1991 Santana/Defender 109 finally arrived!

Teds

after and agonizing year and a few months, my 1991 Santana/Defender finally arrived on my doorstep! I bought her over a year ago when we were visiting Barcelona but had many hang ups before getting here. She finally arrived and looks to be in great shape dispite the under powered NA 2.5L diesel. plans are to add a roll cage, proper rear seats and a new motor. Can't wait to get her on the trail.

Congrats! Let's get the ladies together. I'll be in Tahoe for much of July. Let me know if anyone wants to make the trip up to do some trail exploring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm always game!! Couple of trails off the Rubicon staging area on the Tahoe side I've wanted to check out.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I suspect a NAS 3.9 or 4.0 would be drop in replacement.

The re-power would be awesome, but no one has fab up parts needed to install that 2.8 in a Defender/series truck.

New Cummins 4bt is the plan if I recall, Scully's contact with Cummins and advanced adapters should make it straight forward.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Congrats! Let's get the ladies together. I'll be in Tahoe for much of July. Let me know if anyone wants to make the trip up to do some trail exploring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There will definately be trail exploring in the Tahoe area, I just don't know when yet.  Too much going on right now to nail down a schedule.

I suspect a NAS 3.9 or 4.0 would be drop in replacement.

The re-power would be awesome, but no one has fab up parts needed to install that 2.8 in a Defender/series truck.

Ian from Extreme is building a Defender with the new Cummins currently.

And don't do a 4BT....that motor is soooo over-rated!  

Ian from Extreme is building a Defender with the new Cummins currently.

And don't do a 4BT....that motor is soooo over-rated!

2.8 is the new one I was thinking about, correct?

2.8 is the new one I was thinking about, correct?

Yes. The Cummins link I posted above is for it. Or you can Google 'cummins' and 'tube sock'.

Yes, I have been in talks with Steve at Cummins about the engine swap. If I go old school, I would drop in a 6BT or possibly supercharged 4.0 I have come across.

Would definitely like to explore some trails in Tahoe, but getting the Santana up the hill might be a challenge with 68hp!

Technically, it is a Series 4 Santana 109. Doors, dash and other parts are Defender while being leaf sprung. Talking to Timm Cooper, the series trucks and Santana havery souter frames the defenders and he has built some monster leaf sprung trucks on 37s that ride great on the Freeway. He says the Santana has the beefiest rear diff of any rover produced, even bigger than Salisbury.

Registration is killing me right now and DMV is shutting me down to the momenf.

Archived