Gauging Interest Dusy Ershim trail Late Aug

Trail run is on hold Due to the Creek Fire burning near trail.

Thinking about doing a mid week run to Dusy Ershim tail. This would be a slower pace then last year with 3 nights on trail.More time to enjoy the lakes that we will be camping at.

Going 

Lutz  D110

Mike f D90

Jesse C D90

Weather 

low 70s day 

low 40s night

DIFFICULTY RATING: MOST DIFFICULT - expect body damage

Date : 9/10 TO 9/14

Agenda/Itinerary:

Thursday :  Meet up in Shaver Lake at gas station for last fuel up. All trucks must top off. After refueling Head to Voyager Rock campground 34 miles.

Friday :  Pack up camp and hit trail.Voyager Rock to top of Thompson hill campground

Saturday : Thompson to Ershim Lake campground 

Sunday : Ershim Lake to Lakecamp Lake campground

Monday :
Finnish trail head home

Overview: 
A very scenic trail that climbs to 10,000 feet at Thompson Lake, then rarely drops below 9,000 feet after that. You'll pass several excellent lakes offering good camping and fishing. Almost the entire trail passes through wilderness, which is just 300 feet on each side of the trail. Stay on designated routes at all times. Do not camp within 100 feet of lakes and streams. Carry a fire permit and fishing license if applicable. No target shooting anywhere along route. Pack out your trash. Trail is for summer use only and is approved for ATVs and dirt bikes. Make sure you have plenty of mosquito repellent in the warm summer months. Located in Sierra National Forest. 

Over ninety percent of this 30-mile trail is slow-speed rock crawling. The most difficult part of the trail is Thompson Hill (when driven uphill). It starts gradually and gets worse as you climb higher. Also very difficult are the last two miles of the trail, going south to north, as described here. Many other challenges await. The forest service recommends the trail be driven in a short-wheel-base vehicle with at least 32-inch tires and one locker. The fact is, even better equipped vehicles are seriously tested. Be prepared for breakdowns because help is a long way off. Never drive this trail by yourself. The trail can also be driven from the north starting at White Bark Vista. 

DIRECTION TO THE DUSY-ERSHIM ROUTE

Take Dinkey Creek Rd. from Hwy 168. Then take Mckinley Grove Rd. to Courtright Rd. and turn left to Courtright Reservoir. Cross the dam on the east side of the lake and stay on the road to the Dusy-Ershim OHV Route sign.

Quick List of vehicle mod req (and given your vehicle is in mechanical tip-top shape):
1) Solid recovery points both front and back,
2) Enough lift to run 33s/aggressive tires,
3) Sliders and Diff Guards,
4)Front and rear lockers, HD axles
5) Upgrade rear trailer arms (D90s/D1/RRC) if applicable
6) HD bumpers
7) Winch. optional be recommended
8)Ham operator a plus.
9) 5 gal spare fuel can. you may run out without it.
10)spare parts (will discuss this as trip planning)

post-448-0-69578600-1596351713_thumb.jpg

Edited by lutz

I’m up for this provided I get through the Rubicon again without much damage. Beefed up the back corners of the D90 to maybe keep the green parts off the rocks.

Mike F

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Definitely interested, assuming RR survives the Rubicon again in a couple of weeks time. If i recall back in 2017 it was the plan to do the Dusy Esrhim , but due to snow on the Dusy Ershim we did the Rubicon instead. Dusy Ershim is a trail i've really  wanted to do for years now

yea hopefully all trucks make it threw with no problems .

mid to late Sep?

Dates are not set in stone yet.You just dont want to run it to late or you get what we had one year. I'm also planning a trip mid September to Idaho but nothing is confirmed yet. 

post-448-0-89798300-1596509775_thumb.jpg

Edited by lutz

I'm definately interested ... just depends on timing with work projects.  Right now I'm away for Rubicon trip, get back Sunday, then leave Monday for a week in Portland (work), then I have to start catching up two big projects I've got going on here.  So getting away mid-week that soon will be tough.

• 2 weeks later...

If you push it back a bit I would prefer the week after Labor Day. I’ll have to miss a SCCA time trial and couple of appointments that have been booked for months if we go 31st-4th. I’m not going to miss the Dusy though!

If you push it back a bit I would prefer the week after Labor Day. I’ll have to miss a SCCA time trial and couple of appointments that have been booked for months if we go 31st-4th. I’m not going to miss the Dusy though!

its doesn't matter to me im open from the 8th to 14th 

Either set works fine. If I have to pick I would prefer the 10th to 14th since if would give a few more days to get ready after the SCCA time trial the previous Saturday. Broke my car and had to be trailered home after the last one, so being a bit cautious!

Mike F

Either set works fine. If I have to pick I would prefer the 10th to 14th since if would give a few more days to get ready after the SCCA time trial the previous Saturday. Broke my car and had to be trailered home after the last one, so being a bit cautious!

Mike F

I didn't know you were going fast too, what type of car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well Rovicon is over and now its time for Dusy .I know a few of us have some repairs to do before .Im thinking moving it back to mid week and hitting the trail on Aug 31 to 4th.

Unfortunately I wont be able to make it. Rubicon has exacted its jealousy square on my D2 and rendered me incapable of attending other trips. 

In fact, I feel the truck can make it, but I got word today that it's being deemed a total loss and at some point in the next few days the insurance company will remove it from the policy until I can get it registered as a rebuilt. etc etc etc.

Unless my open diff RRC can make it, I have a long list of weekend work to get the D2 back on the road.

Have fun guys * * * I'm once again out the LR world for a brief spell.

Edited by badfysh

• 2 weeks later...