Gauging Interest - Death Valley April 8th to 15th

My children have Spring Break April 8th through the 17th and I am longing to head back to Death Valley. Chuck (Desertcrawler) has guided many awesome trips to the park and I was hooked after my first DV experience. There are so many cool sites to see: hot springs, dunes, mountains, desert, mines, lowest spot in north America, Scotty's castle, kilns, craters, mysterious moving rocks, outback cabins, ghost towns and the sheer beauty of the nation’s largest national park. The best way to see the park is on backcountry trails minimizing pavement travel. The park is also so large that a week is just not enough time to see everything. Trips are usually centered on the northern or southern half of the park. Due to logistics and park restrictions, the trip will be limited to around 12 vehicles and the dates are firm.

I have put together a few tentative itineraries off the top of my head. We can’t see everything in one trip, the park is just too large. Based on other trips, its nice to have two nights in the same location halfway through the journey to give use a break. I will work in one or more gas stops along the way and at least one shower location. There will be exit points for people who can’t make the whole trip and need head home. Meeting up midweek may be possible, but itineraries can change on the trail due to slow progress, mechanical breakdowns and unforeseen circumstances. We will cover a lot of ground and varied terrain, but a stock land rover should be able to complete most of the routes and we can plan accordingly. All terrain tires, lift and skid plates are highly recommended along with full size spare, water, gas etc mandatory. One year, I was changing Kevin Suttle’s tire in 99 degree weather and three days later, we were having a snowball fight! Be prepared for all weather conditions. This is a family friendly trip and I am planning on bringing my three children (10, 8 and 7) More details to follow. Go beyond!

Itinerary 1 - north/west

Start in Big Pine - Eureka Dunes - Steele pass - hot springs - camp

Lippincott grade - racetrack - tea kettle junction - hunter mountain - boxcar cabin - camp

Darwin falls - Panamint springs - minnieta mine cabin - defense mine - camp

(2 days here - day trip to charcoal kilns/ballarat/hiking or lookout city)

barker ranch - Mengel pass - striped butte valley/cabin- camp

warm springs - badwater – Bill and Wards Cabin – camp

Dumont dunes – camp

Home thru Baker or up 95

Itinerary 2 – north/east

Big Pine - Eureka Dunes - Steele pass - hot springs - camp

Lippincott grade - racetrack - tea kettle junction - hunter mountain  - camp

Tea kettle junction – Ubehebe crater – Scotty’s castle – Inyo canyon – camp

Echo canyon (tough 4x4 trail) – Rhyolite ghost town - Titus canyon – Wildrose camp

Charcoal kilns – possible hike to a peak – Thorndike/wildrose/mahogany flat – camp

Ballarat – Mengel Pass – Barker Ranch – Striped Butte/cabins – camp

Warm Springs – Badwater – Bill and Wards cabin - camp

Home thru Baker or up 95

Itinerary 3 – south/east

Barstow to Badwater – Warm Springs – Striped Butte/cabin – camp

Mengel pass – Barker ranch – Ballarat – Briggs cabin – camp

Wildrose canyon – charcoal kilns – hike – throrndike/wildrose/mahogany flat – camp

Devils cornfield – furnace creek – 20 mule canyon – dante’s point – Inyo mine – camp

Echo canyon (tough 4x4 trail) – Rhyolite ghost town - Titus canyon – chloride cliff – camp

Scotty’s castle- Ubehebe crater – Gold Point ghost town – camp

Stay around gold point – crazy guys castle – camp

Home via 95 or 168 to 395

Itinerary 4 – north/east

Big Pine - Eureka Dunes - Steele pass - hot springs - camp

Lippincott grade - racetrack - tea kettle junction - hunter mountain  - camp

Tea kettle junction – Ubehebe crater – Scotty’s castle – Gold Point– camp

Stay around Gold Point – crazy guys castle – Gold Point – camp

Ryholite ghost town – Titus canyon – Inyo Canyon - camp

Dante’s View – Badwater – Warm springs – Striped Butte – camp

Mengel Pass – home via Trona or Ballarat – Panamint Springs – home

Itinerary 5n- south/east

Trona - Ballarat - Mengel Pass - Striped Butte/Cabins - camp

Warm springs - Badwater - 20 mule canyon - Inyo mine - camp

Ryholite - Titus canyon - Chloride cliff - camp

Scotty's castle - ubehebe crater - tea kettle junction - camp

Racetrack - Lippincott grade - hot springs - camp

Steel pass - Eureka Dunes - crankshaft junction - Gold Point - camp

Gold Point - crazy guy castle - camp

Home

Gold Point ghost town is run by Sheriff Stone with cabins available or we can camp in the same area. Showers and gas is available as well as a bar for nightly libations. We can request him to cook dinner and/or breakfast for our group for which we pay. A few years ago, we spent the last night at Gold Point and it was nice to not worry about cooking before heading home. Depends on how I work the itineraries and the number of trucks we have attending. I will talk to the Sheriff and make reservations with him once I decide on the itinerary.

Scotty's castle in run by the park service. We will need to make reservations in advance for tours. Well worth a visit.

I still need to do more research and calculate distances and drive times. Some of the itineraries above are ambitious and I want people to enjoy the park and not feel they are constantly driving.

Let me know if you are interested!

http://www.speichers.com/pictures/dv2012/dv12_d2_stella_ranch_rtt.jpg

Glad to hear you are running a trip as well Chuck. We will definitely coordinate our final weekend for overlap with you. With the kids getting older, its harder to pull them out of school now. Ella as just 4 when we went on our first DV trip! She will be celebrating her 11th birthday this year on the trail.

Gold Point is easy due to road access and people can arrive Friday night or Saturday morning. We may adjust the date slightly to leave on Sunday depending on what your itinerary is.

Striped Butte is beautiful and we could definitely stay a few days in the area exploring/hiking and hanging out at the cabins there until you arrive.  

Don, be a true DV aficionado and stay 2 weeks!

http://www.speichers.com/pictures/dv2011/dv2011_ella_dune.jpg

I'll let u make call. I do agree Gold Point might be easier as a rally point. I also think some of us anyway might be able to leave Bay on Thursday .. would give us Friday and Saturday. My only hesitation is if he'll be open for visitors and what the weather will be ( could be cold)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please put the Browne family down. Alan, Jill and Maeve 11yrs old. I penciled myself in for Chucks DV trip but my daughters spring break is the decider.

That we have two trips is outstanding.

Thanks a million

Alan.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived