"The Dark Side"... that's classic. Does that mean, Will, that you may have to change your beloved D1's moniker to something like Yoda, Greedo or Jar-Jar?

With access available to us all weekend, I might be able to wander down there on Sunday for a looksie. Is there anything in particular that I'd need to look out for (besides the poison oak)? Is the area mapped because I get lost in the bathroom?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can post a pic of the trails I mapped overlaid against a sat image. A lot of the trails out there are actually loops, so if you run the main trail first you'll be a little more familiar with the start and end points of the trails that break off. Just be leary (ie don't get stuck) along the trail with "Bee Hill". You'll see it in my map. The entire hillside has swarms of bees which you can hear from a couple hundred feet away. Also not that a lot of the trails are just about as narrow as your tires, though most of the overgrowth has been trimmed. Oh yeah, I don't think I mentioned this before. Being the last person to leave camp (I hoped to get out before Will did) the NCLR locks were already removed, so I had to walk to the ranger station and get a lift back to the gate so they could open it for me.

Too late!!! I already had one made, just had to find it. It's now posted in our library section. Also, there are stakes that designate trail start (green), trail end (red), and yellow (both ways). Each stake has been labeled with the temporary name (Trail 10, Trail X) and should be on your right side as you drive the trail.

http://nclrclub.org/forum/showthread.php?p=7831#post7831

"The Dark Side"... that's classic. Does that mean, Will, that you may have to change your beloved D1's moniker to something like Yoda, Greedo or Jar-Jar?

With access available to us all weekend, I might be able to wander down there on Sunday for a looksie. Is there anything in particular that I'd need to look out for (besides the poison oak)? Is the area mapped because I get lost in the bathroom?

As much as I enjoy the Star Wars saga, no, the Shrek name stays with my D1, but you can offer a name for my yet to arrive LR3 :) ..... I need help finding one first...... but that is another topic

As Brenton mentioned the secondary trail loops are marked for safety, that is passing can be down right impossible in some areas and backing out would be a real challenge, so the need to mark trails accordingly and specify one-way only.

Our only job for now is to enjoy the Dark Side, maintain our temporary trail markings, and recommend names of these secondary trails to the Park and any improvements we deem necessary.

FYI to anyone attending the May MORG. A potential new member, Jerry, will be there looking for the group at the Ranger Station. Please keep a look out for him in a '97 Discovery.

Will do, Gary. How did he come about us? By the way, lots of rain on the forcast for this weekend. Should be a nice mud fest!

Just received a call from Will and was asked to post this message....

John called from Hollister Hills and it has been decided to close the Hudner Ranch area due to the rain received. Upper ranch will still be available to all those attending the MORG. Have a good time...

Boy was there mud everywhere!!!! I don't think I have seen Hollister THAT muddy in the past 2 years. Showed up at 9:30. Waited for a little while past 10:00 but realizing the rest were running a bit late, we headed for the new obstacle course. It was a mud fest of the worst kind!!!

I headed for the deeper of the 2 water holes there but after watching one of the Zyncros go before me (Zyncro de Mayo was in full force out there), I realized the entry to the water hole was dug out fairly deep and steep. Not wanting to leave half of my rear bumper there first thing in the morning, I tried to cross to the shallower water hole on the right but only managed to get the LR3 turned sideways and about 12" from a strategically placed huge stump. Any attempts to move only made me slide further sideways into the stump. Had to have a couple of Syncros winch me out of that one. One to pull from the front with a second one stabilizing the rear from sliding further towards the stump which was now only 4 inches away. Once they pulled me clear of the stump I was able to wrestle her back into track and quickly got out of there.

Took the LR3 and the Disco to higher ground where the water had less chance of pooling and making the ground like butter. Got a chance to play with some sweet obstacles and trails that were drier at higher elevations. The group really had a great time. On out way to lunch, Antonio met up with us. Headed to the mandatory "top of the world" lunch stop. Didn't get to enjoy the view because te entire top was covered in fog but was fun getting there nontheless. The cross roads where Fremontia and McCray meet together on the way up to the top of the world was another super buttery, muddy spot. Took some trial and error to teach the guys driving to keep the vehicles moving forward in that type terrain. Every time they felt the truck start to slide, they'd let off the gas and loose all forward momentum. FINALLY got the concept through their heads and both of my vehicles made it through with no problem. Of course, Antonio just went through in his Rangie making it all look WAY too easy!

