P38 Oil Question

alpaca

I use Mobil 1 high mileage synthetic 10w-40 in my D2. I go with the slightly heavier than average viscosity because when I drive it, I usually have it running for very long periods. As a trail rig, I am typically driving multiple hours to get to the trail and then have it running for many hours on trail. So the engine is usually hot and has relatively few cold starts per mike or hours run. So that was my strategy with switching from a 30 to 40 viscosity. The winter viscosity doesn’t need to be too low since it doesn’t really get too cold here and I only snow wheel it a few times a year max typically

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...
I use Dino oil. 15w 40 Delco from Costco. It's an old design without the tight tolerances in new engines requiring synthetic. Main thing is to change regularly. I used synthetic for a few years and then switched. I also run standard green coolant and no DexCool. 4.0/4.6 is 1960s technology pushrod engine.

I use Dino oil. 15w 40 Delco from Costco. It's an old design without the tight tolerances in new engines requiring synthetic. Main thing is to change regularly. I used synthetic for a few years and then switched. I also run standard green coolant and no DexCool. 4.0/4.6 is 1960s technology pushrod engine.

I run Mobil1 15w50.

It’s heavy weight, but synthetic runs even in cold.

That said, I use it bc of higher zinc content that’s typically recommended for these older rover engine designs.

That and these engines usually run hot and benefit from the 50 weight.

I buy these by the 5qt jugs when they have sale and rebates on them.

I think they work out to maybe $4/qt some times.