Sequoia NF & Kings Canyon Trip - new dates: Aug 30 - Sept 1

Unfortunately for me, work gets in the way of life... i won't make the original dates, and plan to run this on Aug 30 - Sept 1.

If someone wants to run on the 16-18th, I'd be happy to share the Gaia map. 

Thanks for your patience! 

Same plan, different days... 

• When: August 30 - Sept (Friday to Sunday). 
  • 3 days trip - Friday to Sunday. We'll start from Shaver Lake, and through forest roads, make our way south towards Buck Rock Lookout point. If there is enough interest, would consider extending to 4 days. 

• Day 1: Shaver Lake to campsite (30mi). Given the 4hrs+ drive from bay area, this leg to campsite will be short & straight forward. This will gives folks plenty of time to get to campground before dark, set camp and relax a bit. There is a gas station at Shaver Lake, so you can gas up for the weekend here. Most of this section is paved before getting onto forest roads. Along the way, we will drive past the McKinley Grove, and we can stop here for a quick break and wander amongst the giants. After this stop, the forest road will take us to 1st camp at Sawmill Flat CG with 15 campsites. We will make camp here the first night.

• Day 2: Sawmill Flat to Big Meadow CG (80mi). We will continue south on forest roads. Depending on timing, we can break along the Kings River at Mill Flat CG. We will continue south until we hit RT180 (paved road). We will make a left continuing on RT180 into Sequoia National Park (bring your National Park Pass if you have it).  We will stop at the Grant Grove Village (visitor center, convenient shop & restrooms), followed by a stop to see the General Grant Tree.
    After this stop, we’ll continue north for approx.. 10mi to Hume Lake, where folks can gas up. Then we head south again towards Big Meadow CG area, find a nice patch of dirt and set camp for the evening.

• Day 3: From Big Meadow CG, we will take a longer route over to Buck Rock lookout.  For those up to it, we’ll hike (stairs) up to the look out, chat with the ranger staying there and learn about the area. After this, we can explore the area some more, find a spot for lunch before making the trip back to South Bay (~220 miles/4hrs+)