While having lunch there, Drew with his wife and three little ones came up and met us there as well. It was hard to tell his LR3 had been white at some point the day prior because at that moment it looked solid "Flat mud" :D On the way back down met up with Lutzy who joined us at that point. Went to the new and then the old obstacle course one more time to see if anyone else had come in late. The old obstacle course was a mud park. Every square inch of the course was mud a foot deep. The guy had a blast practicing their "drifting" skills and doind some very impressive dounuts.

All in all, it was a great time. Was nice meeting Drew and family for the first time and it's always nice to see Lutzy make it all the way up here to join us for a little fun. Headed to Mexxi's for their Cinco de Mayo celebration and had dinned there with the group before heading home. Everyone in my group had nothing but praises about the freshness, flavor and quality of food at Mexxi's. If you've never eaten there yet, you owe it to yourself to taste the best mexican food this side of Mexico. The perfect finish to an awesome day.

I didn't have my act together to make this one

once the rain started the wheels sort of fell off on the home front, wife was a little under the weather, so I decided to stay close to home

Luis, sounds like your new set of shoes worked out better than expected

any pics?

Luis, missed this trip also. I didn't even make it Mexxis. It was a stay indoor rainy wknd for me and family (except Sunday when it finally cleared up). Ahh, next time. No complains - we do need all the rain water we can get.

I didn't have my act together to make this one

once the rain started the wheels sort of fell off on the home front, wife was a little under the weather, so I decided to stay close to home

Luis, sounds like your new set of shoes worked out better than expected

any pics?

Yes, very happy with the Hankooks so far. Had that stump not been there they would have gotten me out of there with no problem. But sliding around in that buttery field was unavoidable for all but the super knoby and very skinny dedicated mud tires the Syncros were using and I didn't want to end up sliding into something and with so many hard obstacles around so close together, it was impracticle to play in the new obstacle course Saturday. The old course was open enough to give you time to redirect the vehicle around the sparse obstacles, so it was a great chance to see the traction of the tires in mud, even as deep as that was.

I would have loved to have another LR3 with a different tire choice to have a good comparison point of traction. Maybe some other time. I did not notice any difference in traction from the Hankooks on mine to the Silent Armors on both my Disco and Antonios Rangie. They seemed to handle the mud with the same traction characteristics. A comparison to the coopers and to the nittos would have been awesome.

I have pictures but my work computer does not let me access the site. I'll post some from the house later.

Which Hankooks did you get? I've been looking at the Dynapro M/Ts, they seem to be pretty highly rated and compare favorably with the Goodrich Mud Terrains.

Which Hankooks did you get? I've been looking at the Dynapro M/Ts, they seem to be pretty highly rated and compare favorably with the Goodrich Mud Terrains.

I got the Dynapro ATMs. I can't go TOO knobby because my LR3 is my daily driver. So I'm in the never ending search for the best grip whith the least tread noise. I was again very impressed to see Antonio take his P38 up the ladder at the old OC with all the mud and rain. The Silent Armors on his rig still found traction on that slick concrete to get him up with very little problem through all that water and mud.

I would LOVE to have a chance at some point in the future to do a more controled "side by side" comparison with other tires over different terrain. Maybe, with so many of our seasoned members getting LR3s added to their family, we should make a date to play hard and make a better study of tires and traction. Let's call it "Find the limits on your LR3's traction" day :cool: I know Tony has his, I believe Carlos and Enrique are close to getting theirs, waiting on Will to get his and lets have a play day!!!!!!! :rolleyes::eek:

Enrique already has an LR3, they're now looking for one for Carlos. David Bregman has one as well, as does Sasquatch Dave of course, and Robb (Winery Rover) has one too although I don't think he wheels, it, he has a Series III and a Defender for that. Quite a number of them in the club actually...

Robb (Winery Rover) has one too although I don't think he wheels, it, he has a Series III and a Defender for that. Quite a number of them in the club actually...

Okay, I admit, the LR3 hasn't been wheeled alot, but it has been on the trails at Hollister a couple of times :P. I just put silent armors on it a couple of weeks ago so it would be fun to to a side by side tire comparision.

Archived