Avoiding Tip Overs

Gotrovr

I am developing a program called "Avoiding Tip Overs". This will be a free clinic to members, and I plan on the first offering at our upcoming October annual gathering

Highlights of this program will include but not be limited to the following.

1) Discuss in general the physics and forces at play and how selective modifications negatively affect a vehicles CG and reduce the effective lean angle. My Mechanical Engineering background will prove vital in this regard.

2) Discuss recent tip over examples and contributing circumstances that increase the likelyhood of a tip over. I have first hand experience.

3) Discuss tips to increase situational awareness and specific avoidance techiques to help mitigate potential tip overs. Mainly common sense, but well worth the effort.

4) Discuss and demonstrate possible recovery techiques in the event of a tip over. Again, first had experience with several types of vehicle recoveries including a tip over.

My goal is to keep this program to under an hours time span.

Read our minds! With Shrek, then Hulk, just a matter of time for the next!

This is needed!

Look forward to this especially #4!

Perhaps also a blurp in the ideal first aid kit supply to have although not the focus of the trng!

Cool!

Im in.....Maybe someone can bring a wreck of a rover and drained of all fluids (trailered in) and we can have it tiped over like an acutal situation and then demo the flip onto the wheels...

Okay, that will take more than an hour, I am overzealous. But I want to be in this learning group.

I'm in for sure, especially after missing the winching session last December in Hollister. I like Mike's idea, though I agree that would be longer than an hour session. But if there's any way to make the situation more realistic in training the better prepared you are when it's needed.

Read our minds! With Shrek, then Hulk, just a matter of time for the next!

This is needed!

Look forward to this especially #4!

Perhaps also a blurp in the ideal first aid kit supply to have although not the focus of the trng!

Cool!

Don't forget Frank! The one who started it all...

just confirm that the lack of tire adhesion on the exposed tree roots played a signicant role.

Technically, wouldn't lack of tire adhesion help prevent a rollover? Like on a sand dune, it is pretty tough to rollover cause your tires slide all the way to the bottom...

now if there is something that hangs up the tires at the bottom of that slick tree root, causing you to come to a sudden stop....

Technically, wouldn't lack of tire adhesion help prevent a rollover? Like on a sand dune, it is pretty tough to rollover cause your tires slide all the way to the bottom...

now if there is something that hangs up the tires at the bottom of that slick tree root, causing you to come to a sudden stop....

from my observation, looks like his tire slipped off the top of a root, like falling off the edge of a table, sudden shift in CG, then snap role

from my observation, looks like his tire slipped off the top of a root, like falling off the edge of a table, sudden shift in CG, then snap role

correct, tie that into the opposite front tire being turned inward and - viola! - i have no tire to lean on = automatic roll

Archived