August MORG - White Rock Lake

Alrighty folks! August is right around the corner - and there isn't a better time to head back to a club favorite - White Rock Lake.

What: Overnight Monthly Offroad Gathering - Interested in joining the club but want to meet the folks and check it out first? This is the trip for you! Head on out and say hello and hang with us for a weekend (and of course, great lakeside camping)

Where: White Rock Lake (North West of Truckee) - Download and follow the GPS Track Attached below outlining the route from Truckee to the Lake for Google will lead you astray.

When: Friday, August 11th - Sunday, August 13th 

Who: Hopefully You!

Trip Overview:

• Easy trails, all stock trucks are welcome, the roads can get rough, just watch your speed and you will be fine.
  • Activities - hiking, biking, kayaking, fishing (license needed), lakeside relaxing and forest road trails.
  • Sunday, I may plan to exit to I-80 through the pass to Bowman Lake and then down from there.
  • Itinerary to be posted soon!

image.png

image.png

truckee-to-white-rock-lake.gpx white-rock-lake-exit-through-bowman-lake.gpx bop-over-to-meadow-lake.gpx

I wish we could make this but that weekend is Julia's brother in laws bachalor party so we will be a group of unruly men camping ironically close by in the Sierras. That being said the peak of the perseid meteor shower is Aug 11 to 13 so stay up late one night and make your rover parts wishes.

5 hours ago, Tyler Mattson said:

I wish we could make this but that weekend is Julia's brother in laws bachalor party so we will be a group of unruly men camping ironically close by in the Sierras. That being said the peak of the perseid meteor shower is Aug 11 to 13 so stay up late one night and make your rover parts wishes.

Oh man... and do I have a backlog of rover wishes. Sad to miss you on this one! Next time ; ).

6 hours ago, NCLR074 said:

Is this event still planned? Website says that White Rock is closed.

Hey Folks! Sorry, just getting off the plane and headed home - I do plan on having a trip this weekend.

I will confirm with the Forest Service office tomorrow if white rock is accessible - if not, I'll post a back-up plan no later than Wednesday evening.

Keep your bags packed! ; )

On 8/1/2023 at 9:55 AM, Andrew Wood said:

I love tacos 🌮 

And by "contingent" I mean we will be joined by a couple guys I hope we can use the MoRG to convert to Rover-hood. Right now, one guy has an older 80s? tacoma and the other a tundra. 

But... if I can get the blackstone setup we should do group tacos! 

Good news everyone! White Rock Lake is Open.

I spoke to a very nice Maggie at the Truckee Ranger Station. She said that it technically isn't closed. They use the website status as a deterrent for less prepared folks that don't have the resources to get there. 

Right now, we should expect deep mudholes, rutted out roads, and possibly some snow. So nothing we haven't tackled before ; ).

I’ve sold a set of brakes and rotors from one of my cars to a guy that lives in Livermore.  If I bring them along this weekend was wondering whether someone that lives closer to there might carry the brakes home so that the buyer could pick them up without having to drive all the way to to Reno.

Thanks!

On 8/8/2023 at 6:03 PM, Mr.BlueSky said:

Good news everyone! White Rock Lake is Open.

I spoke to a very nice Maggie at the Truckee Ranger Station. She said that it technically isn't closed. They use the website status as a deterrent for less prepared folks that don't have the resources to get there. 

Right now, we should expect deep mudholes, rutted out roads, and possibly some snow. So nothing we haven't tackled before ; ).

Sounds great!

I’m sad that I won’t be able to come. Too many things to do.

Will wait for the stories.

Alrighty! We are packing and getting ready to go!

Managed to get the rear driveshaft changed out last night and the refurbished radiator in (original radiator began leaking again on the way back from Oregon).

Not sure yet if we will manage to get the grill packed yet... : (.

Hopefully we will be hitting the road around 12 noon tomorrow. Later than I had hoped, but c'est la vie

1 hour ago, Mffoster said:

Are we meeting at the lake?

Yeah, let’s plan on this. With the Friday start folks are a bit scattered.

Once we hit the road I’ll give an update on when we expect to hit Truckee.