10th Annual Member's Appreciation Weekend "OktRoverFest" Official Thread!

Hello NCLR Members and Happy 10th Anniversary!!

By now you’ve seen the “Save the Date†notices and some folks are still negotiating the weekend away. Here is a little more info that might help.

This year is the 10th Anniversary of our club, that also means this is the 10th “Annual Event†and as such, we want to make it the BEST EVER!!

To do this, the Board has explored various ideas including moving the location but each time we faced logistical challenges that would only inhibit the event, not help it.  So we’ve decided that we will be celebrating the 10th year of the Annual Member Appreciation Weekend, back at Hollister Hills with the voted on theme of

“OktRoverFest!!†

So remember, SAVE THE DATES SEPTEMBER 30 - OCTOBER 2 2016

Since we didn’t change the venue, we focused on the event itself and this year we are planning a few new activities and events.  For Example:

Beer Garden Sponsored by  

http://altamontbeerworks.com/1/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Altamont_Beer_Works_Logo_large.png                                                               

Friday Night: From 5p to 8p, as you roll in to Area 5 and hit the registration booth, we’ll be grilling up some brats and Altamont Beer Works is hosting the "Biergarten" so when your finished setting up your camp, come join the group and say your “hello’s†over brats and beer!  Also, good friend of the club Kevin Johnson of J.J. Buckley Fine Wines will be hosting a Wine Tasting for all of our members over 21. 

We are excited to feature Michael and Corrie from Overland Bound as our guest speakers to share some of their many stories and methodologies for adventure!.  

Also that evening, cruise over to the fire pit for S’mores and campfire songs/stories from our own Ben “Bieber†Rose (back-up musicians and singers welcome)!  Open to kids and adults (because who doesn’t like a S’more??) until the kiddos hit the sack then the adults carry on the afterglow and share our own stories as we look forward to full day on Saturday! 

Saturday Morning: Timber from Catahoula Coffee will be a hosting a Continental Breakfast to help get us caffeinated, fed and on the trails! Yup, no cooking required which means more trail and activity time!

Saturday Activities: This year we are taking a new approach and dividing into 3 separate “Tracksâ€. Feel like going out with the big boys? Pushing limits and advancing your skills? Join Don Happel on the “Off-Road†Track to conquer the best that Hollister has to offer and maybe learn how to safely recover a rolled truck. (on purpose ;) )

Not quite ready for that? Join Drew Salzborn’s "Over-Landing" Track and join our friends from Land Rover Experience - Quail Lodge for an intermediate trial run around Hudner Ranch. Get pro-tips and professional instruction for you and/or your spouse from some of the best Land Rover Driving Instructors in the world! 

Driving the trails not the thing for you or someone in your family? No worries, Katie Saulsgiver and her crew are creating a small oasis called “Base Camp†Track with activities for kids big and small. From games to “fireside talks†about camping and overloading related topics.

Be sure to be back by lunch and bring the kids, we’ll have our own “Kids Camel Trophy - Hollister 2016†event! More on all of this later but if you can throw the bike rack in the trailer hitch and bring the kid’s bikes, that would be great!

Tracks continue in the afternoon and take us into…

Saturday Night:  This year dinner is hosted!!! This event is to thank you for coming out and your families for being a part of our adventures, either on the trail or supporting from home. Either way, let’s come together and enjoy a great evening where the only thing you need to pack for dinner is your appetite! Also, the Altamont Beer Works "Biergarten" will again be open starting at 5p until the kegs run dry!

During dinner the program will continue including the “State of the Club†Address, maybe a few “awards†and recognition while we reflect on the trips from 2016.  

After dinner comes the Raffle, and this year is sizing up to be one of the biggest raffles yet.   Below are a few of the many companies already on board and we’ll announcing more items in the weeks to come. Start your list now - good stuff coming! Have an idea or a contact? Let me or Tom know.

