Official Oregon Back Country Discovery 2015 Thread

Got it.  Michele and I are both taking off on Friday so we'll probably head out earlier.  Although our departure time also is packing-dependant.

I've yet to figure out how I'm going to secure the saw.  It's sort of an odd shape w/o it's storage case, but the case is HUGE, so I'm leaning toward just throwing on the bar cover and carrying it that way.  I also need to decide if I'm going to take the 3 or the 6 gallon extra tank.  Honestly, I don't think I'll need it at all given I alreay have the 5 on the bumper and I have to head into town one night to drop Michele off at the airport.  I may just skip the 2nd tank.

Livin' life on the edge!

I'd bring 3 so you can make room for the chain saw :)

Joking set aside, I am confirming if Rupert is bringing is trailer and if he is, will check if he has room.

Also on Tuesday night camping, we are less than 3 miles away form hwy 230 and need to investigate if there's a local gas station. Some

are not reliable (open and close when the owners decide) reason why we started last reliable fueling is in Bend, OR and next will be

Thursday night camping at Hyatt Campground.

Let's calculate the miles from Big Lake to Hyatt and see what we get; when I did my calculation, I should have enough plus my 2 spare cans?

And for Rupert, pulling a trailer means lower mpg to factor in!

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also We will be taking off on Wednesday and staying the night in Klamath Falls. I see our campground on tues night is close to hwy 138. That will be our exit point.

Glad you and your family are still able to make it; do you have your route info to get you on hwy and back home!

Also I sent you my cell # and copied everyone.

Ok not an emergency but I'd like to check the NBA play off final scores on Sunday :)

Spot : NBA edition (comes in orange and shaped like a mini-basketball)

Important numbers to keep:

Deschutes Natl. Forest (541) 383-4000

TRAIL CONDITIONS Hot Line (541) 383-4010

I called this morning and the only warning from the trail condition is to keep camp fire small (fire season) and make sure

fire is completely dead before leaving camp; no permits req.

Jared: I'll post the anntenna parts pics this afternoon

Don: I" post pic of inside trailer if it can fit your saw

Ron: Delly! Delly! Delly! More impt is Game of Thrones Sun. Nite.

I'm bringing some food items and used tools for the donation.

We can definitely check the NBA score via sat phone and also may be call the guys next Thursday as they gather for the monthly meet.

Hey Rupert; if you know the mount, I can swing by HRO and grab the parts and bring them up your way... it's just down the street from me.

1) on the ham mount pic, the brass thread goes thru the hole on the left and tightened to the brass mount in next pic that was cross threaded.

2) the pic on right show the base of the ham antenna on left and on the right is the base of the CB antenna with the cross threaded brass mount. Notice the diameter of the center hole which is screwed to the brass bolt in pic 1.

Its a NMO antenna.

Call me if you have any questions

Thanks

post-412-0-24914100-1433962949_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-84276500-1433963075_thumb.jpg

do you know if any of the camp grounds have a small store? or is it once we hit the trail we're on our own?

No stores at the camps as they are pretty remote.  I think our final fuel stop has a store neaby.. Ron or Jared can confirm.

1) on the ham mount pic, the brass thread goes thru the hole on the left and tightened to the brass mount in next pic that was cross threaded.

2) the pic on right show the base of the ham antenna on left and on the right is the base of the CB antenna with the cross threaded brass mount. Notice the diameter of the center hole which is screwed to the brass bolt in pic 1.

Its a NMO antenna.

Call me if you have any questions

Thanks

Hey Rupert; 

Looks like a Diamond mount -- I'll run by and see if they have that piece as a replacement or whether it's only available as part of the kit.  Are the threads on the piece in the first photo still good?  If there is damage, it could simply cross-thread again.

do you know if any of the camp grounds have a small store? or is it once we hit the trail we're on our own? 

The final campground at Hyatt Lake looks well-populated and may have a small store.  The other campsites are highly unlikely to have a store.

However, if you review the trail maps, you will see that we pass through areas that may have services.  Waypoint 59 is near Twin Lake Resort, which has a store mentioned.

Additionally, waypoint 80 is at the Crescent Lake Junction (I-58) where commercial services will be available.  I didn't see much other than that...

Are you still pulling a trailer? I think you will be the only; Enrique is not bringing his trailer. If you are still, let us know if you have

room for a chainsaw, I saw Don posted about figuring out space for it.

I think I'll be fine with the saw.  I'll put it up on the roof rack with a cable lock.  Can't have my new Husky go walkabout.

Got it.

Folks, I know it's hard to think about donations when you still have to pack :( but let me know who's able to bring used tools, new tools

and construction supplies (small) e.g. box of nails, paint (white)... Michal said he has used tool drawer to donate. I have some also plug gift card

some Home Depot. Can I get a response form those who can, and those who can't no worries.

small

Ron, from your note I was thinking of picking up some Home Depot gift cards but a quick search shows there are no HDs in the area of Weed.  Not sure that's such a good idea after all.

Bummer that just last week I dropped off  a bag of clothing at my local GoodWill.  I'll be bringing something, but I'm not sure what as yet.

Hey Rupert; 

Looks like a Diamond mount -- I'll run by and see if they have that piece as a replacement or whether it's only available as part of the kit.  Are the threads on the piece in the first photo still good?  If there is damage, it could simply cross-thread again.

Threads are still good on that brass post in pic 1.

Don,

I forgot to mention that People who live that far north usually buy stuff in Medford OR. To avoid paying CA Taxes So if there's a HD or lowes or Fred Meyer in Medford....

Bear, I can send a text to anyone you want and then they can reply to my InReach in case of emergencies back home.  once we link up let me know who to send the message to.  Also, if I can get around to it, I'll send out the link for the tracking feature and people can forward that as they please.

Chris

OK here is the link to masher.  once my Delorme is powered up on friday people can follow along and send messages using this link and the map etc.

https://share.delorme.com/1da47a4751e04672b57c1638057245ac

share it as you please

Thanks Chris. I looked into that unit. I bet the price is worth the peace of mind alone.  

Just went grocery shopping. The LR3 spent the night in the shop. I had a cracked thermostat housing and some coolant was leaking. She is done now and read to go. I'll pik

her up first thing in the morning and start packing. 

Archived