Gauging Interest - Moab March 16 - 23

I got a f250 Powerstroke willing to let you borrow it or rent it if you would like.  It should have not problem towing your D1 there plus it has a 50gl diesel tank in that back so you don't have to make that many stops. :-)

Thanks Antonio - see what happens when I don't log in here enough?  Now I've gone and bought a big van that can do the towing but it won't be as nice as your truck!

As for trailering v. driving, I do prefer to drive most of the time but that's a long trip in the topless D1.  Plus as I learned with the race cars, even if it's street legal and can be driven to the track you go faster when there's a trailer to get you back home.  :)  I'd hate to be in Moab and skip the fun lines just to be sure I have a ride home at the end of the week!

I’m interested in this trip. Would be coming over from Reno, probably with my D90. Is this a “guys trip” or will wives/partners be coming along? My wife would not want to be a sole lady on the trail.

Mike Foster

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike, I expect my wife will be coming but she hasn't confirmed yet with her work schedule.  She may just fly into SLC and meet me there.

Well, this trip is on my calendar and I’ve sent a reservation request to the Basecamp Adventure Lodge for March 19-22. My plan is to meet the group in Grand Junction on the 16th and drive along the Kokopelli Trail through to Moab. My wife Leigh Anne will most likely not come - she really doesn’t like long drives in a soft top Defender.

I stopped working a couple of years ago and am finally getting back into to playing with my trucks. I’ll probably be driving my 94 NAS D90 that I’ve had since new. It’s fairly well set up with 33†tires, GBR super duper 4.14 gears with Truetracs front and rear and an ARB bumper with a Warn M1000. I met Don Happel and others at the WNLRR this past fall. He was the leader for a couple of trails I took and I managed to keep up fairly well. I did end up replacing all my shocks (both rears broke - fairly new OME’s) with Fox 2.0 remote reservoirs.

Wow.  This sounds like a great trip.  I don't think I can make it work.  A week on the trail with a baby would likely make this trip not so much fun.  And no way the Mrs. will sign a week long hall pass.   We spent a few days in Moab in 2006 while we were passing through.  We loved it there and I have always dreamed of going back.  I'll wait until the boy can better tolerate long car rides.  Hopefully in the 109

Looks like we're getting pretty good interest in this.  Should be a great trip!

Mr. Fuller, sorry you won't be able to make it but given Jr. isn't even 1 yet that's hardly surprising.  You will of course have to do make-up work later to catch up with the rest of the class.   :P

For those who haven't been, Moab is really a must-do.  It's different than our Sierra wheeling - less technical I guess you'd say in that it's less about finding inch-perfect tire placement since you don't have so many loose boulders.  And the grip is amazing.  It's actually a really good place to put the traction control systems of the late model trucks to good work.  Hint Hint.

I haven't made my official plans on where we'll stay or when we'll arrive.  I expect I'll skip the overland portion though it does sound appealing.  I do plan to trailer the D1 out.  Yes I know that's the wimpy way to do it but it'll be more comfortable, probably not get that much worse gas mileage, and let me try some more aggressive trails without worrying about breaking things.

Most likely we'll stay somewhere in town where we can cash in our Marriott points, but I don't recall what hotels are there off the top of my head.  

You know, the more I think about it the more I'm leaning toward doing the Kokopelli as well.  I'd still trailer out but would just drop the tow pig in Moab then run up to the start of the trail to meet you.  Looks like it's only about 90 min on the highway to get there (100 mi).

Michele and I are going to do some calendar planning this weekend so stay tuned for further developments.

Well, this trip is on my calendar and I’ve sent a reservation request to the Basecamp Adventure Lodge for March 19-22. My plan is to meet the group in Grand Junction on the 16th and drive along the Kokopelli Trail through to Moab. My wife Leigh Anne will most likely not come - she really doesn’t like long drives in a soft top Defender.

