Official Oregon Back Country Discovery 2015 Thread

I was also wondering if anyone recommended any fuel additives, to just clean and help maintain the engine?

The only fuel additive I've carried for RedRover was when we went to Baja and that was because we weren't sure of the quality of gas we would have available to us; luckily every Pemex station we stopped at had good gas from a pump (no barrel gas.)

I don't know much about them, but I've read in the past that fuel additives are sort of unnecessary except in the cases of getting gas that has low octane or stabilizing fuel that doesn't get used often.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm generally not a fan of additives in gas except as Jared noted in certain situations.  For example, if the gas is going to stay in the tank a long time without use I absolutely recommend StaBil or similar as the ethanol in our fuel today is a killer - it's hydroscopic, meaning it absorbs water out of the air, and once it has enough time/water it will separate out of the fuel and form a nasty jelly-like mess that will kill carbs/injectors/pumps.  This isn't usually a problem on cars or trucks as you tend to burn off a tank of fuel in short order.  Even rigs like mine that aren't daily driven usually won't keep a tank of fuel more than a few weeks.  One trip is enough to send me looking for a gas station it seems. :)  However on that jerry can you keep for the lawn mower, or on the back of the rig, or in your boat, bike, chain saw/weed wacker, collector car, etc that you only fill up every few months then 100% use a stabilizer/ethanol treatment.

Here's a pic of a small outboard carb I was having problems getting running a couple years ago.  It had been sitting for a year or more without running. 

yeah....I just pitched it and got another.  Hooray ethanol!

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz85/zelatore/Yamaha15carbfordinghy2.jpg

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz85/zelatore/Yamaha15carbfordinghy.jpg

Bear just brought it up again, but my spares list for the LR3 (so far....it's an evolving list)

Thermostat bleed fitting

Rear toe-link w/bolts

Front sway-bar end-link

brake light switch

1 gallon DexCool coolant

brake fluid

MAF cleaner

Throttle body cleaner

1 qt 5w20 engine oil (luckily I've been carrying the same qt since I bought the truck...it has it's issues but burning oil isn't one of them)

I may toss in some gear oil as I have some left over from my last service.

Tool-wise I just have basic hand tools, a meter, zip ties, electrical tape, etc.  Oh, and my GAP IId tool which gets used more than all the other stuff combined. 

Of course I have a tire plug kit as well.  I should probably pick up a spare valve stem while I'm at it too.  Maybe a valve stem core also, though it would be hard to loose one with the ARB deflator I use for airing down.  But hey, they're cheap and take up no space so why not?

Are you going to the British Recyclers Wrenching this Saturday, or Carnegie Workshop on Sunday, if yes, we can discuss with the others

and post the details here.

Some thoughts on food; BYO for the most part, but have a pot luck day I am thinking the 1st night camping on the trail to celebrate, and

maybe the last (cleaning out the fridge thing). As far as spare, the idea is for LR3/LR4s to get together with their list and as well as

DIIs/P38 and RRC/Defenders on common parts. Ea should have a full spare tire.

As for fluids, I would certainly bring extra for topping off e.g. engine oil, ATF, Coolant, brake fluid and gear oil.

Next week when I have more free time from work and 2 weeks before the trip, we can start posting add'l details for the trip: food, spare parts/fluids, weather,

emergency contacts, GPS coordinates, etc...

Cant make it to the wrenching day and I'm going to try and make the morg on June 6. Havent heard about the Carnegie Workshop on Sunday so ill look into that. Thanks Ron.

Bear just brought it up again, but my spares list for the LR3 (so far....it's an evolving list)

Thermostat bleed fitting

Rear toe-link w/bolts

Front sway-bar end-link

brake light switch

1 gallon DexCool coolant

brake fluid

MAF cleaner

Throttle body cleaner

1 qt 5w20 engine oil (luckily I've been carrying the same qt since I bought the truck...it has it's issues but burning oil isn't one of them)

I may toss in some gear oil as I have some left over from my last service.

Tool-wise I just have basic hand tools, a meter, zip ties, electrical tape, etc.  Oh, and my GAP IId tool which gets used more than all the other stuff combined. 

Of course I have a tire plug kit as well.  I should probably pick up a spare valve stem while I'm at it too.  Maybe a valve stem core also, though it would be hard to loose one with the ARB deflator I use for airing down.  But hey, they're cheap and take up no space so why not?

Thanks So much Don. this is an awesome list. I don't use fuel additives and just use 91 octane fuel and the LR has been running great but she's getting up there in miles and wasn't sure about getting that stuff that says it knocks off the carbon. I've got a wish list on roverparts.com  and the brake light switch is on there.

Just ordered some spare parts and fluids.
Desciption
Quantity
Unit Price
Amount

PHE000112_THM.jpg

Item Number:PHE000112

Air Filter

Sale! $18.95
reg. $21.95
$18.95

Air Filter
Item Number: PHE000112
$18.95/ea (sale) * 1 = $18.95
LRN7591G_THM.jpg

Item Number:LRN7591G

Differential / Axle Oil 75W90R GL5 Fluid 1 Quart

$20.95
$20.95

Differential / Axle Oil 75W90R GL5 Fluid 1 Quart
Item Number: LRN7591G
$20.95/ea * 1 = $20.95
LRNDOT4G_THM.jpg

Item Number:LRNDOT4G

Brake & Clutch Fluid - DOT 4 - 12 Oz. Bottle

$8.95
$8.95

Brake & Clutch Fluid - DOT 4 - 12 Oz. Bottle
Item Number: LRNDOT4G
$8.95/ea * 1 = $8.95
STC50519G_THM.jpg

