Official Oregon Back Country Discovery 2015 Thread

Curiosity killed the Rover with the 5 gallon cans of gas and beer on top driving on its side :)

On a serious note, looks Don and Jared have hard copies of route 3. Each truck should have one and I was planning to bring

copies. Can I get a head count on who still need copies?

I would like a copy but can print out at work in color so a link to the doc would suffice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like a copy but can print out at work in color so a link to the doc would suffice

Hey Michal;

I sent it to your email address as requested, but here is the link to the guide (warning: 133MB)

Oregon 2015 Route guide

No worries. I have a copy on a thumb drive. If you don't hard copy by trip time I'll pass it along on stops to down load to laptops/ iPads or your co-drivers can do it while moving to our 1st camp spot.

Don, I'm not making this trip. My big trip for the year is the White Rock Lake expedition.

Doh!  Well then, the rest of us will have to step up and fill the role.  We'll have at least 2 CT owners - surely they can manage even if they aren't bringing the actual rigs.

4 more days to get ready before our trip!

Gas prices in Bend, OR (our last fueling stop before we hit the trails). Again, fill up your tank and your 2 min gas cans: http://www.californiagasprices.com/GasPriceSearch.aspx

Also today seems to be the last day to order parts from places like Rovers North and most likely still get it by Thursday or Friday (expedited shipping).

How's everyone doing with packing and getting ready?

Besides fuel and water, here are the two other important fluids to bring for the trip :)

Packing?  Ha - I won't even get my truck back (hopefully) until Thursday night!

Curiosity killed the Rover with the 5 gallon cans of gas and beer on top driving on its side :)

On a serious note, looks Don and Jared have hard copies of route 3. Each truck should have one and I was planning to bring

copies. Can I get a head count on who still need copies?

I don't actually have a hard copy, I have a PDF that Jarred scanned.  It's semi-legible.  Unless I suffer an i-failure, I should be OK.  And if I do, I'll point at Jarred and blame him because clearly he's personally responsible for the performance of every Apple device since the company started.

I was talking to a customer about our trip and our stop at Weed, he invited us to stay at his place (a cabin near Mt Shasta) and suggested "Billy Goat Tavern" in the town of Mount Shasta. Great All American fare and a huge selection of beers on tap (lucky passengers  :angry: ).

He will be at his cabin past midnight of Friday night, otherwise he would open it up for campers, he said. Perhaps another time, i told him.

Ron

Jared, Erin and I will be caravaning up Friday night to Red Bluff and meeting up with the you/caravan and Rupert Saturday. Made sense to at least get some sleep Friday night vs waking up at 4:30am to start driving.

Alyson

Ron

Jared, Erin and I will be caravaning up Friday night to Red Bluff and meeting up with the you/caravan and Rupert Saturday. Made sense to at least get some sleep Friday night vs waking up at 4:30am to start driving.

Alyson

Let me know your route/timing plans; we're heading up to that area Friday as well.  Michele made hotel reservations 'somewhere' - all I know is it's a Marriot property since she's got Marriot points out the wazzoo.  We haven't set a departure time yet.

Ron I would like a copy. I'm trying to download it to my phone but would like a hard copy if possible. Were going up Friday night and staying in Redding I believe. I was also wondering if you could send me your number. I got a HAM radio but don't have my license yet but I'll monitor 146.6.  

I believe our plan is to leave around 7/7:30pm from San Jose, but that of course depends on whether we're all packed up and ready to go...

Got it.  Michele and I are both taking off on Friday so we'll probably head out earlier.  Although our departure time also is packing-dependant.

I've yet to figure out how I'm going to secure the saw.  It's sort of an odd shape w/o it's storage case, but the case is HUGE, so I'm leaning toward just throwing on the bar cover and carrying it that way.  I also need to decide if I'm going to take the 3 or the 6 gallon extra tank.  Honestly, I don't think I'll need it at all given I alreay have the 5 on the bumper and I have to head into town one night to drop Michele off at the airport.  I may just skip the 2nd tank.

Livin' life on the edge!

Minor trauma...bandaid solution.

Had the LR at car wash today, took off antennae, they tried to do a good deed by putting antennae back in But switched the antennae and stripped the threads. F##K !!! Couldn't use Ham or CB. Finally got a temp fix by swapping cables. I good on Ham now, no CB tho. But ok.

Anyone got spare NMO antenna base parts? I need the base threads.

Campground /Lodging Update

I went and identified the amenities available at each campsite.

Water Availability:

Saturday: Drinking water available

Sunday: No water

Monday: Drinking water available

Tuesday: No water

Wednesday: No water

Thursday: Drinking water available

Toilet Availability:

Saturday: Vault toilets

Sunday: Vault toilet

Monday: Flush toilets

Tuesday: No toilets

Wednesday: Vault toilets

Thursday: Flush toilets

I've updated the campground PDF and posted it here... amenities by site are in green.

Oregon 2015 - Lodging.pdf

Had the LR at car wash today, took off antennae, they tried to do a good deed by putting antennae back in But switched the antennae and stripped the threads. F##K !!! Couldn't use Ham or CB. Finally got a temp fix by swapping cables. I good on Ham now, no CB tho. But ok.

Hey Rupert; if you know the mount, I can swing by HRO and grab the parts and bring them up your way... it's just down the street from me.

Campground /Lodging Update

I went and identified the amenities available at each campsite.

Water Availability:

Saturday: Drinking water available

Sunday: No water

Monday: Drinking water available

Tuesday: No water

Wednesday: No water

Thursday: Drinking water available

Toilet Availability:

Saturday: Vault toilets

Sunday: Vault toilet

Monday: Flush toilets

Tuesday: No toilets

Wednesday: Vault toilets

Thursday: Flush toilets

I've updated the campground PDF and posted it here... amenities by site are in green.

Thanks Jared.

For the "no drinking" camps, pls make sure to bring enough water for drinking/cooking/shower

And for the "no toilet" or even "vault toilet", bring supplies of wag bags.

As Chris pointed out we all have ham radios. That sucks!

Are you still pulling a trailer? I think you will be the only; Enrique is not bringing his trailer. If you are still, let us know if you have

room for a chainsaw, I saw Don posted about figuring out space for it.

Ron

Alyson

Got it.

Folks, I know it's hard to think about donations when you still have to pack :( but let me know who's able to bring used tools, new tools

and construction supplies (small) e.g. box of nails, paint (white)... Michal said he has used tool drawer to donate. I have some also plug gift card

some Home Depot. Can I get a response form those who can, and those who can't no worries.

small

Let me know if you are able to download the file form the link and print.

Archived