1998 LSE new member

DiscoBears

Finally pulled the trigger on this work of art. Going with Disco-Bear paying homage to the windy cities' monsters of the midway. Looking to do some project work on it any advice on where to begin and on the best places for parts lemme know. Just joined the club and looking to start coming out to events. Thanks. Matt

https://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/16/26b14a633eb15d57fc7ffe6f2cf3b9a3.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I highly recommend if you get any sort of lift getting a Tom woods drive shaft, Made the wobbling go down so much when I replaced mine. Much better of a drive now

Also stay under 4 inches... Things tend to start to break after 2 inch lifts

Hey Matt;

Welcome to the club!  You have a nice Disco that is probably itching to get off road!  Even as it stands today, your Discovery is capable of attending probably 75-80% of all the trips our club runs -- very capable vehicles right off the showroom floor (assuming everything is still operational!) :D

Speaking of club trips and events, be sure to look at the NCLR Calendar for an idea of what's upcoming in the next month or two.  Out a little further, we have the NCLR 9th Annual event coming up and that's always a good get-together with good food, people, etc. -- it's a lot of fun.

The MORG (Monthly Off Road Gathering) is probably the next event coming up -- you can read more about it here... RSVP for all events by going to the calendar and using the RSVP button.

Welcome to the club! Let's get that thing dirty! I know Da bears love mud!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I highly recommend if you get any sort of lift getting a Tom woods drive shaft, Made the wobbling go down so much when I replaced mine. Much better of a drive now

Also stay under 4 inches... Things tend to start to break after 2 inch lifts

I am looking to do a 2inch lift in a bout a month I will reach out for your recommendations soon. Thanks for the advice

Welcome Matt. Before throwing a bunch of off road parts on the truck, take it on a few outings to see what it can do in its stock form. Talk to others with a D1 and see what they've done, or would change. Get the CDL lever free (left - right motion on the small stick in front of the main gear shifter) so you can engage the diff lock in the transfer case.

Some things, like the Tom Wood's driveshaft Justin mentioned, can be installed anytime. The amount of lift doesn't really seem to matter (for the most part). I have a 4" lift on my D2, and the TW shaft is the same length as stock. The main advantages are; It has serviceable u-joints & centerball, and they use 1310's instead of 1300's (stock u-joint size). I'm sure you'll be talking with Graeme after your first trip or two;)

Welcome Matt. Before throwing a bunch of off road parts on the truck, take it on a few outings to see what it can do in its stock form. Talk to others with a D1 and see what they've done, or would change. Get the CDL lever free (left - right motion on the small stick in front of the main gear shifter) so you can engage the diff lock in the transfer case.

Some things, like the Tom Wood's driveshaft Justin mentioned, can be installed anytime. The amount of lift doesn't really seem to matter (for the most part). I have a 4" lift on my D2, and the TW shaft is the same length as stock. The main advantages are; It has serviceable u-joints & centerball, and they use 1310's instead of 1300's (stock u-joint size). I'm sure you'll be talking with Graeme after your first trip or two;)

Thanks for the advice...sounds like a plan.

Nice looking rig Matt! I have a 98 LE and one of the first things I did was install a Terrafirma 2" medium load spring and shock kit from Atlantic British for under $500 with free shipping. Took me less than 4 hours from start to finish.

post-782-0-37747100-1437587258_thumb.jpg

Welcome Matt, congrats on the new disco. I too have a D1 and would be happy to compare notes. Mine is mild compared to others, in fact one of them is distributing small part all over Fordyce as we speak ;-)

Either way, Brenton had good advice which is use it. See what it'll do and what you want it to do that it can't. Sometimes its a skills based impediment and other times parts based. Either way you'll learn a lot ;-)

Not sure where you are based, but we have a couple of monthly casual dinners as well as the MORG. 3rd Thursday of the month on the Peninsula and somewhere around then in the Sacramento area. Check out the calendar page for details. GoBears!

Welcome Matt, congrats on the new disco. I too have a D1 and would be happy to compare notes. Mine is mild compared to others, in fact one of them is distributing small part all over Fordyce as we speak ;-)

Either way, Brenton had good advice which is use it. See what it'll do and what you want it to do that it can't. Sometimes its a skills based impediment and other times parts based. Either way you'll learn a lot ;-)

Not sure where you are based, but we have a couple of monthly casual dinners as well as the MORG. 3rd Thursday of the month on the Peninsula and somewhere around then in the Sacramento area. Check out the calendar page for details. GoBears!

Thanks Tom already taking the advice and rolling all over folsom lake area. So far so good. Doing a few little tweaks as well as designing a forward and rear camera system out of a raspberry pi computer. Overall no big changes looking to hit up the nclr event tomorrown night and go from there. I will definitely be reaching out as the rave is user friendly yet nothing beats experience...thanks

Nice looking rig Matt! I have a 98 LE and one of the first things I did was install a Terrafirma 2" medium load spring and shock kit from Atlantic British for under $500 with free shipping. Took me less than 4 hours from start to finish.

Very nice yeah the terra firma looks like the way to go...wait for me to pull the trigger and I will hit you up for sone best advice/lessons learned. Regards

You're doing it right! Wealth of experience, opinions and snide remarks from this bunch.

Big fan of pi, would love to set up a Dev environment to play with one ;-) </geek>

Just finished proof of concept for a forward looking camera. Now to incorporate a rear one and a touchscreen button to select through.

Ultimate goal is a full pi powered entertainment system in the rig. Video games movies and multiple cameras but thats future state

The first step is to identify what you want to do with your disco. No sense in going with a mild lift if you plan to hit Fordyce or the rubicon, also no need for 35's and full armor if you will be playing around on the dunes or out at Folsom puddle. You're welcome to stop by my place and take a look at mine anytime if you like. I went the big lift big tire route. I'm in Loomis out where the lake is turning into a small stream. Don't hesitate to call ask.

Archived