Who wants to offroad Sept 24 & 25?

Fun crazy day. Kinda disappointed with forward progress as I bent my steering arm to about 60 degrees. Deer Valley is one of the toughest trails I have been on. My sliders got abused!

Yeah, that's where I snapped a front strut on the LR3 last year and had to get Graeme to drive me all the way home to get a spare while Chad & Family hung out and camped with my rig on the trail.  

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After taco'ing my steering arm, Graham busted out a torch and heated it to red hot and we were able to bend it back close to straight. I was amaxed and won't leave home without a torch!

He has experience doing that same repair from Fordyce.  I think he bent 2 or 3 arms on that run!

Heading south with gravity helping is definitely easier than going up. Hopefully next year the whole route will be open from 88 to 4.

attachicon.gif2016-09-26 08.16.43.jpg

I thought I had read they were going to open it all the way through to 88 this year?  I guess not if you couldn't go through.

Podcast I follow is pushing through their clubs to have it and the strawberry trail open by July. If that works out we can go from HW 50 through to HW 4 as strawberry links 50-88. Which I think sounds like a great weekend trip...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Podcast I follow is pushing through their clubs to have it and the strawberry trail open by July. If that works out we can go from HW 50 through to HW 4 as strawberry links 50-88. Which I think sounds like a great weekend trip...

That's a plan!

What can we do to help?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

What can we do to help?

I'm not sure on specifics, I'll try emailing them and see if they respond.

It's the High Sierra 4x4 podcast if anyone wants to hear about things going on in the area.

I'm not sure on specifics, I'll try emailing them and see if they respond.

It's the High Sierra 4x4 podcast if anyone wants to hear about things going on in the area.

That would be great. If we could get the club involved and offer a weekend of help I'd be all for it.

Yeah, that's where I snapped a front strut on the LR3 last year and had to get Graeme to drive me all the way home to get a spare while Chad & Family hung out and camped with my rig on the trail.  

Don,

Yes, it was exactly there, just before "Don's Ditch" as I believe it is called.

In fact the repair location was probably less than 30 feet from last time.

It was a really enjoyable weekend.  Great wheeling, great company, and generally good progress.  We still have to go back to conquer Deer Valley though.

Regards,

Graeme

Great wheeling, great company, and generally good progress.  We still have to go back to conquer Deer Valley though.

Regards,

Graeme

Hear, hear! Was bummed to miss this one, but completely agree on needing to conquer DV again. Graeme, no issues with the fuel pump fuse this time? :lol:

Hear, hear! Was bummed to miss this one, but completely agree on needing to conquer DV again. Graeme, no issues with the fuel pump fuse this time? :lol:

Chad,

None at all.  We stopped at O'Reilly's on the way out of Sutter Creek and I bought a 25 pack of 15A and a 25 pack of 20A.  I think that issue is fixed though, as none were needed.  It was almost certainly the gearbox pinching the O2 sensor heater wire (due to a broken mount, that allowed it to 'bounce' on uphill bumpy sections, only).

Graeme

I thought I had read they were going to open it all the way through to 88 this year?  I guess not if you couldn't go through.

We passed 2 groups on the Deer Valley trail last Sunday.  Both groups entered from 88.  From the research that I did last week was that it was still closed, but not blocked or posted.  The Xtera club was camping at the creek because they knew the same.  Would have been easier for use to get home if we could have crossed the creek.  We got jammed up on the way back behind a group of 5.  One guy had a beautifully restored custom Bronco.  Rumored to have cost him $140k.  He was broken down and blocking the trail.  Battery dead, not sure why, and needed to be towed down.  His friends said, that of the last 10 times wheeling, he broke down each time.

Perfect trip for next year is to go from hwy 50 to hwy 4 via Strawberry, Deer Valley and finish up with Slick Rock.

One guy had a beautifully restored custom Bronco.  Rumored to have cost him $140k.  He was broken down and blocking the trail.  Battery dead, not sure why, and needed to be towed down.  His friends said, that of the last 10 times wheeling, he broke down each time.

The crime isn't that he blocked the trail -- who spends $140K on a Bronco?!?  :o  :huh:  :blink: That's a real crime.

The crime isn't that he blocked the trail -- who spends $140K on a Bronco?!?  :o  :huh:  :blink: That's a real crime.

The old classic Broncos are pretty sweet man, and they are only becoming more collectible. Besides, if he's passionate about it and has the money, I say it's awesome! 

Not like he spent it on restoring a Dacia Sandero or something...

I get it, but have you looked at the market for the classic Broncos? They're getting well up there. And in the scheme of collector cars 140k isn't really that much. 

Is it a lot to you and I? Yes. But if he's willing to drop 140k on his truck I'm guessing it's not a lot to him, so....

Remember, Don was just posting up links to yachts where people pay 100+k to rent them for ONE WEEK. 

I get it, but have you looked at the market for the classic Broncos? They're getting well up there. And in the scheme of collector cars 140k isn't really that much. 

Is it a lot to you and I? Yes. But if he's willing to drop 140k on his truck I'm guessing it's not a lot to him, so....

Remember, Don was just posting up links to yachts where people pay 100+k to rent them for ONE WEEK. 

Chad,

The funniest thing was when he tried to get cell phone signal while on the Deer Valley Trail so that he could "call his wiring guy".

Graeme

Perfect trip for next year is to go from hwy 50 to hwy 4 via Strawberry, Deer Valley and finish up with Slick Rock.

That sounds like a great weekend.  Makes me wonder if I can make it all the way through without breaking something  :)

Archived