2010+ RRS...I want to build one for trail capability but still enjoyable to drive on pavement..

I really want a new daily and comfortable car to drive when doing 8+hours driving on pavement to get to the trails...

I remember seeing one at last years at the annual meet, I’m trying to find more information on turning these into trail capable...

What is you guys opinion on these RRS?

https://expeditionportal.com/expedition-portal-project-range-rover-sport-final-report/

I want the 2010+ since it has more power.

I briefly had a RRS that I was planning to build into a dedicated trail rig. A few people here have built out RRSs; Esten and Chad. Esten's is a later one, and likely the one you saw at the Annual. Mario's minty green one was there, too, and I think I remember discussing it with you.

They are pretty trail-capable out of the box, just like all the modern LR3 and later Rovers. The shorter wheelbase makes it pretty maneuverable, compared to my LR3. If you wanted a fun on the pavement but can handle itself off-road truck, the RRS is a very good platform. Some of the 2010+ ones have a rear locking diff, but it's harder to find.

The limitation for adding off-road bits are two major things; brake size and parts availability.

Wheel sizes are limited by the brakes, and all over the place. The 2006-09 4.4l NA motor will take LR3 18" wheels, no problem. I forget the specifics about the 4.2l supercharged and can't remember if any 18" rims will fit over the Brembos. 2010+ non-supercharged will take 18" compomotive wheels, and maybe tuffant wheels, or 18" LR3 wheels with spacers. On 2010+ supercharged RRS, I think you're stuck with 20" wheels. There are pretty good 20" AT tires now but you definitely will have a lot less sidewall. Depends on what you want to do with the truck, but something to consider.

The bigger issue I had was parts availability. Off road parts for the LR3 are plentiful, tested, and all across the price spectrum. For the Sport, there aren't many aftermarket parts suppliers, so things like sliders, bumpers and roof racks can be way more expensive with fewer options. But, they're out there.

I really like the RRS, and don't think you'd regret it. 510hp sounds like a blast (and is on my short list for the next truck I get). The LR3/LR4 is a bit more practical (bigger, more utilitarian design, etc) but the RRS looks better and is a bit more luxurious. There's a tradeoff either way, and no wrong answer.

Thank you very much for the reply. I originally planned to purchase the DEFENDER since it announced, but since the pandemic hit.... I'm tightening my money a bit.

I'm currently have a D2 but I just feel like its super underpowered with all the gears I currently have. I want to get another Land Rover, so Im trying to do my diligent research... Porsche Cayenne is on my list as well.

I briefly had a RRS that I was planning to build into a dedicated trail rig. A few people here have built out RRSs; Esten and Chad. Esten's is a later one, and likely the one you saw at the Annual. Mario's minty green one was there, too, and I think I remember discussing it with you.

They are pretty trail-capable out of the box, just like all the modern LR3 and later Rovers. The shorter wheelbase makes it pretty maneuverable, compared to my LR3. If you wanted a fun on the pavement but can handle itself off-road truck, the RRS is a very good platform. Some of the 2010+ ones have a rear locking diff, but it's harder to find.

The limitation for adding off-road bits are two major things; brake size and parts availability.

Wheel sizes are limited by the brakes, and all over the place. The 2006-09 4.4l NA motor will take LR3 18" wheels, no problem. I forget the specifics about the 4.2l supercharged and can't remember if any 18" rims will fit over the Brembos. 2010+ non-supercharged will take 18" compomotive wheels, and maybe tuffant wheels, or 18" LR3 wheels with spacers. On 2010+ supercharged RRS, I think you're stuck with 20" wheels. There are pretty good 20" AT tires now but you definitely will have a lot less sidewall. Depends on what you want to do with the truck, but something to consider.

The bigger issue I had was parts availability. Off road parts for the LR3 are plentiful, tested, and all across the price spectrum. For the Sport, there aren't many aftermarket parts suppliers, so things like sliders, bumpers and roof racks can be way more expensive with fewer options. But, they're out there.

I really like the RRS, and don't think you'd regret it. 510hp sounds like a blast (and is on my short list for the next truck I get). The LR3/LR4 is a bit more practical (bigger, more utilitarian design, etc) but the RRS looks better and is a bit more luxurious. There's a tradeoff either way, and no wrong answer.

How can you tell on which has rear locking diff base on the looks etc? Reason I asked because most of the for sale post I’ve seen, they never post anything about it.

Now I just need to confirm if I can fit an 18†wheel.

Thanks

I have the '06 - I did get a set of 18" wheels and AT tires - which would maybe make it even better on the trails - but I didn't;t get a chance to try that yet ! Our of the box with stock 19" Pirelli's it was already pretty good - Brenton only had to pull me out of the sand once ! Locking diff would be nice - but hard to find - and the electronic brake locker works pretty well. And, yes Ac blows cold, Harman stereo is good -  and you can drive ant 85MPH+ to the events in comfort. Johnson rods are available for these also to give you 2" extra lift - and remove the front spoiler lip for offloading - gives you more clearance. 

I would get the 4.4ltr 06-09 - model however - 300HP is more than enough. SC engine has more issues , and the early 5.0l engine '10-'12 also had major timing chain issues which is expensive to repair. Budget to replace the air shocks, rebuild compressor, and lower control arms (front) at around 100K miles - and you will have a good and pretty reliable rig ... 

You can see some pretty nice looking '07-'09's for under $10K these days ... 

Also - I don't think 18" wheels fit with SC brembo brakes without some caliper modification. The only way to tell if you have locking diff is to see if there is an electrical cable plugged into the diff on the passenger rear underside ... (there may be a way to tell from the info screen but I'm not sure) 

• 6 months later...

You can get 18inch compomotives to fit the brembos by flipping the caliper blocks from my understanding.

As mentioned above, you can tell if the truck has a lockable diff by looking at the top of the diff from the driver side wheel well and looking for the electronic module on top of the rear diff.

The 4x4 screen will show a lock symbol in the rear diff but I believe earlier cars show the lock symbol even though the truck lacks a e-diff. You would need to put the car in 4 low and rock crawl mode and floor it on a gravel/dirt road and the lock symbol should engage if you have the diff.

See pics below and pic of my RRS I’m in the process of building. Luckily I have the lockable rear diff.

post-1433-0-97644800-1606376797_thumb.jpeg

post-1433-0-98570000-1606376835_thumb.jpeg

Edited by boostedt0y