feeling like a real LR owner now

Phil.

Before you freak out in thinking it's a head gasket or dropped liner ( unless you already have diagnosed this (MAJOR bummer!) check the coolant lines up by the manifold plenum. The plate that the lines go to fail eventually and end up spraying a fine mist while driving, and will form a drop under it when cold. Either way, it's a common leak that is cheap to fix with the kit from British/Atlantic (or izzit the other way around?).

I was just going to say you have not been a rover owner until you hare replaced a motor.

Oh ummm.. I replace motors on my Toyota every year like it's a shoe. Does that mean I'm a land rover owner?

I was just going to say you have not been a rover owner until you hare replaced a motor.

it's all about baby steps. yesterday was not a good time to find out my floor jack isn't enough for my RRS. it only lifts 15" and 4500 lbs. ugh! luckily tony squeezed me in and quickly found the coolant bleed unit assembly was leaking. part in stock and i'm back on the road for the afternoon commute. thanks tony!

i guess it's time for a hi lift? i can lift right off my rover specialities rock sliders, right? and mounting on the baja rack won't be an issue. any reason not to spring for a hi lift? any recos on size/model? thanks.

Lifting from the sliders, you'll only need the 48" Hi-Lift. I haven't tested to see if my 48" can lift from the bumpers (you have to account for shock travel unless you strap it to limit the extension). Plus at that height things can get a little teetery. Is that even a word? I'd look into getting the base to help distribute the load on the ground, and the isolator to keep the handle from rattling during transit.

Lifting from the sliders, you'll only need the 48" Hi-Lift. I haven't tested to see if my 48" can lift from the bumpers (you have to account for shock travel unless you strap it to limit the extension). Plus at that height things can get a little teetery. Is that even a word? I'd look into getting the base to help distribute the load on the ground, and the isolator to keep the handle from rattling during transit.

yeah, be really careful when lifting with the Hi_lift, make sure there's no one near it (children) and definitely get the base. I have the 60" and has been very helpful on many occasions.

Hi-Lift is very useful but dangerous, upgrade your floor jack for use around your home and don't forget to check out the homemade brass fitting bleeder thingie on my LR3 at the MoM.

it's all about baby steps. yesterday was not a good time to find out my floor jack isn't enough for my RRS. it only lifts 15" and 4500 lbs. ugh! luckily tony squeezed me in and quickly found the coolant bleed unit assembly was leaking. part in stock and i'm back on the road for the afternoon commute. thanks tony!

i guess it's time for a hi lift? i can lift right off my rover specialities rock sliders, right? and mounting on the baja rack won't be an issue. any reason not to spring for a hi lift? any recos on size/model? thanks.

Phil, good to hear it's just the bleeder unit and not a head gasket issue.

For home use, I bought a 3 ton or 6000 lbs rated Sears Craftsman SUV floor jack - came w/2 matching jack stands (also rated 3 tons ea). Normally cost about $150 but got it during Craftsman club sale for about $100. Lift up to 24 inches.

Have used it to jack up my Defender, DII and even my lifted RRC. Great for rotating tires, change brake pads etc...

Like Enrique said, the hi-lift can be very dangerous so I only use it when necessary or for what it is intended for trail use.

Enrique, you sold your RRC??

phil: I carry one of these in the 2010 and the '95. Have used it on the 2010 (in conjunction with a jack stand) and it works very well.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/powerbuilt-reg-3-ton-jack-amp-jack-stand-1160455

Nick, I never bought one but still would love to get one...but looking to spend about 5K

Nick, I never bought one but still would love to get one...but looking to spend about 5K

I just realized that, that's not true, I had A RRC that I sold to Linda and she subsequently sold to Antonio. Just never had a LWB.

Enrique, you sold your RRC??

phil: I carry one of these in the 2010 and the '95. Have used it on the 2010 (in conjunction with a jack stand) and it works very well.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/powerbuilt-reg-3-ton-jack-amp-jack-stand-1160455

that integrated jack/jack stand is very cool... great for trail repairs.

Archived