Item Number:STC50519G

ACE & Power Steering Fluid Genuine: 1 Quart

Sale! $26.95
reg. $29.95
$26.95

ACE & Power Steering Fluid Genuine: 1 Quart
Item Number: STC50519G
$26.95/ea (sale) * 1 = $26.95
XKB500110_THM.jpg

Item Number:XKB500110

Switch Brake Light

$24.95
$24.95

Switch Brake Light
Item Number: XKB500110
$24.95/ea * 1 = $24.95
PQR500330SKA_THM.jpg

Item Number:PQR500330SKA

Belt Kit: One Primary & One Secondary Belt For V8 Engine Vehicles

$39.95
$39.95

Belt Kit: One Primary & One Secondary Belt For V8 Engine Vehicles
Item Number: PQR500330SKA
$39.95/ea * 1 = $39.95

Subtotal: $140.70 Shipping: $13.62 Tax: $11.57 Total: $165.89

http://www.1070maryann.com/images/oregon_2015_camp_pass_sm.png

Camp Pass now available!

We've set up a link in the NCLR Store for convenient payment via PayPal:

http://norcalrovers.org/forum/index.php?/store/product/27-oregon-2015-camp-pass/

If you would prefer not to use PayPal, you can make payment in person at the beginning of the trip.  The cost is per vehicle.

See you on trail!

Here's a pic of a small outboard carb I was having problems getting running a couple years ago.  It had been sitting for a year or more without running. 

yeah....I just pitched it and got another.  Hooray ethanol!

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz85/zelatore/Yamaha15carbfordinghy2.jpg

Don,

I've seen varnish, but never Vaseline.  Are you sure someone wasn't messing with you?  Was there a condom over the filler cap?

Graeme

Yipee! I got my Green Oval rods today. Took 3wks to order plus another wk of shipping from OZ.  Now to install. A little far for me to join wrenching day in Sacto tomorrow :( 

Yipee! I got my Green Oval rods today. Took 3wks to order plus another wk of shipping from OZ. Now to install. A little far for me to join wrenching day in Sacto tomorrow :(

If they are anything like the Johnson Rods that went on Erin's LR4 they don't take much to replace them... did you order the air compressor emergency kit as well?

Hi All - the rods are very easy to install. The green oval air suspension emergency kit as well as long as you figure out how to do it. It took Pedram and me a good two days as we were simply overthinking it but the instal itself is quite simple (you just need right tools as some places are hard to reach)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed.  The rods are a 10 minute job.  You can do the fronts just by putting the truck in off-road height then turning the wheels all the way to lock for access.  Turn the other way to get into the other side.  The rears are a bit harder to reach, I usually have to actually lay under the truck to get to them.

Spray them down with some WD40 or such before removal and they'll be a bit easier.  You can just pry the rubber grommets off with a flat blade screwdriver, but a forked tool of some sort works a little better.  I use a trim removal tool, though I hear a golf divot tool works to.....if you're willing to admit you play golf.

Back to the top. Updated the list.

We are down to 11 trucks; saw RGB yesterday at the British Recyclers wrenching; he is very busy with work and won't be able to make it on this trip.

Still waiting for Ulysses? If he is a no go, we'll be 10 total.

Rupert, how are we doing with the gas/refueling stop plans for the entire trip after swinging by your house?

Wait to do your major refueling including filling-up spare fuel cans till we get to Oregon. For example, 91 oct/prem fuel @ Chevron in Santa Clara today is going for $3.99/gallon. In Bend, Oregon, I saw Chevron posted for prem for $3.14 and even less if you are ok with Arco prem $2.99.

Weather is expected to be sunny for the most part with chance of rain some days; will have to check the weather as we get closer to our trip.

Will further discussions on other items to bring including portable toilet and wag bags - 2 days of the planned trip will be in a very primitive campsite w/no toilets.

Wait to do your major refueling including filling-up spare fuel cans till get to Oregon. For example, 91 oct/prem fuel @ Chevron in

Santa Clara today is going for $3.99/gallon. In Bend, Oregon, I saw Chevron posted for prem for $3.14 and even less if you are ok

with Arco prem $2.99.

Ron,

At that price I'll take as much as you can bring back for me ....

Graeme

Just chiming in to confirm officially I will not be making this trip.

It seems nearly impossible to rely on Paul running the shop for a whole week and I have too much to gamble on with that.

Hope you all understand, Have a good time and take lots of pictures!

Just chiming in to confirm officially I will not be making this trip.

It seems nearly impossible to rely on Paul running the shop for a whole week and I have too much to gamble on with that.

Hope you all understand, Have a good time and take lots of pictures!

Sorry to hear you can't make it Justin…Believe me, I know exactly how you feel.  We'll toast to your health around the campfire.

I am just confirming that we will be going on the trip. I want to head for home on the 18th. Also since this will be our first long trip with Grayson since he was 3 months old we're kind of playing the trip by ear so we may need to leave earlier. I will pay for all the camp sites though and Jared I'll send you the money via pay pal link asap. I was wondering if someone could post the route so I can look at the stops and plan our personal trip. I can also photocopy that route book and PDF it to everyone from my old work if you would like. Ron, I'll be doing a fill the boot fund raiser for muscle dystrophy on the corner of sycamore and sand Pablo this Thursday at 9:30-12 if you want to stop by and chat a little.

Archived