May Morg - *Update* Mendo trip

*UPDATE*

Due to snowpack, I unfortunately have to move the destination of the trip. Planning on trekking up the Mendo NF. More details to follow in the next day or so.

I will plan another trip to Niagra Rim later this year once the snow melts.

Hey hey!

Our May MORG is around the corner! See all the deets below as they stand. Can't wait to see ya'll there!

We will head up into the Mendocino NF, around Lake Pillsbury and back out. 

When: May 18th and 19th

What: May. MORG - overnight camping optional.

Where: Mendocino NF

• Meetup Location: Chevron on CA-20 in Upper Lake

https://maps.app.goo.gl/5dmxW57kRfWYehZ77

• Meeting Time: 09:30AM 

Things to know:

• Easy enough for stock trucks but more fun than just another fire road.
  • This is a MORG - all Rover owners and all vehicle models are welcome to join! If you have a friend that is a rover-head and wants to get a taste for the NCLR club life this would be a good trip.
  • Please feel free to reach out with any questions.
  • I will be coming from San Francisco if anyone wants to meet up along the way we can coordinate

Message if you have any questions or concerns, my number is 415-672-4326

Peace and love,

Mario

Edited by El Chapomint

Assuming I have the 18th off I'll be there! 

Update:

I will be there! Will bring the D2 and hopefully drag a friend or too along with Cassidy. I'm planning on stay for the day. Its about 2 hours from where I am and actually made it to the meeting spot yesterday when I went skiing. There are a lot of fire roads in the area, one of which runs through the backside of the ski resort and is groomed. I'll likely explore those if there's extra time!

Edited by Oliver Draffen

If I can run this with the stock + Johnson rods RRS '19, I'm in.  Oliver says no problem, but I need one other confirming nod as this will be my first tiptoe into Offloading with this truck.   I found this video online that looked a bit more advanced than where I'm at.

On 4/27/2024 at 3:31 PM, Paul Ring said:

If I can run this with the stock + Johnson rods RRS '19, I'm in.  Oliver says no problem, but I need one other confirming nod as this will be my first tiptoe into Offloading with this truck.   I found this video online that looked a bit more advanced than where I'm at.

I did this trail in my  LR4 on 19" wheels with GAP tool lift (I have sliders) on the August 2022 MORG. Sasha was in his LR3, which I think was also stock (maybe a GAP or rod lift). It was a lot of fun! We didn't do any of the technical rock crawling offshoots. 

Here's the link to the photos: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNNGK5_8Fk_BR9jya9179L03k0bnbviqfd2W_zAPPfBScwEszy-k0I9jtDBylln-Q?key=QjdtRV9mYS0zbEhUUkhBSExldGRsQV9uajFQUGd3

And here's the trail map:

Niagara Rim.pdf

Edited by LR4HD

• El Chapomint changed the title to May Morg - *Update* Mendo trip

Unfortunately I will not be able to make it to Mendo NF. Its about 4.5-5.5 hrs each way and 500 miles round trip. I'm taking my roommate and Cassidy, and they need to be back in Merced on the 21st.

If the trail opens I will likely try and run it! My backup plan is to explore some forest roads around Pinecrest on the 18th. I've been dying to travel down 4N34 which runs through the backside of Dodge Ridge and gives you access to the bottom of chair 8 to explore but is closed until May 31st. When it opens I'm planning on exploring it and possibly camping there too!