October 2024 black rock NV morg

Hopefully everyone made it home uneventfully. All in all a pretty good run we met up at loves truck stop in fernley then headed north to black rock. Julia excitedly told the story of the water babies at pyramid lake as we cruised along. Once in gerlach we met up with my dad and set out across the plya in a biblical wind storm. The dust was bad enough at times we would loose eachother in the clouds. Once across we visited black rock hot spring and double hot spring then started to follow the applegate lassen emigrant trail. We made our first camp at soldier meadows where we soaked in the hot spring and watched the stars. The next morning we continued to follow the emigrant trail down fly canyon and into high rock canyon. We visited old ranch houses, looked at emigrant writings, and stopped at a stone garage where by a miracle we did no rover repairs. Our second nights camp was at Steven's camp a BLM cabin that's open to the public. Unfortunately the mice had decided to extra populate this year and it was the worst iv ever seen so none of us stayed in the cabin. Big big thanks to wood for cooking Saturday night. He made enough pizza to feed a high school football team and for me it was the best pizza iv had. Between the pizza, fresh baked Dutch oven bread, other assorted sides, and cobbler that took a bit too long to cook it was probably the best eating iv ever had camping. We settled in to drinks and stories around the fire. The next morning we made our way out and stopped to look at petrified wood. Once we got on the road my dad broke the bolts to the rear drive shaft but luckily it was a quick unbolt and drive home in front wheel drive. It was a long run for those coming from the bay area but hopefully worth it, thanks to everyone who came and made for a very memorable and easygoing trip.

Thanks Tyler for leading a great trip - epic scenery, great company, and lots of local knowledge and history! Hope we can get back out there soon.

We convoyed back to the Bay area with Wood, Tony, Sasha. Split at Vacaville. Made it back without issue to the house around 9:00pm.

Already missing the trip... the temps in the Black Rock are cooler than here!

Upload away! Photo album added.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1oKwjwPmSqrnvWJ3A

If anyone took videos you want me to add into a video sometime this decade, let me know and we can figure out how to transfer the files in full resolution.

On 10/3/2024 at 9:20 PM, Tyler Mattson said:

Sounds good my numbers 775 750 9086 keep in touch and well make sure we get hooked up

Good afternoon! I just joined the club and am bummed I didn't see this post until you were on the trip. As it happens, I am going to take my first trip up towards the dark sky sanctuary this weekend and am wondering if I could call you and ask a couple of questions? Thank you for your time, Phil

Thank you Tyler and Julia for a fun weekend! Mike and I enjoyed seeing where the Burning Man festival is held - Black Rock City, driving on the Playa, driving along portions of the emigrant route and hearing its history (thanks Marvin). As usual, the club members who attended were great to hang with. Leigh Anne

Thank you, Tyler and Julia for your hospitality and for showing off your amazing “backyard”.

I enjoyed the trip tremendously. Playa, petrified wood, stories from the past. All of it was great.

Kudos to Wood for a sumptuous meal of pizza and pie, and to Julia and Theresa for the cobbler top off!

Looking forward to the next club trip. Lost Coast?