Easy-ish Death Valley trip week of 4/2

I'm planning on taking my boys on an epic CA road trip during their spring break and we'd like to do some dispersed camping as part of it.  Weather-wise, it seems like a good time of year to visit Death Valley.  I'm looking for recommendations on trails that would be doable in a near stock LR4.  And of course, if someone else would like to join in the fun, so much the better!

I'm planning on taking my boys on an epic CA road trip during their spring break and we'd like to do some dispersed camping as part of it. Weather-wise, it seems like a good time of year to visit Death Valley. I'm looking for recommendations on trails that would be doable in a near stock LR4. And of course, if someone else would like to join in the fun, so much the better!

Pretty much everything can be done in a stock LR4. Echo Pass has a tough ledge that would probably give you trouble, but I can’t think of another area I’ve been in that would be too difficult. Here are a few trails that I think are worth doing:

1. Mengal pass through to Butte Valley. It’s in your FunTreks book. Mengal pass has a cool narrow canyon to go through and a lot of cool stops to check, including Charles Manson’s old cabin ruins and other old cabins. It also has a couple challenging rocky spots to keep it interesting, but nothing an LR4 couldn’t handle in offroad mode. Mengal Pass runs into Butte Valley, that is an easy road that will take to West Side Road. If you head North on West Side Road there are 4 canyon roads you can take on the left that will lead into dispersed camping into the canyon. It’ll be nice isolated over there. That trip can usually fill an entire day.

2. The racetrack is cool to check out on the north end of the park. The trail as laid out in your funtreks will take all day and will lead you by some of the popular tour attractions like the tea kettle junction and the moving rocks. I forget what it is called, but there is a very rocky section near the last 1/4 of the trail. Nothing too large, but just a lot of sharp rocks and it’s narrow. It’s avoidable if you don’t follow the guide on funtreks and bypass between waypoint 5 and 6.

3. Cottonwood Canyon is a place we like to go camp at. It’s usually used by a lot of hikers and backpackers, but not too many vehicles go deep into the canyon. It’s nice because the start of the trail is right at Stovepipe Wells, so they have a restaurant/ bar there, a gift shop, gas, and a motel that you can easily sneak in and use the pool and shower facilities if you’re feeling too grimy. We would hit up nearby trails and end for dinner at Stovepipe Wells, then after dinner cruise down Cottonwood Canyon and camp.

If you have any questions about specific trails, hit me up and I’ll let you know if I have been on them and what to expect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the detailed reply as well as the tips last night about Kernville and Lake Isabella. TeaKettle junction is high on my list and the kids would like that too. Camping at Cottonwood sounds pretty cool too.

I have to be back by Thursday-ish, so I think the SCLR trip is too late for me but man it sounds like fun.

Chad, we'd love the company! Depending on your availabity we could caravan or rendesvous there. I can leave as early as the 31st, if that helps with your work schedule.

The trails people are mentioning are fairly well traveled,. Two of my other favorite spots (that are well traveled) would be a drive up the hill to Cerro Gordo as well as Echo Canyon (think I got that right) that has a nice mine and is the place I almost always see Desert Bighorn. Titus Canyon, while not needing 4x4 (we did it in a Prius once) is a pretty awesome place.

Thanks for the detailed reply as well as the tips last night about Kernville and Lake Isabella. TeaKettle junction is high on my list and the kids would like that too. Camping at Cottonwood sounds pretty cool too.

I have to be back by Thursday-ish, so I think the SCLR trip is too late for me but man it sounds like fun.

Chad, we'd love the company! Depending on your availabity we could caravan or rendesvous there. I can leave as early as the 31st, if that helps with your work schedule.

Good stuff. My work schedule is up in the air right now, have a project test that may be during that week, so.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Don't plan around me, and if I can jump in I will.

The trails people are mentioning are fairly well traveled,. Two of my other favorite spots (that are well traveled) would be a drive up the hill to Cerro Gordo as well as Echo Canyon (think I got that right) that has a nice mine and is the place I almost always see Desert Bighorn. Titus Canyon, while not needing 4x4 (we did it in a Prius once) is a pretty awesome place.

It’s Inyo Canyon connecting to Echo Pass

Nice. You sound like you've travelled around... have you ever been to Bob and Ward's cabin?

Maybe? I’ve seen a lot of cabins around Death Valley and other places, can’t remember all the names. I’ve gone through a lot the trails in Death Valley, but there are a lot more I probably haven’t seen over there.

2. The racetrack is cool to check out on the north end of the park. The trail as laid out in your funtreks will take all day and will lead you by some of the popular tour attractions like the tea kettle junction and the moving rocks. I forget what it is called, but there is a very rocky section near the last 1/4 of the trail. Nothing too large, but just a lot of sharp rocks and it’s narrow. It’s avoidable if you don’t follow the guide on funtreks and bypass between waypoint 5 and 6.

How do you bypass between waypoint 5 and 6?  I looked on Google earth and it seems like there is a turn off before that may be a milder trail.  Is that it?

How do you bypass between waypoint 5 and 6? I looked on Google earth and it seems like there is a turn off before that may be a milder trail. Is that it?

I haven’t been down that route, but that was what I was referring too. Everybody else was going the other way. We were the only one who went according to the funtreks guide. It’s a fun trail that nearly any stock suv can do. It has some cool canyon rock features and some fun crawling practice.

Thanks for all the help.  Close to an itinerary involving camping Saturday and Sunday or Sunday and Monday nights, and then heading to Los Angeles to visit family.  Most likely scenario is below.  I could see Titus and Cottonwood being swapped out for TeaKettle Junction, which also has a dispersed camping area, if that makes a difference for someone else joining.

Friday 3/30 Leave Alameda in the PM and head to Tahoe

Saturday 3/31 Tahoe to Lone Pine.  Stop at Bodie Ghost Town and dry camp in Alabama Hills.

Sunday 4/1 - Head to Titus Canyon and then Camping in Cottonwood.

Monday 4/2 - back to the Bay or on to Los Angeles to visit family

Thanks for all the help. Close to an itinerary involving camping Saturday and Sunday or Sunday and Monday nights, and then heading to Los Angeles to visit family. Most likely scenario is below. I could see Titus and Cottonwood being swapped out for TeaKettle Junction, which also has a dispersed camping area, if that makes a difference for someone else joining.

Saturday 3/31 Tahoe to Lone Pine. Stop at Bodie Ghost Town and dry camp in Alabama Hills.

Mmmm, back on Monday. I might be able to join.

Thanks for all the help. Close to an itinerary involving camping Saturday and Sunday or Sunday and Monday nights, and then heading to Los Angeles to visit family. Most likely scenario is below. I could see Titus and Cottonwood being swapped out for TeaKettle Junction, which also has a dispersed camping area, if that makes a difference for someone else joining.

Saturday 3/31 Tahoe to Lone Pine. Stop at Bodie Ghost Town and dry camp in Alabama Hills.

Couple of things, not a lot of good camping near Tea Kettle Junction. It may allow dispersed camping, but I don’t think you’ll want to stay there. Your Sunday plan could be more ambitious. Titus and Cottonwood are pretty short trails. The paved road to get from Alabama Hills to Titus is a long stretch. Cerro Gordo might be a cool alternative to Titus. Alabama to Cerro to Stovepipe (for the food, drink, gas, shop) to Cottonwood might be a good option to fill a day. Sounds like a fun trip tho! Be looking forward to hear how it goes!

Thanks for the advice.  I was a bit worried about the "not for novice drivers" note in FunTreks about Cerro Gordo, but I see your point about the long drive to Titus.  With a group going, I think we could make a go of Cerro Gordo.  Probably wouldn't do it on my own.   FunTreks marks Cottonwood/Marble Canyon as 5 hours worth of driving.  In your experience is it shorter?  

Thanks for the advice. I was a bit worried about the "not for novice drivers" note in FunTreks about Cerro Gordo, but I see your point about the long drive to Titus. With a group going, I think we could make a go of Cerro Gordo. Probably wouldn't do it on my own. FunTreks marks Cottonwood/Marble Canyon as 5 hours worth of driving. In your experience is it shorter?

The 5 hour estimate is likely round trip. We can get to the end of Cottonwood Canyon in an hour if we hustle, but it still should be no more than 2 hours to get to the end. Its not a bad trail to run at night either, just easier to find a campsite during daylight. So if you want to hang out at the bar / restaurant for awhile, it’s not a big deal to do the trail as a night run. Since you’ll be there Sunday night, the cave and other campsites in Cottonwood Canyon will probably be vacant.

Thanks for the advice. I was a bit worried about the "not for novice drivers" note in FunTreks about Cerro Gordo, but I see your point about the long drive to Titus. With a group going, I think we could make a go of Cerro Gordo. Probably wouldn't do it on my own. FunTreks marks Cottonwood/Marble Canyon as 5 hours worth of driving. In your experience is it shorter?

Another side trip to consider is Trona Pinnacles. Merlyn and I passed through on our way home on our last trip to DV. Not far off the main road, kind of neat and not something you need to spend more than 30 minutes at.

You have to do Titus Canyon, has some of the best “scenery†even though it’s easy. It’s a good way to get into DV when coming in from the East.

The Racetrack was a huge disappointment. Too many miles of washboard and not that interesting. Lipincott is at the end of the road and worth doing.

Stovepipe Wells is an excellent “base campâ€. (Good food, bar, general store, available showers and centrally located)

Titus Canyon below:

04ee48b6509c83c05249274a5f1fcc7b.jpg

Love the shoy of Titus Canyon. Checked the timing of the drive. If anyone is on the fence because of leaving Friday night, it would be feasible to meet at Bodie or Lone Pine on Saturday.

555483d3fb50585ae24f952325051862.jpg

8a41042993c3b5896d812ac56e464011.jpg

Here’s a shot of the cave you can camp in at the end of Cottonwood Canyon. It’s pretty cool and different.

That camping spot looks so sweet.  Camping nights are set for Alabama Hills and Cottonwood Canyon and I am finalizing details on Sunday's drive tonight.  I have installed GAIA gps and downloaded the FunTreks waypoints.  Planning to map create the route files tonight.  Happy to share with anyone who wants them once I figure out how to do that.  I believe Robert is in for the trip.  Any other takers?

That camping spot looks so sweet. Camping nights are set for Alabama Hills and Cottonwood Canyon and I am finalizing details on Sunday's drive tonight. I have installed GAIA gps and downloaded the FunTreks waypoints. Planning to map create the route files tonight. Happy to share with anyone who wants them once I figure out how to do that. I believe Robert is in for the trip. Any other takers?

Remember to check above you before setting up camp inside a cave. You can often see what rocks look loose and might come down.

Archived