Sunday Morning: A big Thank You to Justin and the folks at British Recyclers for hosting the “Board Breakfastâ€.  Staples like Eggs, Bacon and Coffee will be one less meal to worry about as you think about getting packed and ready for our Kodak Moment! (Kids, ask your parents what Kodak means ;) )  This year we’ll gather at specified time and location within Area 5 for a massive group photo! I have a feeling this photo is going to be iconic and definitely makes the rounds so don’t miss out!

Some additional enhancements this year:

We will have a full time Medical Tent sponsored by Sutter Health

There will be a dedicated activities for the kids (and give parents a little help) so please bring them along!!

Raffle Items

Again we are proud to feature as one of the premier raffle items a Roof Top Tent from our friends at Tepui.  

_D7K3725-M.jpg

Selection of Fine Wines from Kevin Johnson @J.J. Buckley $200 value (3 sets)

logo.png

Extreme Outback makers of the Extremeaire Magnum Compressor gift certificates $100 (x2)

machine.jpg

Roadshower Gift Certificates donated by Joel Cotton of Roadshower x3 (2 for the current Gen2 version with the new batch available soon after the event (negotiating the amount but last year was $100) and 1 $75 certificate for the Gen3 8 gallon version to be released soon)

19-IMG_6332-X2.jpg

I hope you are as excited about this as we are! We could really use your help:

This event is for the club and by the club and there will be plenty of opportunities for volunteers to help pull this off.  So think about where you, and/or your kids would be willing to lend a hand and as the event gets closer the folks heading up each section/track will be reaching out for help.  

For now, I know we have a need for at least 6 people with some first aid training (Wilderness First Aid, EMT, Paramedic, Nurse, etc) to be part of the medical staff.  I will man the Medical Tent at Base Camp and expect the medical staff to be out and about having fun.  Each person on the medical team will receive a T-shirt in Safety Orange to denote you as medical personnel.  Please let me know if you are interested and what type of training you have.  Also, it would be helpful but not required if you have HAM license and a handheld radio.

The other Opportunity will be for “Rover Buddiesâ€. Would your ‘tweens and teens like to lend a hand playing with some of the smaller kids? We’d love to bring families together, make new friends and have the younger kids involved in the event (they will be recognize in literature and on Saturday night dinner program)

As we get closer, we’ll launch the official “Registration†page. Your RSVP will be what gives us the accurate count for food, number of adults/kids etc… so keep an eye out for that.

Chris

President

Northern California Land Rover Club

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok new raffle item donated from my personal collection. I won this at my first Annual Event in 2010. It's a NCLR Dickies jacket size Large! Excellent condition. Worn once in my ownership. Model not included . https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160807/15704b870aab83a84f79d6f6a5133ac2.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160807/02df15b76fd6df48c0341ed76edbedc8.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Update Time!

Thanks to my partners at BASS Medical Group who have donated a Chinook Medical Expedition First Aid Kit!  This is a very comprehensive kit geared towards expeditions and off road/remote travel.  This is the kit I would make!! Retails for $420!!

http://www.chinookmed.com/mas_assets/full/01390.jpg

MEDICAL INFORMATION
(1) Comprehensive Guide
(1) Emergency First Aid Pocket Guide

PERSONAL PROTECTION
(1) Rescue Mask, Soft Case
(12) Personal Antimicrobial Wipe
(2) Biohazard Waste Bag
(2) Emergency/Survival Blanket
(4) Respirator Mask
(8) Nitrile Glove

BLEEDING
(1) SWAT-T Tourniquet
(2) QuikClot, 25 g
(2) Compressed Gauze
(2) Trauma Bandage, 4"

