2018 trips

Hello all, I wanted to give everybody a quick run-down of some of the trips I have in mind for this spring/summer.

I have not put hard dates on these yet but will start trying to pin them down.  All are on NF land and as such are closed until April (either the 1st or 15th depending on location) but of course last year with the heavy snows many had delayed openings.  I don't anticipate that this year but then again we have had some late season snows so I can't say for certain until the day comes.

On with it then!

Slick Rock - this would be a 2-day even, camping at the slabs near the start of the trail on a Friday night, running the trail Saturday, and possibly camping again Sat. night.  Moderate trail with challenging spots.

Corral Hollow/Sour Grass - I'd like to do these 2 together.  Could also be an overnight, camping at the end of Sour Grass.  Easy trail with a few moderate spots (water crossings on Sour Grass)

Intro to Rubicon - would like to do a one day 'play on the slabs' event.  Could be made into an overnight with camping at Spider if we want.  This would be a chance for those who haven't done it to get a taste of the Rubicon and see how they like it and if they or their trucks are up for it.  Challenging trail.

Full Rubicon - This summer we'll want to do a full thru-run from Loon Lake to Tahoe.  Depending on who comes we'll do this as 2 or 3 days and will do it mid-week to avoid heavy traffic.  Challenging trail.

Deer Valley - I'd like to do a thru-run on this trail.  Perhaps come up Friday night and camp at the south end then head through early Saturday morning.  Moderate to Challenging trail.

Signal Peak - I'd like to get an overnight in here to include day and night runs.  Moderate trail with optional challenges.

I'll also be doing some overnight scouting/mapping runs to the highway 4 corridor in preparation for the Western National event in September.   These will mostly be easy to moderate trails and won't be normal trial runs as I'll be exploring and will likely involve a lot of wrong turns and backtracking but it's stuff I need to do this spring once the snows clear and the trails open.  I'm happy to have a couple of members join me on these trips though.

I realize I have had this stuff percolating in my head for some time now and to me it seem like I've got a packed schedule (don't forget I still have to maintain 2 rovers, host the occasional wrenching day, oh yeah, and keep the house and normal job going!) but I haven't necessarily put this stuff down on (digital) paper so unless you've chatted with me at an event you wouldn't realize this stuff was part of the agenda.  I'll be looking at my schedule come this weekend and will start putting some tentative dates together for these events then.  I've had pretty poor results lately trying to get trips and members on the same schedule, but hopefully we'll be able to get at least a few of you out on the trails and if you miss your favorite just remember, you too can lead a trail run!

I am game :)  I am eager to test out my new RTT too.

I am planning on doing Miller Jeep trail and  Anza Borrego also.

especially this: I'll also be doing some overnight scouting/mapping runs to the highway 4 corridor in preparation for the Western National event in September.   These will mostly be easy to moderate trails and won't be normal trial runs as I'll be exploring and will likely involve a lot of wrong turns and backtracking but it's stuff I need to do this spring once the snows clear and the trails open.  I'm happy to have a couple of members join me on these trips though.

Hoping the snow is gone to run Rubicon in early June or maybe the mid week before Western national .Will be setting up a Pismo trip for early November if the dunes have room to drive :(

We will be doing an official pre-rally Rubicon run, but that will be mostly targeted at non-locals who've never been.  Our club can run it any time so I'd like to keep those spots open for 'outsiders'.   But June sounds like a good time to do a full run-through to see what it looks like up there this year.

As usual, I'd MUCH prefer to do it mid-week instead of on a weekend to avoid crowds.    Let's start zeroing in on a date - anything that does or doesn't work for you?  I'm pretty open in June so far as I know.

I’m down for a Rubicon run, but I’m not really ever available during the week. I personally prefer running it late in the season too. Water is warmer. It’s not too bad on the weekends if you can avoid any of the large events going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don

I like the sound of lots of these trips and as I have it calculated I should be done with the bathroom by end of April so that should free up some time...  We will have to see what the honey do list consists of after that.  I am making progress though.  Plumbing rough in completed last night minus one cap.  Pressure test tonight.  Then off to the tile.   You know I'm down for a Rubicon run if I can get the time.  It would work best for me to maybe do a thrusday, friday saturday type of trip, which would still avoid most of the yahoos.  I also am interested in the other trails you mentioned but again, projects...  we will see.  

If push comes to shove I'd go on a a weekend, I just prefer to avoid people in general on any trip.  That's me - Captain Social.

I'm pretty open on timing with some advance notice.  I generally try to schedule my weekends free though I do occasionally have to work.

Ideally we would try to get in a day-trip to introduce those who might want to go but aren't sure if they're up to it.  Depending on snow levels we should be able to make that happen.    I'll start a thread specifically on that today.

Don't forget Expo West in Flagstaff May 18th to 20th. Nick and I will have a booth showcasing our Overland Pros gear.

Hoping we can get some NCLR folks out there.

• 1 month later...

Archived