Pics of your packed cargo area?

Disco2Guy

Hey everyone-

I'm in the process of buying gear to bring with me based on ChrisJB's thread. Anyone have some pics of how you pack your cargo area? What type of cases do you use? I've been looking at the Pelican Cases, and was thinking of stopping by Target and the Container Store too, just to see what they have.

Thanx,

There is an interesting thread over on Expedtion Portal about Pelican cases. Most thieves tend to know the valuable stuff is kept in them. I am going to go the route jhmover suggested: http://www.galleria-e.com/cgi-bin/Colemans.storefront/en/product/133301

And you let me know how well they fit in the RRC rear...I need something too, have a plastic foot locker, turns out it fits fine both ways...side to side and forward to back. But packing it it gets really heavy and hard to remove and in my truck, tie downs are like non existant.

I've seen those military boxes too, but what I really think I need is a safe and secure storage solution. After RovrFlo's smash and grab last month, I need some form of lockable storage that I don't need to worry about someone walking away with. The Pelican cases are designed with wheels and that retractable handle. I think this might be a viable solution, plus it'll be an easy sell for a birthday present to the parents:)

I've seen those military boxes too, but what I really think I need is a safe and secure storage solution. After RovrFlo's smash and grab last month, I need some form of lockable storage that I don't need to worry about someone walking away with. The Pelican cases are designed with wheels and that retractable handle. I think this might be a viable solution, plus it'll be an easy sell for a birthday present to the parents:)

Problem with anything lockable is that it is just locked with stuff inside. Not locked to anything. I have a handgun saftey lock box that has an internal cable to loop around something....at least to slow someone down, for transport.

My only issue with the pelican cases, as they are awesome, is that they are awesome and worth stealing on their own if empty......so full, aughh (Charlie Brown Voice) they are even better.....

Maybe I should get a rabid angry ferret or 2 and use them as car security..

I've been using milk crates. I think I have 8 of them now but only using 6 so far. They are 12X12X10 so a little small but work well. They stack well and 3 fit across the rear space of the Disco II. The down side is they don't keep out dust or water. I lined one with 1/8" masonite for camp dishes and use kitchen size plastic bags to line them as needed. Price is right too. :P

I agree that having something to secure the box to the vehicle would be optimal. I talked to a rep at AB about attaching it to the floor hooks but there aren't any. The Tuffy box weighs about 100 lbs. shipped. I figure once it's full of gear it'll weigh closer to 150 lbs., and given the overall size, weight and lack of handles I think it would be pretty difficult to walk away with this thing. I'll keep you posted on my decision. Thanks for your input everyone!!

I've been talking to Landzu on LandRoverForums about his Tuffy box. It can be bolt mounted to the floor, but he didn't because of the fuel pump hatch, and he just didn't want to drill the floor. Looking to see if using a cable lock through the floor lashings would work to secure the box.

I've been talking to Landzu on LandRoverForums about his Tuffy box. It can be bolt mounted to the floor, but he didn't because of the fuel pump hatch, and he just didn't want to drill the floor. Looking to see if using a cable lock through the floor lashings would work to secure the box.

See, I don't have any floor lashings in the RRC. I was using 2 ratchet straps thru the seatbelt anchors to hold my "recovery" box in place, but that is not enough. I don't have the fuel access door, yet, so maybe when I get that panel swapped out I can put in some nice tie downs then.

I dont want to just sheet metal screw them in, I think that I need to do some sort of backing to keep them from pulling out.

Even my stupid Chevy Blazer has 4 tiedowns in the cargo area...Heck, i think the VW has at least 2.....WTF was LR thinking...

• 5 months later...

I am developing a program called "Avoiding Tip Overs". This will be a free clinic to members, and I plan on the first offering at our upcoming October annual gathering

Highlights of this program will include but not be limited to the following.

1) Discuss in general the physics and forces at play and how selective modifications negatively affect a vehicles CG and reduce the effective lean angle. My Mechanical Engineering background will prove vital in this regard.

2) Discuss recent tip over examples and contributing circumstances that increase the likelyhood of a tip over. I have first hand experience.

3) Discuss tips to increase situational awareness and specific avoidance techiques to help mitigate potential tip overs. Mainly common sense, but well worth the effort.

4) Discuss and demonstrate possible recovery techiques in the event of a tip over. Again, first had experience with several types of vehicle recoveries including a tip over.

My goal is to keep this program to under an hours time span.

Read our minds! With Shrek, then Hulk, just a matter of time for the next!

This is needed!

Look forward to this especially #4!

Perhaps also a blurp in the ideal first aid kit supply to have although not the focus of the trng!

Cool!

Im in.....Maybe someone can bring a wreck of a rover and drained of all fluids (trailered in) and we can have it tiped over like an acutal situation and then demo the flip onto the wheels...

Okay, that will take more than an hour, I am overzealous. But I want to be in this learning group.

I'm in for sure, especially after missing the winching session last December in Hollister. I like Mike's idea, though I agree that would be longer than an hour session. But if there's any way to make the situation more realistic in training the better prepared you are when it's needed.

Read our minds! With Shrek, then Hulk, just a matter of time for the next!

This is needed!

Look forward to this especially #4!

Perhaps also a blurp in the ideal first aid kit supply to have although not the focus of the trng!

Cool!

Don't forget Frank! The one who started it all...

Archived