INSTRUMENTS
(1) Catheter Tip, 18 ga
(1) Digital Thermometer
(1) EMT Shears, 7.25", Silver
(1) Irrigation Syringe, 20 mL, Luer Lock Tip
(1) Scalpel, Sterile, #11
(1) Tweezers
(3) Safety Pins, 2"
(1) Disposable Penlight
(1) Flat Duct Tape, 1.89" x 2 yd.
WOUND / BLISTER / BURN
(1) CoFlex LF2, 2" x 5 yd.
(2) Trauma Pad, 5" x 9"
(1) Blister Kit
(1) Burn Dressing, 4" x 16"
(1) Burn Dressing, 4" x 4"
(6) Burn Jel, 3.5 g
(1) Cloth Tape, 1" x 10 yd.
(1) Lidocaine 1st Aid Spray
(1) Surgical Scrub Brush, Dry
(12) Antiseptic Towelettes
(2) 30 Band-Aid, 6 Knuckle, 6 Moleskin
(2) Benzoin Swabsticks
(2) Povidone-Iodine, 22 mL
(2) Stretch Gauze, 3" x 4.1 yd.
(2) Wound Closure Strips, 0.25" x 4"
(4) Non-Adherent Dressing, 3" x 4"
(4) Oval Eye Pad
(6) Cotton-Tipped Applicator, 6"
(6) Povidone-Iodine Prep Pad
(8) Sterile Gauze Pad, 4" x 4"

IMMOBILIZATION
(1) Elastic Bandage Wrap, 3" x 4.5 yd.
(1) Elastic Bandage Wrap, 4" x 4.5 yd.
(1) Splint, Orange, 4.25" x 36"
(2) Triangular Bandage

HYPOTHERMIA
(1) Blizzard Survival Blanket
(1) Hypothermic Digital Thermometer
(1) Ready Heat I Blanket, 16" x 18"
MEDICATION
(1) Eye Wash, 4 oz.
(2) Glucose, 15 g
(12) Aspirin, 2/pk (Analgesic)
(12) Diamode, 1/pk (Anti-diarrheal)
(12) Diotame, 2/pk (Stomach)
(12) Diphen, 1/pk (Antihistamine)
(12) Triple Antibiotic Ointment, 0.9 g
(18) Acetaminophen, 2/pk (Analgesic)
(18) Ibuprofen, 2/pk (Anti-inflammatory)
(6) Hydrocortisone 1% Cream, 1.5 g
(1) Water Treatment Drops
(3) Hydration Powder
(3) Oral Rehydration Salts
(1) Insect Bite Treatment

OTHER
(1) TMM-DE, Dental Module:

(1) Instructions
(1) Biohazard Waste Bag
(2) Nitrile Glove, LG
(2) Nitrile Glove, MD
(1) Actcel Hemostatic Gauze, 2†x 2â€
(25) Cotton Pellet
(3) Sterile Gauze Pad, 3†x 3â€
(5) Cotton Roll
(1) Clove Oil, 1/8 oz.
(1) Dentemp
(3) Oral Pain Relief, 0.75 g
(1) Dental Floss, 12 yd.
(1) Mouth Mirror
(1) Spatula
(1) Tweezers
(1) Wax Utility Square Rope
(4) Plackers Flossers

I haven't seen an RSVP thing yet but i plan to bring the wife and 2 kids. Is there anything i need to do? I have basic military medical training and I am CPR certified so if that lends me to being a medical person count me in. Otherwise I look forward to being there, my first time at Hollister so pretty excited.  

DiscoBears: I'm hoping to have the registration open Sept 1 so you haven't missed anything. As for medical team of you are willing to volunteer you are in!! That goes for anyone with medical training. As I said, the medical team is just people out having fun, participating in the events but if there is a medical need they are the designated go to person to start care.

So a little birdie stopped by house today, this one was a unique creature as it had a bright orange Lucky8 tattooed on it's wings! Yup, our friend Justin at Lucky8 has come through again for our raffle. This year he has gracious donated the following:

PROUD RHINO LR3 2.5" LIFT KIT ($110)

These 2.5" lift rods for your LR3 , LR4 and 06-09 Range Rover Sport will fit easily in place of the stock rods and trick your air suspension into thinking that the bags are low, thus filling them with more air and giving you a constant 2.5 inch of lift. With this lift, you are able to clear larger tires, giving your Rover the best ground clearance possible. This method is tested and true as we have been running it for years on our own personal trucks. These fantastic rods are made of black anodized aluminum fitted with secure rubber grommets to ensure the best fit possible.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0780/4031/products/1_c7db01f2-7039-4262-ba8e-e92b4d48d319_compact.jpg?v=1445274009

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0780/4031/products/3_671b3100-859c-432f-8335-30bb3bf1695a_compact.jpg?v=1445274358

And a synthetic winch line which appears to be 1/2 inch, 100 foot piece.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160901/2ef5141ae2e9b47a18d25fff17ddac7e.jpg

More updates already!!

The board has just finalized our caterer for Saturday night's dinner!! As stated above, Saturday's dinner is hosted, we will have a registration option for meals (meat eater, vegetarian, kiddos) so that we can get enough food. As Mexxi's wasn't available to cater this year we had to look at other options and were able to partner with Sauced BBQ & Spirits.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160901/24202ece5b7af0be4d21bac181cd0f82.jpg

The menu will be:

Brisket

Pulled Pork

Baked Beans

Mac and Cheese

Side Salad

Cornbread

Sweet Potato Casserole (for the Vegetarians)

And Extra Mac and Cheese for the kiddos!!

And don't forget that the Beer Garden sponsored by Altamont Beer Works will be open and pouring!!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160901/ebe583d7b9b42ef007d900c566a7803f.jpg

Question, I just got my tickets for my kid and my self, although if I wanted to bring one of my workers, would I be able to purchase him his dinner ticket? 

Cause I know NCLR members got theirs for free this year. 

OK, today was an amazing day!! First, thanks to Jared (RedRover) for not only designing the logo and flyer for this year's event but for getting the registration open!!  Click on the OktRoverFest Banner at the top of the shout box or click here to get started.

Second, I took a little road trip to Lodi CA, some of you know this as the home of some good wines but only a few of you know that it is also home to Powertank!!  I met up with Steve, the owner, who is a big fan of NCLR and he just started filling up the LR4 with goodies.  Here's what we have donated for the raffle:

Plan to have 4 lots from Powertank.

1. Powertank TIG-8200 Tire Inflator with Tire Repair Kit ($100 value)

31.2458.600x400.TIG-8200b.jpg

This is our most popular tire inflator model for the offroad market and is the one you want for your car if your tire pressures never are above 50 PSI. Now it features an easy to read 2.5" diameter SILICONE LIQUID FILLED dial gauge with rubber shock boot gauge protection. The advantages to a liquid filled gauge are longer life, shock resistance, and higher accuracy. But we don't use glycerin like other gauge which gets thick when cold slowing the needle to a crawl. Silicone offers all of the shock protection features of glycerin yet stays viscous in cold temperatures. Other features are a tough 24" braided hose whip, European style clip on chuck on a 90* elbow (this allows easy access to stems pointing towards 4x4 hubs or large hub caps. The body is a high flow design with an ergonomic thumb trigger, a solid brass piston, EPDM O-rings, and an ergonomically positioned pressure release button. This tool even works as a tire pressure gauge by itself. And don't forget the limited lifetime warranty.  $70

Pro Series Tire Repair Kit

529.1957.600x400.KIT-8133,OpenToolsOnWra         

This kit still has all the same important parts needed to repair almost any trail flat as our KIT-8133 kit like (30) self vulcanizing plugs, metal tools, lube, 4-way tool, and extra stems. It also has a knife, a pressure gauge, and 24" of sidewall sewing wire along with a pair of pliers and photo instructions yet it's less than half the size. It's also the perfect kit for all car/truck tires, trailer tires, and UTV tires too. ($40)

