July MORG - Bald Mountain 7/14-16 - CANCELED

**********CANCELED ***********
Now that the June MORG is in the books, time to move onto the July MORG. The July MORG will be the same trail run as last years Annual. We will running Bald Mountain near shaver Lake and this will be a rock crawling trip that can accommodate all Land Rovers, not just the built up ones with monster tires, lockers, and armor. But if you do happen to have those things, this trail can also provide plenty of challenges for you as well.

The basic plan will be to find a place to disperse camp along Rock Creek Rd. There are plenty of spots that can accommodate large groups, so I don’t anticipate any issues with just showing up and finding a spot. I will be showing up Friday, finding a spot, and leaving a marker at on Rock Creek Rd to make camp easy to find. I will post up a picture of said marker once I figure out what that will be. There was also some talk about a group BBQ, details to come on that. 

We will be running the trail Saturday with a departure time from camp of 9am sharp. Depending on who and how many are coming we may run two groups. There is an easy and a hard (not really that hard) side up Bald Mountain. If all the vehicles can handle the hard side, that’s what we will be doing. If some can’t, then we will also run a group on the easy side and meet at the top. The trail is fun and has a bunch of satisfying climbs and plenty of optional obstacles to play on.

There are plenty of hotel rooms and private rentals in the area of camping isn’t preferred. Also plenty of hiking and lake recreation opportunities, so making a longer weekend and enjoying the surrounding area is definitely worth doing if you can swing it. Even additional rock crawling is worth considering as there are a bunch of trails nearby worth doing (Brewer Lake, Swamp Lake, Red Mountain area).

Map photo is of where you want to turn from Dinkey Creek Rd to Rock Creek Rd. From there you’ll want to just look out for our marker. I will also try to find some cell service and give a better description of where we are at on Friday.

IMG_3855.jpeg

IMG_3565.jpeg

Edited by Elherbinator

• 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Elherbinator said:

Can I get a headcount for who’s coming along with your general arrival/ departure/ camping/ trail plans?

I’ll definitely consider coming with my mom. She has a disco also but idk if she wants to bring it Offroad. I’ll update this post if plans change 

Sadly I'm still working and prepping for rovicon. Also there was a new forest order released and it says ball mountain is closed but they may have it open I'd give them a call.

3 hours ago, lutz said:

Sadly I'm still working and prepping for rovicon. Also there was a new forest order released and it says ball mountain is closed but they may have it open I'd give them a call.

I didn’t think Bald would be an issue mid July, but I’ll call them this week. The forest service hasn’t updated the trails since May 31st, so I am hopeful. So far I only have a maybe from Oscar, so if the trail is closed and I don’t get more verified participants then I’m just going to cancel it.

If I have time to get D2 ready (put back exhaust and fix the hub leak) I'll be there. I'll have a few days right before the MORG to do this, so I would say the chances are high that I will come.

This is of corse if the trail is open.

I called the ranger office this morning. The OHV manager is out of the office this week, but the person who was available to speak with said that it is scheduled to open on July 15th. So I am going to stick with the original plan and hopefully be able to confirm with the OHV manager the opening of the trail on Monday. I will need to get some confirmations from attendees though, otherwise no point in making the trip happen if there won’t be at least a handful of trucks showing up. So let me know if you are planning on making the trip.

Hi Eric. I will join if the trip goes ahead. I’d like to stay at either Dinkey Creek or Camp Edison rather than dispersed camping. I won’t have much time to prep as I’m in Europe this week. I can drive up Friday afternoon and camp for two nights. 

On 7/9/2023 at 3:04 PM, RobertDingli said:

Hi Eric. I will join if the trip goes ahead. I’d like to stay at either Dinkey Creek or Camp Edison rather than dispersed camping. I won’t have much time to prep as I’m in Europe this week. I can drive up Friday afternoon and camp for two nights. 

There arent any campsites available. They book up an amazing amount of time in advance. There are not many first come first sites offered at those campgrounds, so dispersed camping will be the plan by default. There are plenty of good dispersed campsites around. I’m going to call the OHV manager and confirm that the trail is open tomorrow. So far this looks like the roster:

Eric - D2

Sasha (likely) - D2 

Robert - D2

Oscar (considering)- D1

Paul (tentative) - L322

Edited by Elherbinator

I’m tentative. I need to see how work progresses this week. I haven’t put my gear away from the Oregon trip, so it can be a last minute decision.

I’ll make sure that I get the replacement spare mounted too. Pretty sure that the current one won’t hold air  

my L322 should be able to keep up on the harder trail - assuming with all of D’s going…

I’m calling it. MORG is canceled due to lack of confirmed attendees. So far only Robert is confirmed. I spoke to the ranger station and they are “projected” to open Bald this week if it’s of interest to anybody. Looks like we might be doing a wrenching day/ bbq/ podcast session at my house on Saturday in San Jose. DM Me if you want to come and hang out.

• Elherbinator changed the title to July MORG - Bald Mountain 7/14-16 - CANCELED