P38 Range Rover 12v accessory plug install

Teds

I finally decided to do a proper installation and rewire of the rear accessory socket and add a few others before DV. I did an easy re-wire a few years ago to get full time power to the 12v accessory plug in the rear of my P38. Unfortunately, the factory wiring is just not robust enough to run the ARB fridge all the time. It would occasionally cut out power to the fridge due to voltage drop. The factory put the ignition switched 12v accessory plug in the rear of P38s from 2000 on, I believe. Mine is a 2000 Range Rover SE 4.6.

I ran 10g wire (I know it is the wrong color) from the battery through the firewall, under the carpet near the doors and into the rear. I then installed a Blue Sea 6 port fusebox for my electrical hookups and made a common ground to the chassis inside the panel. I was trying to figure out the best place to put the fusebox to make it accessible yet hidden. The gas release panel is a secure fit into the rear panel and looks to be up the job. I then installed dual West Marine 12v accessory plugs above the panel. They are a tight fit and I had to bend the tabs at the back of the plugs to clear the chassis, but they do fit. I rewired the factory accessory plug to the fusebox.

I then mounted my 120v inverter when I want to use it, I can plug it in. I didn't want to hardwire the inverter yet, but can in the future. I may also upgrade to a Hella style socket for the ARB fridge for a more secure plug which will be easy to install with the fusebox ready.

http://www.speichers.com/pictures/rover/rr_12v_finished.jpg

http://www.speichers.com/pictures/rover/rr_12v_fusebox.jpg

http://www.speichers.com/pictures/rover/rr_12v_inverter.jpg

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:

After the Death Valley trip, I realized a few things...it is really hard to keep the 12v sockets plugged I n when u are flying over washboards and racing Colin through a streambed. I need to find some locking sockets or consider a Hella plug which I have heard seats better. The lower socket (stock LR) holds better than the upper ones but that may be due to gravity on the cords.

My inverter is not great and doesn't make a good connection even when stationary. I either need to hard wire it, get a new one or both.

When parked, it is great to have more sockets for charging batteries, etc.

My Goal0 Extreme350 rocks, but again, the 12v plug to keep it charged did not stay seated all the time. Need to figure out if I can hardwire or have an Anderson type plug.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Pedram
Can you make something to hold the plug in? Like a clamp? That way you can spend less time fixing and more time paying.

I think I am going to buy another 12v plug for my ARB fridge and hardwire it directly to the BluSea fuse box. Then I know it will never get dislodged and I will have a spare pklug for other cars. We used it last weekend in the 4runner.

I have seen 'locking' 12v plugs and sockets which I may have to upgrade to. That requires cutting the existing 12v pkug and swapping. I may do that for the GoalZero 12v charger.

• 8 months later...

Sorry for the short notice, but this opportunity just recently came up. Chuck and Tyler plan to bring their DII up to my shop in Santa Rosa this coming weekend, the 25th/26th so that we can do some work on them, installing the lift and tires from the DII parts truck onto the old Desertcrawler along with some wiring. Colin might be coming over as well and I thought it might be a good opportunity to make it a wrenching day. It can be either Saturday or Sunday, as we plan to be there both days it could even be a wrenching weekend, giving people the option to come either or both days.

I have limited tools and equipment on hand at this time, but I will bring my compressor and air tools down, along with some jack stands. I have a lift but it's not installed yet (and still needs two of the major components brought over from Concord). I'm not quite ready to bring my welder, band saw, lathe and other major pieces of equipment down yet, still have some wiring to do in the building to provide power to the location where they'll be set up but we can do a lot of things with what will be on hand.

Post up if you have any interest in attending.

I'm in for Saturday. The Hi/Lo interlock solenoid is locked in Hi range when the t-case it hot.Hopefully just the tip of the solenoid can be cut off.

Is that something that can be done from the inside going through the center console? I'd also like to replace the rivets with sheet metal screws for the tunnel cover plate.

Driving to Santa Rosa will be a good road test after we just had some work done on the RRC and it will make sure we're ready for the Shaver Lake run.

Additionally I need to mount a roof rack and pick up some parts that you're holding for us; count Erin and I in for Sat.

Jared

Tom,

Tyler, my sister and I are all heading up early Saturday morning. We will be driving two rigs. Let me know if you have some stuff for us to haul. I am trying to bring a bunch of Rover Parts (plus camping gear) but we will have back seats folded up in both the D2's...

Chuck, I have some steel shelving and wood. Should be (4) 8' corner pieces and a few pairs of cross supports (I haven't looked to see what is there) and 3 or (4) 48"x16" pieces of wood... if you have room it would be great to send up with you guys so Dan is sure to get it...

Hi Brenton, Chuck

Erin & I are coming up from Santa Clara through SF... can we trek up in your caravan as well? Just let us know when and where to meet in the city.

Also not sure how much space we'll have left after I load up the stuff I need to work on, but happy to be a freight service where possible.

Jared

Chuck, Erin & Jared. Want to meet at my house? It's right off 101, and I can guide us through SF to the GGB. I used to work in Novato and have a pretty good route that avoids the usual traffic patterns. Though it's probably not going to be that bad so early on a Saturday.

What time works for everyone?

1001 Key Ave.

SF, CA.

I'm planning on heading up pretty early with our two rigs. Probably leave our house at 7am. Biggest challenge right now is getting the white one roadworthy, discovered last night that the steering linkage needed tightening, sheared a bolt. Have a replacement and need to install tonight. Assuming it works, should be able to load up our two rigs on Friday and be ready for a 7am departure from the house.

That would get us to your place Brenton around 8am I would guess, with a stop for coffee. Unless you guys want to leave earlier -- just give me the time.

Archived