My brother posted about this company on his Facebook page and I thought it was interesting.  The vehicle seems very Defender inspired - at least on the exterior.

Bollinger Motors 

POWERTRAIN

• All Wheel Drive (AWD)
  • 0-60 in 4.5 sec
  • Top Speed 127 mph
  • 360 Horsepower
  • 472 lb-ft Torque
  • Dual Front/ Rear Motor
  • 60 kWh or 100 kWh Energy Storage
  • 120 Mile or 200 Mile Range
  • 67.4 est. MPGe
  • Charge Time 60 kWh (from fully depleted) Level 2 (220v): 7 hours
  • Charge Time 100 kWh (from fully depleted) Level 2 (220v): 12 hours
  • DC charging compatible
  • J1772 (110 & 220) & CHAdeMO (DC Fast) Charging Ports
  • Electronic locking differentials (front and rear)
  • Dual Front/Rear, 2 speed HI/LO range gearboxes. 4x Torque multiplication in LO range
  • Top Speed LO Range: 32 mph
CAPACITY
  • 3900 lbs Total Vehicle Weight
  • 295 lbs Chassis Weight
  • 10.8 Power / Weight Ratio
  • 6100 lbs Towing Capacity
  • 6100 lbs Payload Capacity
  • 10001 lbs GVWR
  • 50/50 Weight Balance
  • 12,000 lb hydraulic winch,
    125 ft lead
INTERIOR
  • 95 cu. ft. Total Cargo Capacity with Rear Seats Removed Including the Frunk and Passthrough Area
  • 14 cu. ft. Storage Capacity Frunk
  • 13" Wide x 14" High of the Pass-Thru
  • 24 Sticks of 2x4s Can Fit Through the Pass-Thru
  • 72 Sheets of 1/2 Plywood Fit in the Rear Cargo Area
  • 12' Length from Front to Rear Liftgates with Liftgates Closed
  • 15' - 4" Length from Front to Rear Liftgates with Liftgates Open
  • Fits 4 Passengers Comfortably
EXTERIOR
  • 15.5" Ground Clearance
  • 10" Wheel Travel
  • 56°/33°/53° Approach/Breakover/
    Departure Angle
  • LT285/70/R17 Wheel Size
  • Front/Rear 11.75" Vented; Regenerative; 4-Wheel Anti-Lock Inboard Discs Brakes
  • 105" Wheelbase
  • 150" Length
  • 76.5" Width
  • 73.5" Height
  • 68" Rear Track

I saw a post from David @dcproven on "the eternal question" thread, 

I think it's wonderful, just missing a few luxury features. 

Maybe 3rd-row seats, several moonroofs, rear climate, I may be describing a vehicle we already have. 

In all seriousness, if they stick a DISCO 5 interior onto that body and motors, I am sold. 

Cool concept but not practical for any expedition travel. Wonder how they are going to crash test it with that pass through tunnel. Nice angular retro look akin to old defenders, fj40, bronco. Very spartan interior but it's about utility not luxury with that truck.

The truth is, I find it interesting.  I'm not yet sold on pure electrics but they are developing rapidly and no doubt will reach critical mass soon enough.  Charging infrastructure seems to be the biggest concern at this point, along with price.  I suspect if either can be improved it will drive the other and it will snowball from there.

As for crash testing, air bags, etc, part of what they are doing is tagging this as a 10,000 lb GVW vehicle to get around some of those requirements.  'Comercial' trucks don't have the same standards as passenger vehicles.  I'd have to do some reading to get the details but I know things are easier at that point.

My bigger worry is closer to what Graeme stated - as a small start-up how do they support it?  Parts availability?  Dealer structure?  Warranty support?  It's one thing to put out a working prototype, it's quite another to actually sell to the public.

I trust Romanice was kidding about adding luxury features.  Clearly that would ruin it and drive the price even more out of reach!

Ok, I will be serious for this response. 

I believe this is nothing more than a proof of concept for all the manufacturers out there. Tesla was already heading toward the pickup market, but this could be something to consider for them in between. I totally agree that with a startup like this there is not much warranty or other support that they will be able to provide, but Tesla made it work.

The other manufacturers are keeping competition out with the US laws in place that require the sale of vehicles to be a franchised occupation. There are some protections for small companies, and TESLA is on the cusp between the two.

In terms of their production, they are releasing a box with 4 electric engines, the rest is very generic and customizable. There would not be much to support.

In terms of being successful and mass producing the vehicle, they would need to appeal to the masses, which would be a more luxurious offering. As a one off for special farmers or Outlanders and rock crawlers like us, this would not be sustainable. Half of TESLA's success is the luxury and innovation with the interior. 

As the owner described, I would imagine they produced this to compete with the F-150 for a farm truck. And just like the F-150, they will need to make many trims, from XL with only garbage inside to Platinum with a fully overloaded and expensive interior. That is the market LAND ROVER is holding onto right now, Capable and luxurious.

Considering they will be a startup, and have the least overhead, if they can produce this for a low cost, they can start to capture market share, and most likely be bought up by LR, FORD, or Other nonelectric producing companies. Or someone develops direct competition and drives them out. 

Archived