March MORG this Saturday - UTC run!

As the astute among you will have noticed, this coming Saturday (3/7) is the first Saturday of the month.  And we all know what that means - MORG time!

And those of you who read the calendar will have noted this month's plan was for a snow run to Uncle Tom's Cabin then some easy trails toward Wentworth Springs campground area.

Well, it appears Mother Nature has seen fit to give us another very low snow year and I don't expect we'll have anything on the ground at these elevations.   There is a small chance we'll get some snow on Saturday as we climb but the weather looks too warm at Georgetown.

But snow or no, we'll still be rolling out!

The plan is to meet on the main drag of Georgetown at 10am.  You'll want to be sure you have fuel as this is the last stop before leaving the mountains.

From here we'll caravan up to the (in)famous Uncle Tom's Cabin along Wentworth Springs Rd.  We'll stop here for beverages and BS'ing then plan to head higher to find some dirt and (possibly) some snow.  

Expect to be on the trail most of the day, leaving via Ice House Rd. down to highway 50.  Bring snacks/lunch as there will be nothing in the area once we leave UTC, though they do usually have a very basic menu available there.  (best not to count on it though)

As always, feel free to PM me directly with questions or reach out on WhatsAp.  

Cell coverage in the mountains is sketchy at best, but we'll be on 146.460 if you're trying to reach us.  I'll also bring a couple extra radios should you want to borrow one.

See you there!

So it looks like now I'm out too.  I've got a tiny bit of a head cold.  In other words, I've totally got the corona virus and will bring death and destruction to all who come within 1 mile of me.  Or maybe it's just a small cold like everybody gets every year, but let's be honest with ourselves, global pandemic is far more likely isn't it?

Regardless, our man Jamie has agreed to lead so no fear - we're still on and you don't have to die from exposure to my horrible virus!

After I pass, please bury me in my Rover on the Rubicon.  Somewhere near the overlook would be nice.

Looks great. Sorry we couldn’t make it.

We got as far as Livermore before my L322 transmission threw a fault code and went into limp mode. I drove home stuck in third gear and proceeded to tackle the technical issue with my new found spare time once I got home.

Apart from getting oil everywhere, getting the ZF transmission diagnosed and apart was not too challenging for someone who has never done it before. The transmission is common to many car brands and there’s some good advice online.

I learned that removal and disassembly of the mechatronic unit is quite straight forward. Let’s hope that my root cause analysis is correct and she’s back on the road soon.

I’ll write up my findings in a later Tech Talk post.

6ba2a3a562fa3fbcb944e0edad310e85.jpg

Edited by RobertDingli

A few pics from the weekend. Saturday went up to Uncle Tom's Cabin, then Luke led us to a great trail up by Wentworth springs with about 10 water crossings and some technical spots. Then on Saturday Andrew and I (and Ferguson!) went up to Bowman lake and had about 2 feet of fresh snow to go through! Overall it was a great weekend in the Sierras! I had my dash cam on and have a lot of video to go over but will post later.

Edited by jaimymac