LR3 and D90 Signal Peak 6/15

My buddy Eric bought a D90 in the fall. Had a bit of work done and part of the frame welded over the spring. We took it out for its inaugural trail run on Monday afternoon. We headed to Signal Peak which is just an hour from our neighborhood. Get off at Eagle Lakes, loop under 80 and the staging area is the same as Fordyce. The trail starts off immediately climbing a rock garden with some decent boulders. Various obstacles along the way, tight squeezes and some trees to contend with. One section, has a large tree on your right and a huge boulder on the left. As I was climbing, some rocks shifted and my left rear tire dropped down, bashing in the rear sill and ripping off the rear cladding. Oops. At the last minted, I decided to take the LR3 instead of my range rover. I remember this section last fall and with sliders, I just bounced off. Looks like I need sliders for the LR3 before I do any more serious offroading. The D90 is a bit slimmer and didn't have much trouble scrambling over the rocks. Power gets you through most obstacles while you need to strive slower with the LR3 to let the traction control kick in, but the LR3 motored through anything we threw at it. At the 'ledge' we decided to take a steep loose bypass instead. My wife wouldn't be happy if I bashed up her truck anymore. The top rewards with spectacular views and a quick hike to the original lookout post. We took the backside fire road down to Cisco Grove, aired up and then drove home. Great day trip.

A stock LR3 could see some damage on the trail and there are no bypasses on the first half of the trail. I have Sasquatch Rods and 32 inch tires and tapped a few bits, including that good hit on my rear sill and bumper.

There is plenty of camping around that area and would like to do a weekend trip with folks which is showing interest in another thread.

A few pics and link to video. The video is after the tough sections and just a scramble up an open area. Didn't get any shots of the tough stuff.

post-639-0-29930200-1434554655_thumb.jpg

post-639-0-34838600-1434554681_thumb.jpg

post-639-0-48607100-1434554720_thumb.jpg

post-639-0-98452700-1434554744_thumb.jpg

Portrait video? Oh the humanity. Won't someone think about the children??!!

Ted, looks like you can just buy some replacement fasteners to get the trim back in place. Did anything get really tweaked or pulled out so that it may not go back together as well?

Looks like a few fasteners did get sacrificed. At home, I figured out how it reattached and got it to hold. Still need a few clips to finish the job, but it is holding The bottom took a hit and pulled it away from the body. Anyone have some sliders for sale??

Portrait video? Oh the humanity. Won't someone think about the children??!!

Oh man, here we go again.   :lol:   Someone (I think it was Chad) sent me a YouTube video about Vertical Video Syndrome (VVS)... it's a pretty big deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt9zSfinwFA

My buddy Eric bought a D90 in the fall. Had a bit of work done and part of the frame welded over the spring. We took it out for its inaugural trail run on Monday afternoon. We headed to Signal Peak which is just an hour from our neighborhood. Get off at Eagle Lakes, loop under 80 and the staging area is the same as Fordyce. The trail starts off immediately climbing a rock garden with some decent boulders. Various obstacles along the way, tight squeezes and some trees to contend with. One section, has a large tree on your right and a huge boulder on the left. As I was climbing, some rocks shifted and my left rear tire dropped down, bashing in the rear sill and ripping off the rear cladding. Oops. At the last minted, I decided to take the LR3 instead of my range rover. I remember this section last fall and with sliders, I just bounced off. Looks like I need sliders for the LR3 before I do any more serious offroading. The D90 is a bit slimmer and didn't have much trouble scrambling over the rocks. Power gets you through most obstacles while you need to strive slower with the LR3 to let the traction control kick in, but the LR3 motored through anything we threw at it. At the 'ledge' we decided to take a steep loose bypass instead. My wife wouldn't be happy if I bashed up her truck anymore. The top rewards with spectacular views and a quick hike to the original lookout post. We took the backside fire road down to Cisco Grove, aired up and then drove home. Great day trip.

A stock LR3 could see some damage on the trail and there are no bypasses on the first half of the trail. I have Sasquatch Rods and 32 inch tires and tapped a few bits, including that good hit on my rear sill and bumper.

There is plenty of camping around that area and would like to do a weekend trip with folks which is showing interest in another thread.

A few pics and link to video. The video is after the tough sections and just a scramble up an open area. Didn't get any shots of the tough stuff.

Great pics, Ted.  When the club was out at Hollister a few months back, Don mentioned that going up Truck Hill was simpler if DSC was disabled... reading that you have to drive slower for traction control to do its job reminded me of that.

I should probably read up on what DSC does.   ^_^

I believe DSC should be variable in it's application based on the Terrain Response setting selected, but I still prefer to disable it most times when off-road.  I find it often cuts power just as I want more.  Yes, I might get wheel spin or be bouncing the truck, but I'm trying to preserve some momentum and the computer can't understand what's going to happen in the next 50 feet, only what's happening now and what it thinks might happen down the road based on how the programmers designed the system.  Inherently that means they won't always get it right. 

VVS Video wasn't from me, but that's terrific! 

I believe DSC should be variable in it's application based on the Terrain Response setting selected, but I still prefer to disable it most times when off-road.  I find it often cuts power just as I want more.  Yes, I might get wheel spin or be bouncing the truck, but I'm trying to preserve some momentum and the computer can't understand what's going to happen in the next 50 feet, only what's happening now and what it thinks might happen down the road based on how the programmers designed the system.  Inherently that means they won't always get it right. 

We all know what happens when you rely on British electronics...

Archived