2. Powertank TIG-8500 Proseries Tire Inflator with Tire Repair Kit ($140 value)

491.1634.600x400.TIG-8500.jpg

Here' s the first 60 PSI PRO Series tire inflator designed for everything from racecar tires to passenger tires. The main feature of the PRO Series 60 PSI digital gauges is the accuracy over our 150 PSI digital gauge. If you don't need the high pressure readings you can now get 2.5 times the accuracy. That equals an accuracy of +/- .6 PSI. If tire pressure accuracy is what you need and you run tire pressure no higher than 60 PSI here's your inflator. It can also be used as just a tire pressure gauge. The easy-to-read digital display is backlit for easy night reading and the display reads in increments of .05 PSI or 1/20th of a PSI. The Clip-on chuck means you can adjust pressure with just one hand.  $100

Pro Series Tire Repair Kit

This kit still has all the same important parts needed to repair almost any trail flat as our KIT-8133 kit like (30) self vulcanizing plugs, metal tools, lube, 4-way tool, and extra stems. It also has a knife, a pressure gauge, and 24" of sidewall sewing wire along with a pair of pliers and photo instructions yet it's less than half the size. It's also the perfect kit for all car/truck tires, trailer tires, and UTV tires too. ($40)

3&4. Pro Series Tire Repair Kit ($40)

This kit still has all the same important parts needed to repair almost any trail flat as our KIT-8133 kit like (30) self vulcanizing plugs, metal tools, lube, 4-way tool, and extra stems. It also has a knife, a pressure gauge, and 24" of sidewall sewing wire along with a pair of pliers and photo instructions yet it's less than half the size. It's also the perfect kit for all car/truck tires, trailer tires, and UTV tires too.

Spent this afternoon scouting and mapping the 'sporting' trail run for the MAW. I think we have a little something for everybody.

Rutted hill climbs. Check

Tight squeezes. Check

Slippery decents. Check.

Rocks. Check

Plus we'll be on some trails hopefully most haven't run -yes, even in Hollister!

Do be prepared for some pin striping. I managed to pop the top off my Road Shower with some low hanging branches and give the truck a bath along the way.

And after the main run is done, we'll head to the Bonus Round where the more adventurous can try their skills. Winching will be an option. ;) it should also offer good spectating for those who don't want to get _quite_ that silly.

For those of us who can't just reach up on our roof racks, our friends at Frontrunner Outfitters have donated a LR3/4 rear ladder to help us out!

A ladder that clips over the top of the Discovery 3 & 4’s / LR3, LR4's rear door and bolts behind the license plate.

• The ladder conforms to the contours of the vehicle and is constructed out of black powder coated mild steel to ensure durability and strength.
  • Easy installation:   the top part of the ladder clips over the rear door and uses existing mounting points for fitment.  No drilling required.  
  • The top and bottom treads are textured for added grip and the top clip is lined with rubber to avoid damage to the vehicle's paint work.  ($234 Value)

front-runner-ladder-land-rover-disco-3-4

front-runner-ladder-land-rover-disco-3-4

So this is my first time coming to hollister, we are bringing the disco and our family wagon too...am I going to need to park it somewhere outside the main camping area or will it make it in? Are there any clearance requirements to get to the main staging/camping area?

As the owner of a Front Runner ladder I can say with confidence it's a fine product. Easy to install, very sturdy, and looks good. 2 thumbs up. :)

Agreed -- This is on the D4 and it is a good looking ladder.  It also performs its function well.

So this is my first time coming to hollister, we are bringing the disco and our family wagon too...am I going to need to park it somewhere outside the main camping area or will it make it in? Are there any clearance requirements to get to the main staging/camping area?

