TiVo Friends & Family Offer

Phil.

For the month of June, we're extending the employee discount to friends & family. Choose between:

1. TiVo Premiere box with Product Lifetime service for $399.00 (normally $599.98)
  2. TiVo Premiere XL box with Product Lifetime service for $499.00 (normally $799.98)

Plus, you get a bluetooth remote with slide out keyboard (normally $89.99) included for FREE.

Please note that TiVo Premiere only works with cable and over the air signals. This is not compatible with satellite or U-verse. Feel free to ask me about any details.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Phil, my hubby is out of town this week, but when begets back, I'll make sure he emails you. I leave all the av/ media stuff to him, the cars are my gig. ( while he was out of town I " stole" his modified PT Cruiser, took it in for a tune up, and now I'm getting it detailed!)

• 6 months later...

So far been happy with the build - major parts listed below and date purchased/installed in parenthesis.

After the build-up early part of 2009, successfully finished the Rubicon Trail in 2009, Dusy in 2010 and back to the Rubicon last year 2011. Been happy with my RRC performance so far; still has the stock 3.9 engine and BW transfer case.

Purpose of this thread is to share current conditions of the parts upgraded, what didn't work, and what worked very well; recent replacements.

Starting with the Sears Die Hard Marine PM-2 Group 34 battery. Decided to do away with the regular battery and upgrade to a Marine grade for two reasons: reserve capacity for winching and on occasion bring a fridge while camping/4x4 trips. Plus it's not my daily driver; like the fact that it started right up after RRC sat for days unused. Decided on Sears Die Marine brand for the 3 year warranty which I think most batteries life cycle ends.

Well, the warranty paid off (battery was made 02/08; I purchased it from my local Sears Jan 2009 included 3 year warranty); got a free replacement from Sears today.

The RRC was getting harder and harder to start this winter season; even after repeated overnight charge using a charger designed for Sears Die Hard marine battery; and keep in mind, I keep the battery disconnected when not in use. Took it back to my local Sears for testing and sure enough, failed. Getting my new battery this wknd (was out of stock). Hopefully another 3 years of good service out of my free replacement. Paid $189 for it 3 years ago (now cost is $219). Pay close attention to the purchase date and warranty (keep your receipt also); if I had waited for another month - the 3 years warranty would have expired.

Pic 1 - Pic of my 1990 RRC parts of the Fordyce Trail last year

Pic 2 - Sears Marine Battery back in 2009

Next... GBR lockers front/back update. Time to open up the pumpkin and check out the condition. Later...

_ _ _

My RRC has the following upgrades/mods:

- Detroil locker (rear) and Trutracs limited slip (front) both thrust bolted (installed 2009);

- 4.14 GBR gearing (rear and front diff) (2009);

- HD GBR rear (stage 3), and front axles shafts and CVs on the front (stage 1) (2009);

- HD Tomwoods front driveshaft; rebuilt stock rear driveshaft (2009);

- GBR Lift Kit using Old Man Emu fronts 747 and rear 748 (no longer offered) (2009);

- Front diff guard from RTE (2009);

- Rear diff guard from QT (2009);

- 33s KM2s (new in 2009);

- 5x 16" Wolf Steel Wheels (2009);

- Spare 33s (2009);

- Bottorf Sliders (2009);

- Modified ARB front bumper (2009);

- Safarigard rear bumper (2009);

- DBA (Disk Brakes Australia) Gold Rotors x 4 around (2009);

- New stock brake pads x 4 around (2009);

- RTE SS brake lines (2009);

- Rovertracks steering components (2009);

- HD Equipe Trailing links (2009);

- Replace stock alternator with 140amp version from British Parts of Utah formerly Rover-connection (2009)

- New stock cooling hoses (2009);

- New stock motor and transfer case mounts (2009);

- Using 50 lbs tie wrap (4x ea side) vs spring retainers (2009)

- New (2009) Sears Marine Platinum Battery;

- Cobra handheld CB and Firestick antenna (2009)

- Lots of new parts that could fail e.g. stepper motor, fuel pump, etc...

- LT230 (to be installed when the BW fails which has not)

- New power steering hoses (2010)

- Rear main-seal replaced (2010)

- New Winch LP8500 (2010) (not installed yet)

- C02 tank (2011)

- Ham radio (2011)

- And list of tools and spare parts to bring...

post-7-142414657487_thumb.jpg

post-7-142414657497_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting that Ron. Great set of mods to your RRC and yours was actually the inspiration behind some of the stuff I've done to my '95!

Right on. Hey hope to see your 95 on the Rubicon this year; saw it @ Catahoula Coffee; looking ready. See yah!

Surprised to hear the Sears Platinum failed within 3 year asits really an Odyssey battery and they are rock solid. Did you keep it on a battery tender when not in use? utilizing one truly helps keep the battery healthy and maximize its lifespan.

I use the Battery Tender Plus on my LR3 with the traxide dual battery set up....the single tender keeps both batteries charged any time its parked in my garage.

I hear you Jason; for the amout of money I paid for the Sears Platinum (or Odysey) battery, expecting to last a lil bit longer. That's ok - got 3 years of good use till this winter. Glad for the 3 yr warranty; got my free replacement.

The RRC is not stored in the garage; instead parked across the house and out of reach from an AC outlet. When not in use, I disconnect the battery, and drive for hours when in use to ensure battery is recharged.

I hear you Jason; for the amout of money I paid for the Sears Platinum (or Odysey) battery, expecting to last a lil bit longer. That's ok - got 3 years of good use till this winter. Glad for the 3 yr warranty; got my free replacement.

The RRC is not stored in the garage; instead parked across the house and out of reach from an AC outlet. When not in use, I disconnect the battery, and drive for hours when in use to ensure battery is recharged.

Ron,

Letting a battery sit for extended periods of time, even unplugged, is one of the worst thing you can do to a battery as it leads to sulfation. The longer a battery sits and is not re-charged the more damaging sulfation build up there may be on the plates. This build up occurs when the sulfur molecules in the battery acid/gel become discharged and begin to coat the battery's lead plates over time. The only way to prevent sulfation is to keep your battery fully charged all the time, ie use of a battery tender. Batteries that sit too long between charges, even as little as 24 hours in hot weather or several days in cooler weather, causes sulfation to sit in. Also, undercharging a battery to only say 90% of capacity will allow sulfation of the battery using the 10% of battery chemistry not reactivated by the incompleted charging cycle. Studies show that 80% of all battery failure is related to sulfation build-up and thus preventable with the religious use of a battery tender.

I suggest the following for your situation, either:

1). Rather than only disconnecting your battery, take it out of the rig and move it into the garage and get it on a battery tender

2) battery tender companies have solar options available in the $70-$130 range, ex Battery Tender offers the following: http://batterytender.com/solar.html

I personally suggest #1 as it'll keep your battery charged even over night. By using a tender on a regular basis, you should be easily getting 7-8+ years your of that Sears Platinum/Odyssey battery. For example I have 8 years right now on my Jeep Cherokee's XJ Optima yellow top D34 that get the tender used on it and it's still going strong.

Btw you can't just use a regular charger, you need a battery tender as it'll trickle/float charge the battery and monitor it proper state of charge (and won't cause overcharge situations)

Just replaced my Yellow top Optima with another Yellow top for my White LWB it lasted 5 1/2 years of punishment... I highly recommend one!

Two yellow tops in the Defender. Going 4 years. I will continue to use the free replacement Platinum from Sears, and look into the Yellow top. Hopefully the Platinum will give me years of good service using a battery tender when the RRC is not in use.

Archived