the itinerary. Here is my current thinking - what do you trip veterans think?

Friday & Saturday -- hang with Sherrif Stone at GoldPoint. Arrive into town late on Friday, spend Saturday wheeling and exploring the area. This allows late arrivals who can't make it until Saturday night to join us. (We stayed here at the end of our last trip to DV, but didn't explore surrounding area)

Sunday - exit Gold Point, check out that weird castle, and head to a campsite near Strozzi Ranch/Phinney Canyon (new area to me, could be above snow line, very remote)

Monday - exit Strozzie, take Titus Canyon route towards Scotty's. Tour Scotty's -- then end up at camp in Cottonwood/Marble Canyon (new area to me, might be a bit crowded)

Tuesday - exit Cottonwood, head one of the cabins aka Mengel's and camp. (we stayed here the year before last and took the NCLR banner shot on the porch)

Wednesday - leave Mengels,visit Rocky, do Goler, head to Stellas/Russells/Geologist camp in Striped Butte (we'll stay at one 3 cabins - think we've done that every trip

Thursday - Exit Warm Springs, head to Bob and Wards (we were here last year)

Friday -- explore around Bob and Wards -- stay camped there (didn't really explore enough -- wanna do some more...)

Saturday - Leave for home.

Itinerary sounds good. Always nice to explore new areas and I do want to see Scotty's castle.

Looks like Sun, Mon, Tues, and Wed are all one night stays. Sometimes its nice to stay in one place for two nights but sounds like we will stay at Bob and Wards Thurs and Fri. Just throwing it out there...

Lots to explore! I hope weather cooperates and we don't have the snow we experienced last year at Gold Point.

Yes, we will plan on re-supply. 5 gallons extra fuel is a good idea - 10 if you are a real gas hog.

I'd plan on 5 gallons of water per person (one of those big jugs) plus the normal water bottles/sodas, etc. Once you empty your first 5 gallon jug, there are usually springs, etc we can refill enroute. It is winter, so we will also be in snow country at times.

Not much in the way of groceries, however Furnace Creek, Scotty's, Stovepipe Wells, Panamint Springs, Beatty, Trona, etc all have limited supplies and sandwich shops...I try to pack all my food and drink that i can for our group of 4 or 5 people.

Firewood is another item we need to think about -- or use of one of those propane fire rings while in the park and doing remote camping.

As we are in a convoy, people usually have extra or share if people get in real trouble.

Will plan out more detail. Need to research Strozzi, Marble -- if we were going to aim for an addiitonal 2 night stay I might combine Strozzi and Marble somehow, or pick a place like Briggs Camp (if we could get it) and squat there for 2 nights. It's a popular one though -- since it isn't on Park land it allows shooting, etc... so many times people stay there for a long time.

Ok sounds good. I have that huge roof rack and can carry a ton of fire wood. Fuel isn't such as issue with the diesel and I have room for 4 Jerry cans plus a water filter. But good to know. I also have the propane campfire and can carry one big propane tank so we can discuss others carrying a tank as well. I'm really excited about this trip. Gotta get the truck together and get some shake down miles in her.

Ok - I have created the official sign up thread for the trip hereL

http://nclrclub.org/forum/showthread.php?2057-OFFICIAL-Death-Valley-2013

If you want to get in "officially" -- please respond to that thread with the requested information. If there are others who didn't post up on that thread yet from last year you think will be going, please contact them and get them registered.

I am checking with Park Service to see if there are any rule changes related to group sizes we need to be aware of, or if we need to apply for a special permit. A,s

Note that if you have kids, doublecheck their Easter break. Many happen the week after. If you are interested in starting another trip, (the following week) -- our ending point would make a great trip rally point!

Chuck, Bob and Wards cabin is close to the China Lake military base. I remember reading that the base has a bunch of petroglyphs and cool areas to see. With prior authority, we may be able to explore a bit around the base and search out some petroglyphs. If interested, I can do some more research...

