Quick day trip Signal Peak July 24th

I know it's late, but we r doing a quick Signal Peak run Sunday meeting at 10am in Auburn at the Starbucks off Elm. Heading to Out of Bounds brewery afterward for lunch.

Always a fun trail, but I'll be out.  My alternator finally crapped out on the drive home from the BoD meeting.  I have the new one sitting here ready to go but I'm also going to do the belts and tensioner at the same time and I'm still waiting on some stuff for that job.  

Crazy. Jason's alternator went out after the Jefferson chapter meeting! I followed him home to make sure he got back safely. Maybe Greg had some super electromagnetic cyber field around his new house.

I've been nervous about mine since the mud-fest at Frank Rains a while back.  We killed 3 other alternators that day.  I might go ahead and change it today if the heat doesn't get stupid but I've got other work to do first and the forecast doesn't look good (100+).

Crazy. Jason's alternator went out after the Jefferson chapter meeting! I followed him home to make sure he got back safely. Maybe Greg had some super electromagnetic cyber field around his new house.

Most definitely do!! Part of the Jefferson defenses!! 😀

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I've been nervous about mine since the mud-fest at Frank Rains a while back.  We killed 3 other alternators that day.  I might go ahead and change it today if the heat doesn't get stupid but I've got other work to do first and the forecast doesn't look good (100+).

For those keeping score:

Frank Raines  -  4

LR Alternators - 0

:-)

Fun trip, but definitely had some hiccups. No problems up the beginning of the trip. There are two bigger obstacles, one a large rock and one a large tree to squeeze by. I slipped off one rock and banged up my sliders and rear bumper. Glad it is metal as it would have crunched anything plastic. We then approached the large granite steps and they have taken a beating. My last trip fall 2015, I walked up then without a hitch and kept driving. Yesterday, it took us 1.5 hrs to get the two trucks over about 10 yards. Big ruts and strewn rocks made it a challenge for both. Wheels were scraped and the LR3 got really tippy in one section.

Just as I finished that section, I noticed my P38 was bogging down a bit. I shut her down to let her cool off while we got Luke thru the steps. The next bit is quite steep with lots of loose rock. As I started to ascend, she bogged down and I had no power. In neutral, I could rev, but under load almost nothing. Popped the hood to reveal a loose intake plenum which just required reseating. Crisis averted. Back on the regular trail and chugging up the hill.

Luke decided to try an offshoot trail that was steep and narrow and became really tight between two trees. On the right side, the roots stuck out and as he went thru, shifted his truck to the left and banged into the tree. Ouch! I thought he shattered his rear window but it hit just below the glass. He has a nice battle scar to show off. Carefully, we descended back the main trail.

We were rewarded with epic views from the top and did the little hike to the old lookout post. It was perfect weather and we started descending the fire road on the backside.

As we got about 2/3s of the way down, I noticed Luke was no longer in my rear view window. I flipped around and drove back a short distance. As I approached his truck, I noticed his rear tire pointing out and clearly the wrong direction. The bolt holding his right rear trailing arm had sheared off leaving his wheel dangling. We jacked itnuo, removed the wheel.and assessed the damage. Tried drilling it out to remove the end but then realized that even if we removed the end, the bolt wasn't long enough to rethread. So we ratchet strapped the wheel hub to the frame as tight as possible and limped the 5 long miles to Cisco Grove. Amazingly, Luke's insurance would tow him 58 miles and he lived 62 miles from Cisco Grove. Thankfully, we both arrived safely home many hours after we anticipated.

Luke will fix the LR3 this week and I will post a reminder to everyone with an LR3/4 should be sure those rear trailing arm bolts are tight. Apparently he has seen them loosen before.

Bashed up the side of the LR3. Just for perspective, those are 33inch tires on 18 inch rims on a coil sprung LR3. This section is not for stock vehicles without a lot of armor.

post-639-0-89955300-1469459717_thumb.jpg

post-639-0-97248200-1469459730_thumb.jpg

post-639-0-06874800-1469459746_thumb.jpg

Fun trip, but definitely had some hiccups. No problems up the beginning of the trip. There are two bigger obstacles, one a large rock and one a large tree to squeeze by. I slipped off one rock and banged up my sliders and rear bumper. Glad it is metal as it would have crunched anything plastic. We then approached the large granite steps and they have taken a beating. My last trip fall 2015, I walked up then without a hitch and kept driving. Yesterday, it took us 1.5 hrs to get the two trucks over about 10 yards. Big ruts and strewn rocks made it a challenge for both. Wheels were scraped and the LR3 got really tippy in one section.

Just as I finished that section, I noticed my P38 was bogging down a bit. I shut her down to let her cool off while we got Luke thru the steps. The next bit is quite steep with lots of loose rock. As I started to ascend, she bogged down and I had no power. In neutral, I could rev, but under load almost nothing. Popped the hood to reveal a loose intake plenum which just required reseating. Crisis averted. Back on the regular trail and chugging up the hill.

Luke decided to try an offshoot trail that was steep and narrow and became really tight between two trees. On the right side, the roots stuck out and as he went thru, shifted his truck to the left and banged into the tree. Ouch! I thought he shattered his rear window but it hit just below the glass. He has a nice battle scar to show off. Carefully, we descended back the main trail.

We were rewarded with epic views from the top and did the little hike to the old lookout post. It was perfect weather and we started descending the fire road on the backside.

I think I know the 'off shoot' trail with the tight trees.  Last year (?) I was leading up the trail and went through there (had to fold the mirrors but made it through) only to have the guys behind me give a 'WTF???' and try alternate lines that proved actually more difficult.

Wish I could have come up with you guys.  In the past the only real challenge was the tight rock/tree squeeze early on on the shelf road.  Sounds like it's gotten more fun since.

As we got about 2/3s of the way down, I noticed Luke was no longer in my rear view window. I flipped around and drove back a short distance. As I approached his truck, I noticed his rear tire pointing out and clearly the wrong direction. The bolt holding his right rear trailing arm had sheared off leaving his wheel dangling. We jacked itnuo, removed the wheel.and assessed the damage. Tried drilling it out to remove the end but then realized that even if we removed the end, the bolt wasn't long enough to rethread. So we ratchet strapped the wheel hub to the frame as tight as possible and limped the 5 long miles to Cisco Grove. Amazingly, Luke's insurance would tow him 58 miles and he lived 62 miles from Cisco Grove. Thankfully, we both arrived safely home many hours after we anticipated.

Luke will fix the LR3 this week and I will post a reminder to everyone with an LR3/4 should be sure those rear trailing arm bolts are tight. Apparently he has seen them loosen before.

That bolt is a known failure point on the LR3.  I haven't broken one (yet) but I carry a spare just in case.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived