Forest Maps & Trail Finding Tools

Has anyone purchased any of the U.S. Forest Services maps? Wondering if they are accurate enough and show seasonal closures. I've downloaded onX and roughly used it in the past but want another way to find and navigate trails and roads. Also curious if y'all have other methods and tools to find trails.

I have a bunch of National Geographic paper maps. I like to use them for planning routes in new areas. I prefer it over a scrolling through a screen. Also always a good idea to have a paper map handy in case your electronics fail you. I also recommend getting one of those giant map books. I’ll give include a link to the one I have below. These maps are good since they have forest roads and 4x4 trails in them. They won’t be useful for closures.

https://www.rei.com/product/200310/benchmark-maps-california-road-recreation-atlas-11th-edition?sku=2003100001&store=22&CAWELAID=120217890012091366&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=112274623393&CATCI=pla-904560427867&cm_mmc=PLA_Google|21700000001700551_2003100001|92700057788018066|NB|71700000074090487&gclid=CjwKCAjw-eKpBhAbEiwAqFL0mhyhF9P3CbwSyuIsDZJDOQr4nuwdblJGO0BHggRmFfSdnR8oyZFCTBoCEHYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

IIRC the Forest Service maps do show seasonal closures, but they don't take into account things that close on a case-by-case basis like Dusy or Barrett.  They just show a general "normal" closure date range but of course local jurisdiction can change that.  

I run Gaia, but have been very tempted to go to OnX just because they support 4wd so much more.  I'm not sure if it's actually a better platform or not.  It seems like OnX may have some better 3D features and the land ownership feature if you get the right subscription is interesting but I think Gaia has more map variations.  Again - I "think" since I haven't done more than glance through OnX.

Agreed, on paper maps. I find it is much easier to see the "big" picture and find off-the-beaten path sites when on paper.

I use similar sources to Eric but also pull maps down from the USGS site and print them off on a plotter. 

You can download 7.5 and 15minute quadrangle maps here for free, or purchase them for a fold-up version.

For example, I used 42 7.5minute maps just to route the first two section of Eastern Mojave Heritage Trail. Cumbersome in size , but a ton of detail.