I stopped working a couple of years ago and am finally getting back into to playing with my trucks. I’ll probably be driving my 94 NAS D90 that I’ve had since new. It’s fairly well set up with 33” tires, GBR super duper 4.14 gears with Truetracs front and rear and an ARB bumper with a Warn M1000. I met Don Happel and others at the WNLRR this past fall. He was the leader for a couple of trails I took and I managed to keep up fairly well. I did end up replacing all my shocks (both rears broke - fairly new OME’s) with Fox 2.0 remote reservoirs.

Great to see you on here! I remember telling you that you were too close not join on some outings...didn’t expect Moab to be your first lol

Wish I could make this but my time off is restricted with my final year of grad school.

Next time.

I'm formalizing my plans.

Looks like Michele can join us for the first part of the trip but not the latter.  So we'll plan to trailer out, probably leaving about noon on Friday the 15th and stopping somewhere on the way, arriving on the 16th in Moab.  I'll drop the truck and trailer and switch to the Rover and Michele and I will do Kokopeli with you, then we'll head back to Grand Junction that night and get a room there.  Michele will fly out from GJ early the next morning, 19th,  and I'll head back down to join the group for the balance of the trip.

I'll have to figure out where I'm staying in Moab and if they'll let me leave my trailer there a couple days early.  I expect they're used to such things so don't anticipate any trouble.

Chuck,

Where are you staying at Basecampadventurelodge?  I see they offer a variety of options.  Probably best if we can plan to be in the same area as it sounds like it might get a bit spread out otherwise.

• 1 month later...

Trip is getting closer . Tammy and I are calling a few RV/campgrounds in Moab.The road to Last Hurrah look a little tight for trailers.We are also planing to join the Kokopelli run.Whats everyone's plan for camping?

• 2 weeks later...

I’m booked at the Basecamp Adventure Lodge Place. Not many updates on this trip, but I’m planning on going over from Reno and my wife may come along.

Mike F

You'll want to connect with Don, be great to carpool over!

Wish I was making this one!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Getting closer to the Kokopelli/Moab trip. Schedule still the same - plan on starting from Grand Junction at about 9:00 AM on the 17th? I’m putting the winch back on the front of my D90 and topping up all the oils.

I’ll be skipping the initial trail run and aim to meet you guys on Monday night at Base Camp Adventure Lodge. I haven’t booked yet but probably intend to camp there.

If there are any delays in our travels and we are forced to spend Monday night on the road, we will aim to get there as early as possible on Tuesday.

Just wanting to confirm dates for the Moab part of the trip.

I see in the itinerary that there are plans to start the Moab trail run on Tuesday (3/19) but also that people have booked accommodation in Moab from Tuesday night.

Does this mean that there are plans to camp somewhere else on Monday night and go straight to the Moab trails?

Alternatively, should the Moab trail plan actually start on Wednesday?

I was planning on arriving late on Monday to be ready for the Tuesday trail runs. However, I would prefer to arrive on Tuesday to spread out our 15 hour trek from the Bay Area. I have a hard earliest start time constraint of Sunday afternoon due to flights.

I see in the itinerary that there are plans to start the Moab trail run on Tuesday (3/19) but also that people have booked accommodation in Moab from Tuesday night.

Does this mean that there are plans to camp somewhere else on Monday night and go straight to the Moab trails?

I was planning on arriving late on Monday to be ready for the Tuesday trail runs. However, I would prefer to arrive on Tuesday to spread out our 15 hour trek from the Bay Area. I have a hard earliest start time constraint of Sunday afternoon due to flights.

Looking at Chuck's original post my plan is:

Sat 3/16 travel day (possibly leave on Friday if we can get away and take 2 days instead of one long day)

Sun 3/17 start Kokopelli trail

Mon 3/18 Kokopelli trail

Tues 3/19, drop Michele at airport then return to Moab - start Moab wheeling

Wed 3/20 thru Sat 3/23 - Moab Wheeling

Sun 3/24 - travel home, again with the option of breaking it into 2 days if needed. (unlikely since I'll be returning solo.  if I get tired I'll probably just pull over and sleep in the van a few hours)

I have not yet made any reservations due to general procrastination.  But I'll probably get a hotel near the airport Grand Junction Sat night, leave the van/trailer there while doing Kokopelli, then return and stay there again Monday night after coming off the Kokopelli since she will have an early AM flight out on Tuesday.  From there I'll head down and meet up at Base Camp Adventures - at least I think so since I haven't actually made any reservations.  I know Lutz was thinking about going somewhere else so that's an option for me as well I suppose.  Base Camp is pretty far out there but since Chuck will be there I figured I'd probably do it as well.  I'll just plan to sleep in the van.  Unless Michele tells me we have an over-abundance of Marriot points we need to burn or something, in which case I may 'rough it'   :P

Plan would be to camp on trail Monday night then get to base camp adventures on Tuesday. Serious trail runs would start wed, thurs, fri, sat

Wait - so my itinerary above is a day off? Do you plan to start Kokopelli on Sunday morning and spend two nights on the trail before getting to Moab or Monday morning and spend just that night on the trail?

From your original post it looked like the plan was to start the trail Monday, spend Monday night on the trail, then get to Moab Tuesday night.

I R Confused

We would overnight in Grand Junctiob at trail head Saturday night. Then take trail on Sunday, spend Sunday night on trail, also Monday. have room booked at Last Hurrah starting Tuesday.night so we can do trails that day too. I have to pick up my Dad who is flying in Tuesday night.

Turning this into the official Kokopelli/Moab thread.

Dates: March 15 and/or 16th to commute to Grand Junction. March 17th and 18th on the Kokopelli Trail. March 19th through March 23rd near Moab at Last Hurrah, and March 24th for the commute home.

Description: Part 1 of this trip will be following the world famous Kokopelli Mountain Biking trail from Grand Junction to Moab Utah (in Rovers of course). Part 2 of this trip will be overnighting near Moab (in Last Hurrah) while running trails the 19th - the 23rd. I am open for trail ideas, current thinking is:

Plan would be to camp on trail Monday night then get to base camp adventures on Tuesday. Serious trail runs would start wed, thurs, fri, sat

As I read the original itinerary it sounds like you plan to start Kokopelli the morning of Sunday the 17th, camp on the trail that night, and arrive at Base Camp Adventures the evening of Monday the 18th.  

But the second post just above sounds like you've moved that back a day.

IR Confused ...  which is correct?

Thanks for clarification. We will plan to get there on Tuesday then. This will give my brother a chance to rest overnight in the Bay Area after stepping off a 13 hr flight and avoid driving through the night. We will probably go via Las Vegas and make the 6 hr run to Moab on Tuesday morning. We may be able to join for any trail runs later on Tuesday.

I plan to stay at the Last Hurrah. Assuming rooms are still available, does anyone want to share a multi berth room with two smart lookin’ Aussies? If others are camping, I like that option as well but will bring the RTT.

Hey Don, make sure Michelle gets to airport in time. When we went to the national , RonB missed getting to the gate in time and he got stuck another night with us. GJ is a small airport with few flights in or out. as for hotels ask Jared he may remember the name of the place we stayed at.

OK, MIchele and I are going to stay in GJ at the Residence Inn on Saturday night then start the trail with you guys on Sunday morning.  We'll spend Sunday night on the trail with the group then Monday night we'll be back at the same hotel so she can catch an early flight out on Tuesday.  I'll leave my van and trailer at the hotel while we're on the trail.  After I drop her at the airport on Tuesday I'll take the whole rig to Base Camp Adventure Lodge where I'll camp in the van the rest of the week.  

At least that's my plan - I'll call Base Camp tomorrow and make sure they have space.

Well looks like Tammy and i are no going to make Moab. The defender needs more work and i have some business things that need to be accomplished this week.

I’m starting to pack for the trip, and will be driving straight through from Reno to Grand Junction on Saturday. I’ll load my cooler for the first couple of days on the Kokopelli trail. Are there markets somewhere close in Moab to pick up more food once we get to the Basecamp Lodge - I booked a room there starting Tuesday the 19th.

Mike F