"Coso Rock Art District, containing the Big and Little Petroglyph Canyons, is a rock art site containing over 20,000 of Paleo-Indian and/or Native American Petroglyphs.[1] The Coso Range is between the Sierra Nevada and the Argus Range. Indian Wells Valley lies to the south of this location. This north south trending range of about 400 square miles (1,000 km2) consists of rhyolitic domes and outcrops of volcanic rock. Also known as Little Petroglyph Canyon and Sand Tanks, Renegade Canyon is but one of several major canyons in the Coso Range, each hosting thousands of petroglyphs. The majority of the Coso Range images fall into one of six categories: bighorn sheep, entopic images, anthropomorphic or human-like figures, other animals, weapons & tools, and “medicine bag” images. Fortunately for the petroglyphs, most of the Coso Range is on the Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake, visitation is restricted, vandalism is low, and preservation is most likely. They are now located within the Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake, near the towns of China Lake and Ridgecrest, California. There are several other distinct canyons to the Coso Rock Art District besides the Big and Little Petroglyph Canyons. The most popular subjects are bighorn sheep, deer, and antelope.[citation needed] Big and Little Petroglyph Canyons were declared a National Historic Landmark in 1964. In 2001, they were incorporated into a larger National Historic Landmark District, called Coso Rock Art District.[2]"

Yes, I know there are some very interesting areas around there. We will have a day to drive around and explore the area. If you want to do the reearch and see if there is a way we could do a bit of research "on base" that would be pretty cool. I haven't actually planned out any specific details for what we will be doing Friday near Bob and Wards -- other than a few trails and sites I've read about in the area. Don't really want to drive to Ridgecrest -- but if we could access from the remote areas we are traveling in that would be cool...I think that kids under 10 aren't allowed -- and you have to be a U.S. Citizen to attend --perhaps this would be a good optional "add-on" for folks to do on Saturday as we exit the park, if it could be arranged that we could take a tour on Sat morning/afternoon before starting drive back to Bay area?

Chuck, Bob and Wards cabin is close to the China Lake military base. I remember reading that the base has a bunch of petroglyphs and cool areas to see. With prior authority, we may be able to explore a bit around the base and search out some petroglyphs. If interested, I can do some more research...

"Coso Rock Art District, containing the Big and Little Petroglyph Canyons, is a rock art site containing over 20,000 of Paleo-Indian and/or Native American Petroglyphs.[1] The Coso Range is between the Sierra Nevada and the Argus Range. Indian Wells Valley lies to the south of this location. This north south trending range of about 400 square miles (1,000 km2) consists of rhyolitic domes and outcrops of volcanic rock. Also known as Little Petroglyph Canyon and Sand Tanks, Renegade Canyon is but one of several major canyons in the Coso Range, each hosting thousands of petroglyphs. The majority of the Coso Range images fall into one of six categories: bighorn sheep, entopic images, anthropomorphic or human-like figures, other animals, weapons & tools, and “medicine bag” images. Fortunately for the petroglyphs, most of the Coso Range is on the Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake, visitation is restricted, vandalism is low, and preservation is most likely. They are now located within the Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake, near the towns of China Lake and Ridgecrest, California. There are several other distinct canyons to the Coso Rock Art District besides the Big and Little Petroglyph Canyons. The most popular subjects are bighorn sheep, deer, and antelope.[citation needed] Big and Little Petroglyph Canyons were declared a National Historic Landmark in 1964. In 2001, they were incorporated into a larger National Historic Landmark District, called Coso Rock Art District.[2]"

So, it looks like no children under 10 yo allowed on the tour due to the hiking involved. Sounds like it is out for our group, but something to think about in the future. It is supposedly one of the best preserved and most dense petroglyphs in north america.

Will be fun to just hang out and explore Bob and Wards. Lets just not break driveshafts this year!

Spares & recovery gear. What should we plan to bring? Here's my D2 list:

Stock rebuilt front drive shaft

Tom Wood's rear drive shaft (ordered a GBR today, hoping to get rid of the vibe)

Ashcroft axles/CV's front and rear (running stock axles until I have lockers, or one breaks on the trail)

Serpentine belts (x2)

Air filters

Brake switch

Engine oil, gear oil, coolant

Warn XD9000i winch w/ 100' syn line

20' EE recovery strap

10' syn line tree saver from Viking Offroad

x4 3/4" shackles

60" Hi-Lift, Off Road Base, Lift Mate (to lift by wheels instead of bumper/slider)

x2 pair of gloves

I don't think many things will overlap for me. I'm bringing the following.

