New to me. P38 HSE 4.6.

Pkelly72

I joined the club. I just drove my 1999 Bosch p38 home today. I couldn't be happier. It ran well no issues at 70-80mph for about 70 miles.

It has 184k miles and was purchased as a lien from a shop that installed the coil suspension. I believe someone has done work to this due to a Land Rover tag install the engine bay dated from 2001.

It handled well and couldn't be happier. I'll update later with differences between 80'and 100 series LC.

How do I post pics?

Thanks for the support.

Peter - modesto.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I usually pull a picture from my photobucket and drop the image link in.

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a618/PBastan/P-Fab/P38/IMAG0257_zpszm9l7rwv.jpg

But if your loading from your computer there is some features on your reply box just above. Look for the film icon. Then find your selection and post. Other guys use Tapatalk. Not sure about this, I tried myself and wasn't a fan.

Hi Peter -- welcome to the forum! If you're interested in becoming a member I would recommend coming out to one of our Monthly Off-Road Gatherings (MORG) to get a sense of what we do. Next weekend we're heading out to South Cow Mountain up near Ukiah for the day. You can find out more here.

Either way, congrats on your new P38A and hope to see it at an event soon.

-Jared

Hi Peter, and welcome - we just came through Modesto on our way back from Shaver and I know we have a few other members out here in the valley.

Nice looking truck. We have a couple of built-up P38s around and I'm sure they can help you with any questions you may have as you build up yours. It will be interesting to hear your comparison to the Cruisers. I would imagine it would compare most closely to the 100, though I'm not really that familiar with them.

I'll second the suggestion to join us at a MORG to get a feel for the club. As Jared mentioned we'll be up at Cow Mountain next weekend, but in March we'll be a little closer to the Sacramento area (details yet to be determined...)

Oh, as for posting photos I use a photobucket account and upload the pics there. Then I copy/paste the 'img' link they provide. I'm sure you can do the same with any photo sharing site.

I just purchased my 4.6L HSE, Bosch P38 on Saturday. It ran fine with no issues. I change the oil today and I get the following two codes:

-P1319 Misfire Detected At Low Fuel Level

-P0307 misfire at cylinder 7

Any help would be appreciated! I'm in Modesto and I'm about average mechanically inclined but I'm in a neck brace now and might just have to have a shop fix it. They are estimating $750 and that's just to change the coil pack!

The PO says he changed out the coils pack and wires in November but I'm sure they were the cheapest stuff he could find. This all occurred after I changed the oil this afternoon.

This should be covered on a defect warranty from the dealer of the coil pack. But check your wires and plugs. Look for cracks, hard spots, burnt spots, and try not to break more things. The spark plugs are ceramic. Very fragile.

I just purchased my 4.6L HSE, Bosch P38 on Saturday. It ran fine with no issues. I change the oil today and I get the following two codes:

-P1319 Misfire Detected At Low Fuel Level

-P0307 misfire at cylinder 7

Any help would be appreciated! I'm in Modesto and I'm about average mechanically inclined but I'm in a neck brace now and might just have to have a shop fix it. They are estimating $750 and that's just to change the coil pack!

The PO says he changed out the coils pack and wires in November but I'm sure they were the cheapest stuff he could find. This all occurred after I changed the oil this afternoon.

I would suggest the HT lead to cylinder 7 was dislodged. Check for corrosion and correct seating at both ends. It may be that the leads were old and fragile and bending them caused a fatigue failure, so it might be time for a set of Magnacor leads.

Graeme

When Graeme says leads he means wires. Spark plug wires. But he's right. I doubt the coils are bad. They hardly go out. Not commonly. Just check everything before you buy stuff. You will understand your vehicle very fast this way.

I was busy writing and had no idea everyone is on top of this before me.

The coils are located the the very back of your motor. If you look at it from the front they are up against the firewall (metal plate that separates you from the motor) by the dash board. Its a tight squeeze but you can see most of it from the sides.

HT lead is just fancy Brit-speak for spark plug wires. Magnacor is a brand; not sure who carries them but I bet Mr. Google does.

Ah, thanks for translating Don. Yes, HT means "high tension" as opposed to the LT (low tension) side of the coil(s) which is at 12V. Magnacor are generally liked for Rovers because they live better in the overly hot engine bay area than other types. A bit more pricey but they don't degrade like the carbon core types.

Graeme

Just a quick update - I took it to the European shop down the street for a diagnosis ($105). My neck is just too busted now to be messing with it. I changed the oil in it yesterday and that nearly killed me. I've been on pain meds since last night and now I'm just sitting in my chair with the brace on. If my surgeon knew that I even drove he would be PO'd. Thanks for the help. I'll update with info. later today.

Nothing worse than having a new toy and not being able to play with it.

We have a surgeon on-staff; perhaps he can write you a note. A special Rover based pardon so you're other doc won't get upset with you.

Archived