There is TONS of space, you'll be fine taking the extra vehicle. My wife was able to take her little ford last year and had no issues. Its essentially a paved road all the way to the actual camping spot. So you'd be easily able to park it within the main camping area.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hollister+Hills+SVRA+Upper+Ranch/@36.7726777,-121.4307395,15z/data=!4m8!1m2!2m1!1sHollister+Hills+State+Vehicular+Recreation+Area+entry!3m4!1s0x0:0xb7ea3da5c19f7c08!8m2!3d36.7673181!4d-121.411095

Its maybe 3-400 yards from that GPS point, last year we had Land Rover Flags and our logos up, you can't miss it.

Glad to see you coming out for this one, now to just convince the other sacto guys that its worth the drive out.... Cause its a hell of a event to miss

Here's the actual site.  If you just search 'Hollister Hills' on Google maps it will show you more of the motorcycle area.  This is just a short distance down Cienga Rd from the ranger station.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/36.7627431,-121.4037776/7720-8726+Cienega+Road,+Hollister,+CA+95023/@36.7637642,-121.4075467,620m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m9!4m8!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x80921b7dd3055649:0xc3b63003ec7d2031!2m2!1d-121.4037789!2d36.7627255!3e0

It's been 5 days since I updated but that doesn't mean the prizes stopped rolling in!!  Today's installment of "ooh, I want that" is from our buddies at Rumpl.  Who or what is a Rumpl you may ask? I'm glad you asked, directly copied from their website:

"When two guys who spend a lot of time in the outdoors decide to design bedding, there may be some unlikely results. Despite significant improvements in modern textiles over the years, we were unable to find a blanket that rivaled our puffy jackets and sleeping bags in terms of performance, warmth, and durability. Even more frustrating was the blanket buying experience - home supply mega-stores with shelves full of boring, repetitive patterns encased in clear, plastic zipper bags. We felt that something we use every day deserved more consideration. We decided to apply the same premium materials developed for outdoor gear to a generally traditional product: an everyday blanket."

I reached out to them as I saw their products as a perfect match with our activities, staying warm in the wilderness, chilling in a roof top tent, or just keeping the kiddos warm in the morning without worrying about ruining your stuff and they agreed!  They have graciously donated one of their high tech blankies!

This is their “Iron Puffy†in queen size (88â€x84†4.8 pounds, stuffs down to a stuff sack 13â€x20â€). $199 

Features:

*20D Ripstop Nylon with DWR

*Repels water, stains, and odor

*Synthetic down insulation

*Machine Washable

*1 year warranty

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0272/8131/products/Twin_stuffsack_Iron_4fa0e8e5-d86a-4ba9-b979-3f1631c4e588.jpg?v=1433735206

Just want to confirm I am in. Arriving from the South via Clear Creek Management Area (a permitted ascent of San Benito Mountain with the BLM folks is confirmed) and Panoche valley. Possible that Nathan H. And Lutzi are in my convoy. Can share pics of the overland route on Tom's laptop/projector... (if possible?).

Really looking FWD to it. Great job guys & gals for putting this one together!

-- Paul

New day, new raffle prize!!

I don't know about you but a long day on the trail in the sun is pretty hard on my eyes but really good sunglasses are really expensive. That's why I reached out to Revo, one of the top sunglass manufacturers and explained our problem. They agreed that we shouldn't suffer and have donated a pair of Revo sunglasses!! The winner will get a code to allow them to pick the style that best suits them.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160913/b445fbc1ff720843671091e2e9377f01.jpg

Just want to confirm I am in. Arriving from the South via Clear Creek Management Area (a permitted ascent of San Benito Mountain with the BLM folks is confirmed) and Panoche valley. Possible that Nathan H. And Lutzi are in my convoy. Can share pics of the overland route on Tom's laptop/projector... (if possible?).

Really looking FWD to it. Great job guys & gals for putting this one together!

-- Paul

I may want to join that convoy if available. Never did Clear Creek before. Possible to rally up with you at the entrance gate? I'd be coming down from Bay area that morning..

Archived