Spare rad hoses

Fan belts

Water pump

Emergency tape many rolls

Coolant

Oil

Need an air filter (Ron if you still have some for the 200tdi and are willing to part with one let me know)

Power steering fluid

Gear oil

Brake fluid

Repair manual

Recovery

10k superwinch 100 ft of line(although I don't know the condition, so far, knock on wood, it's worked)

D shackles x3

Tree saver

30ft 11,000kg snatch strap

48 in hi lift extreme ;) w base

Sand ladders x2

Axe

Pick axe

Shovel

Air compressor (no air tools)

Pulley

Line dampener

Work gloves x2 leather x2 mechanix

Might bring jack stands if I have room.

Oh yeah and ....

The Best 4x4xFar!!!

Spoke to the Sherriff of Gold Point. We are confirmed for Friday arrival. There will be gas (petrol and diesl) available, at $5 per gallon, for those who need it. The closest gas will be Tonopah -- don't try and fill up at Goldfield because the stations have been closed.

There will be showers available, and also up to 4 cabins that will take 4 people each. Price is $139 for the cabins, I believe.

He is also OK with us doing an easter egg hunt on Sunday morning -- and will plan on cooking us breakfast Saturday, dinner Saturday, and breakfast Sunday.

I haven't finalized our departure times -- but if possible would like to leave the bay area EARLY on Friday -- so we can make it into town by about 5pm. That means a 6am or 7am departure target for us. I'm suspecting some folks will be leaving later, and trickling in after dark. If we get enough people arriving by 5pm -- we can have him cook dinner....

Working on trip planning, but here are some of the ideas from the Sherrif for Saturdays run

"Here are some sites to visit. Anything you can’t find just let me know. You’ll probably run across other stuff along the way.

South of gold point you have the Indian petroglyphs not far from “old camp” a couple of ruins still around. Close by is causer well. Neat old camp.

Stateline which has about 27 stone foundations of various sizes if you can find them and one wood cabin people maintain. (CM Note - we discovered this last year on the way in via Oriental wash)

to the west is tule canyon. In the south end is Roosevelt. If you take it to the top of the mountain roads go different directions to different cabins and mines. Look up the old town of Sylvania. It has a bunch of buildings left. There are other places between the top of tule canyon and Sylvania but I’d have to show you on a map.

A little farther west is the oasis talc mining camp. Quite a few buildings still left and people can pick up some talc to take home.

I can help you with more when you get here but this should get you started."

Is there tent camping too, or does that cut into their revenue stream? I'm down for a cabin, but not if it's 1-2 people on Friday night. I assume there will be enough (or too many) people for a cabin on Saturday night.

Early departure time is fine with me on Friday. I can meet you at Scotty's (can't remember the name of that store) or your place Chuck.

Is there tent camping too, or does that cut into their revenue stream? I'm down for a cabin, but not if it's 1-2 people on Friday night. I assume there will be enough (or too many) people for a cabin on Saturday night.

Early departure time is fine with me on Friday. I can meet you at Scotty's (can't remember the name of that store) or your place Chuck.

Yes, camping situation is that he is going to be giving us all an area to camp in with tents and rigs. There is a small charge (maybe $15 a night). There are only 4 cabins available, and the big advantage there is you will have heat if it is cold and also running water and a shower. There are showers for people who tent, but depending on the tempature we may need to use cabin showers. One of the reasons I want to get there early is to figure out all those logistics as well as set my tent up during the light. I am also maybe interested in having him cook us some steaks -- or grilling up some of our own food.

I am thinking I will tent camp, (one of reasons I want to get there early).

For those of you who haven't been-- there is a big, warm saloon where all the food is served and we are welcome to hang out if it gets cold. So if you tent camp, you could hang out there until sleep time. It seats like 100 people, so lots of room to spread out.

Latest weather is no snow on the ground, but it is in the low 20's during the day...

I'd say we meet down in Foster City, there is a Starbucks over by the Orchard supply there at 7am. How does that sound for a plan? Then we can drive through Reno, lunch at Cabelas and hit Safeway for ice and any last minute items, and make it into GoldPoint before dinner. If we can get enough people to join our convoy along the way -- we can get the Sherrif to cook for us. Otherwise, we can grill out our own stuff that night (maybe borrow his grill so we don't have to set up our cooking stuff)...

Archived