Rubicon Rover Recover!

DHappel

Some of you have heard the story.  Some haven't.  I'll tell it as well as I can.  the names have been changed to protect the guilty.  Or maybe because I have a really bad memory for names.

After the Rally a few of the New Mexico guys were planning to head out and do the Rubicon before they went back home.  If you were there, you probably saw a D1 buggy - he was the anchor-point of the run.  In addition, they had another guy (RRC?  I didn't meet him) and a 3rd RRC (the subject of our story) who didn't make the rally but came up the following Monday just for the Rubicon.

They headed in on Monday.  I don't know how far they got on their first day but they broke something on the RRC around the Arnold's Rock area and camped there while making repairs.  Tuesday they got over the dam at Buck Island Lake but bent a tie rod on the RRC.  They sleeved it with a jack handle and continued but didn't get very far before breaking again.  They made camp about 1/3 of the way between Mechanic's camp (where most people talk about when they say they are at Buck) and the top of Big Sluice.  

Here they left the RRC and the buggy + the other RRC(?) headed on out for Tahoe Wednesday morning.  I believe they made it out that night and started putting in requests for parts to their friends back in Albuquerque.  Those friends got on the various forums to put out a request for help.

Around 9:30 PM Wednesday night on our Peninsula WhatsAp chat Cris posted a link from NASRow forum saying some guys were stuck on the Rubicon and needed parts.  I'm not a member of that forum but through relays I basically said 'here's my cell number, have them call me'.

We didn't hear anything until the next morning (Thursday) when the owner of the Buggy, Scott who I had helped with a few little things at the Rally, called me and gave me the run-down and explained what had happened so far.  He and the 2nd RRC were in Tahoe and now had cell service and were looking for a laundry list of parts for the RRC they had left behind.  A front dif with TruTrack.  Front 10 spline axles and CVs. Rear HD axles.  Etc.  They had been in touch with some of their friends back home and were going to try to ferry parts from NM to Salt Lake City where they could run out and meet the incoming parts then bring them back to the trail but that was crazy.  I was working in Sausalito that day but could break away early and come up to help but their best bet for parts was Tim Scully in Sacramento.  I put them in touch directly and focused on getting my job wrapped up so I could get back up to ferry in parts that evening.  

Tim was able to supply them with a variety of parts and even volunteered to drive in from the Loon side with them.  The 2nd RRC guy pretty much said forget it, I have to drive this thing back to NM and I'm not going back in there!  Scott in the buggy met Tim at Fresh Pond and they headed up Ice House Rd. toward the Loon entrance that afternoon.  In the meantime I had wrapped up my Sausalito job and was headed for home.  Via text I found out Tim was handling them so I basically was on 'stand by' for that evening.  Tim was able to get to them faster than I would have been anyway.  I didn't hear anything else after that so I assumed Tim had sorted them out and all was well.  Heck, since I had come home early for the week I even spent some time helping Greg pull the transmission out of his parts Disco.  All's good, right?

Until Sunday...

Just before our BoD meeting started I got a msg from Tim saying they were still on the trail and he'd call later with details.  He was now in South Carolina doing some Land Rover training at the Biltmore so he was out of play.  Later he called and told me while taking the parts in he'd killed his fan clutch and was overheating his D90 so he's handed the parts to Scott at the trailhead and sent him in alone then headed back home himself to catch his flight back east.  Scott had gone in alone that afternoon and met up with the RRC that night, then they spent Friday making repairs only to get about 100 yards before breaking again.  At that point they left the RRC and both of them rode out to Tahoe where they updated Scully who passed along the info to me on Sunday morning.

I got in touch with the NM boys Sun afternoon after our BoD meeting had wrapped up and told them I had my truck packed and ready to roll and I could swing by Scully's house where he'd had his father in law set out some more parts for me to pick up and ferry in.  They were pretty beat up and not excited to run back into the trail that afternoon; they'd been hoping to spend Monday making repairs to the buggy which was rather the worse for wear after doing the Rubicon twice.  I told them if I was going it had to be tonight as I could take Monday off but not Tuesday as well.  They said they'd think about it and call me back.  They did eventually and said they'd meet me at the Loon entrance.  This was about 2:00; I figured 3 hrs for me to pick up the parts and get to the trailhead, so 5 PM.  I got started and had a msg from them as I went saying it would be more like 6 pm.  Then another saying more like 6:30.  I slowed down and arrived at 6, then sat around until 7 when they showed up.  They then proceed to go all Beverly Hillbillies rearranging everything in the buggy for the run in and we actually hit the trail at 7:30 pm Sunday night.  In other words, just after sunset.

We made decent if not quick progress in the dark toward Buck Island Lake.  At this point I still thought they were camped there at Mechanic's Camp near the dam on the western edge of the lake.  I did have to slow and wait often for Scott but I didn't need to spot him and he was moving fine on his own considering the shape the buggy was in.  It was leaking brake fluid like crazy and only had 1.5 working headlights...the passenger light lens was broken out so the bulb was on but not putting out much light.  

Somewhere after Little Sluice (where I did have to spot Scott as he'd previously gotten stuck here) I pulled a bone-head move in the dark and slammed my passenger front wheel into an undercut ledge about 24" tall.  While not going fast, it was hard enough to bend the inner wheel lip heavily and dump all my air.  So we got to spend an hour or so with a 3 lb hammer and tire iron bashing it back to kinda-sorta straight so it would hold air.  That accomplished we rolled on (a bit slower now) and as we got to Buck I was like 'I don't see your truck...' That's when I learned they were actually further along, past the dam.  Actually, they were camped at nearly the same area Luke, Lutzi, and I had camped just 2 weeks earlier on our pre-Rally trip.

We got in and set up camp then with it being midnight and still being amped up from the night run in I looked at the RRC and said 'you know, it can't take that long to swap the front dif out' so we went ahead and stripped it down that night.  About 2:30 we called it and went to sleep, with a plan to get up at first light and button it up then head out.  I was up and making coffee by 6:30 but it took a while longer to get the NM boys moving.  They're not exactly morning people it seems, and being retired they lack a certain sense of urgency about getting things done.  There's a lot of standing around, drinking coffee, telling stories, rolling cigarettes, etc, and they do get the job done, but there's not so much military precision in the making it happen quickly or breaking camp departments.  Regardless, we had the front re-assembled with a new 10-spline open dif and my spare 10 spline axles/CVs and were ready to roll about noon.

We set out with a plan to take it easy and winch/strap the RRC as needed to just make sure it got out.  We winched him over one obstacle then not 100 yards from where we'd started, on a simple obstacle, there was a loud click/pop from the rear. Scott immediately said 'oh, we've just broken another rear axle'.  What??? How??? The Detroit in the rear wasn't working correctly so it was acting like an open dif and he wasn't even loaded up hard there; stock axles (what he was running now, having already broken both of the HD axles he'd started the trail on and swapped these in earlier) aren't the strongest things in the world but they don't just break at the fist whiff of load...Fuller wheels his D1 on 35" tires with and underdrive on stock axles as a matter of course!  But there was a distinct ratcheting sound from the rear and no drive.  So we quickly pulled out the axles only to find both were fine.  The diff was gone.  OK then, we might as well swap that too since I'd brought in a spare from Scully.

Normally this wouldn't be that bad a job.  We decided to do it where he sat as he was over a large hole that gave us good room to get under the truck without jacking.  But we realized the Bodge rear shock thing was loaded up and blocking access to get the diff out.  We ended up having to jack the truck up partially with a high lift then stick a bottle jack between the axle and bump stop to raise the body enough to flex that Bodge shock thing out of the way, then we swapped the diff, refilled with oil, put the stock 24 spline axles back in, and were off.  Only now it was about 3:30 pm.

Oh, I should also mention that for both difs we had to remove the dif guards for access to the filler holes.  Just a little bonus fun.

With everything re-assembled, now with all stock difs and axles (10 spline front/24 rear) ......... everything worked.  He drove it out with no problems.  We did have to winch several times and we did a lot of road-building, but he was able to get back to the Loon staging area without any further issues.  We arrived about 8:30, again well after dark but drama free.

