New to me. P38 HSE 4.6.

Pkelly72

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pete, just read through the thread and I know we have been in contact via email. I am also a member of NCLR and you will find a great group here.

From your numbers, it sounds like a legitimate issue internally, most likely a head gasket. They are not too difficult to replace, just takes time and patience. 185k is a decent amount of miles so I am not surprised it needs to be done. My engine only had 100k miles and it needs it, but I am just burning coolant with no leaks I can see.

Pulling the heads will give you a diagnosis and you will be able to see a burnt valve.

Worst case scenario, you buy a rebuilt engine for around $2-3k. We just dropped in a rebuilt 4.6 engine into Beavers DII from British Recyclers but haven't fired it up yet.

Sounds like a unfortunate position to be in, but hopefully you can fix it. $5k is ridiculous., just buy another better, low mileage P38 and sell that one for parts or as 'mechanics special'.

Ted.

Thanks for the encouragement. So far, I bought a head gasket set, head bolts and a water pump from AB yesterday because of free shipping. I've spoken to tiger Dan and he's going to take a look at it around the endo of the month. The hope is that he can diagnose and then fix at a later time.

• 1 month later...

Quick update. I purchased a rebuilt 4.6 from British recyclers. It's being installed within the next few weeks. So far I have installed new brakes, front and rear and a new drivers door window actuator. I've purchased a 4+" lift with adjustable panhards and a Tom woods drive shaft. I Should be getting a set of 16" wheels then I'll look to get the 255's on. All the mods will go on after the motor swap.

Neck is getting better and my house is for sale. Hope to have it sold shortly then move into the new place.

I'll look to post some pics of the motor later.

• 4 months later...

Here's the record of what's been done or what will be done soon.

New 4.6 installed from British Recyclers - Installed waiting for break in period to be done
Sliders - Will be installed soon
bumper with winch - Done
TF lift with adjustable panhards - Done
Tom Wood Drive shaft - soon
Brakes, F&R - Done
Driverside front door actuator - Done
Passenger side door actuator - soon
Ultra sonic sensor - soon
new wheels and tires 5x 255/85/16's Bighorns- waiting for pickup
F&R Air lockers with compressor and 4:10 gears from GBR - Being built now

I've got a few pics but can't figure out how to attach them?

Archived