My Lassen area trip interest

I’m thinking of the Hat Creek Ranger District. MVUM maps 2a and 2b. No MVUM roads are paved, basically FS roads. All roads will be open on last Wednesday of last week of April. For you fishermen, season opens on last Sunday of April. Lower Hat Creek is catch and release , Upper Hat Creek is ok. Fish plantings are twice a week.

Snow roads are closed til March 31. There’s a hang gliding area east of Doty Rd and on Bidwell rd for you who are suicidal

Sights to see and explore lava tube caves ( always 20+ degrees cooler).

Campsites are mostly FS types some dispersed.

More research to come.

On group campsites

On California Discovery Trail

Anything of possible interest

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Recce failure. Sunday April 28. Did a solo scouting trip today. There’s still snow at 3500’ and 5500’ levels. Spent 90 minutes extricating my LR3 at 5500’ on hwy 17 northbound off hwy 44. I thought of driving south on 17 to 36, drove 20mi and 5 miles before 36 snow blocked rd at elev. 3500’. That was 5 miles fro 36. Tried taking a FS rd bypass, that too was blocked by deadfall. I brought a chainsaw, but too many tress down.If it warms up again, I try again in a week or two.

I think if my vehicle had larger tires, MT? and taller lifts. A piece of cake.

For those of you who are really interested. Here are some open weekend dates. May 18-19. Memorial weekend May 25-26-27*. June 1-2. June 15-16.

* if I can get out of mandatory training Saturday starts at 9am finish noonish.

I also have training on non-holiday Mondays and Thursdays.

Let me know.

FYI besides FS and BLM campgrounds and the usual private ones, we can always do dispersed camping,Bring Your Own water, carry out trash etc.

This Thread Will Close and Move To Members Only Forum.

Archived