I had gone in expecting the RRC driver must be, let's just say 'heavy handed' in his driving style but on the way out he was careful and did a great job.  Maybe he was more cautious than on the way in having spent several days making repairs, but he claims he was driving the same way both times.  I can't explain all the breakage he suffered.  Part of the issue was mis-diagnosis; for example they had changed front axles/CVs earlier thinking they were at fault when in fact it had been the front TruTrack that failed. 

In the end I believe the total parts count was:

both rear axles snapped (HD parts) - replaced with stock 24 spline parts

both front axles/CVs replaced (not sure if this was actually needed since it turns out the dif was bad)

both front and rear difs replaced; front was TruTrack and rear Detroit - both of these are regarded as very tough units so not sure how/what broke.  both were replaced with stock parts, 10 spline front and 24 rear.

tie rod bent badly but straightened and sleeved

In addition the RRC took a little body damage to the passenger rear door and quarter (fairly minor) and broke the passenger rear tail light.  I think that was the limit of his damage beyond the broken mechanical parts.

I don't know what sort of damage the other RRC may have suffered though it made it through on it's own.  All I know about it is the owner had had quite enough of the Rubicon and didn't want anything else to do with it!

The buggy took quite a beating.  By the time it was done he had almost no brakes due to a major leak (he'd refilled the master 3 times I believe); the fuel pump was intermittent; both headlights and turn signals had been broken; the front bumper was pushed back into the bodywork; and It had about a 2" list to one side.  Probably a few more items as well.  It was running and driving but was definitely the walking wounded at that point.  I think Scott was about done by the time we got out as he was clearly not driving as well as he had been earlier and was making mistakes.  Driver fatigue was wearing him down.  Luckily he was towing it from that point so he could make repairs at his leisure now that he was out.

I think the NM boys were heading to Sacramento today to do some further repairs on the RRC and get it ready for the 1000 mile drive back home and to visit some family in the area.  I made it home about midnight last night, rinsed the worst of the dirt off, and collapsed in bed.  I'm ready to be done with trail running myself for a while after doing the Rubicon followed by Deer Valley both directions, Slick Rock the hard way, Sour Grass, Barney Riley, then the Rubicon at night all in 2 weeks.  I need to spend some time inspecting and making some repairs/upgrades on my own trucks now.

But the short of it is this:  The boys from NM are out and will have a lifetime of campfire stories to tell about the Rubicon!

And...never underestimate the power of the Rover Under Ground Railroad.

Well done Don.  I think your karma is sufficiently topped off for a while.  I hope they were at least grateful if not compensating for your efforts.  Some of us were starting to get a bit concerned about your well being as the hours dragged on yesterday with no word.  Glad you're back.

Behold the Isuzu Vehicross!!!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I'd totally wheel it.

We also passed a group of about 12 Jeeps from the Vegas area who had a group from Brazil with them.  They were just coming out of the normally wet area shortly after Little Sluice and asked me how far to Rubicon Springs and it was already close to sunset.  I showed them 'you are here, you started here, and Rubicon Springs is way over here' and suggested Buck would be a better stopping point for the night.  :)

Oh and I was starting to throw around the idea that your disco should be renamed Mater, after the pixar tow truck, since you went in with the intention of dragging them out but since no towing was actually done I guess we will need to find another name.  

Mr Fuller,

And to think, just a few weeks ago you probably hadn't seen that movie, and now, you've seen it 36 times .... being a father has changed you ....

Graeme

I'm Jeff, the owner of the recovered RRC. First let me correct Don, I believe he unintentionally offended someone mentioned in his report.

I don't think the Beverly Hillbillies would appreciate being associated with me...

Seriously Don's report pretty much covers the story. I have no explanation for the amount of breakage either. Basically I thought an RRC with 3" lift, 33s, rear Detroit, front Trutrac, sliders, yada yada met minimum requirements. Obviously in this case I was wrong. OK break a diff, but both? I'm not a foot thru the floor kind of guy at all. I probably was driving differently on the way out as mentioned. I was pretty focused...

Anyway to have received the help I did from Don and Tim, and others, all I can say is I feel very fortunate, humbled, undeserving. Grateful? You have no idea how grateful.

Don has a beast of a rig and what's more he is beyond generous. To respond the way he did for a complete stranger, in a word, unbelievable. I hope you know how much I am indebted to you. You repeatedly, un-coerced, kept saying this is the window,I can get you out when we were initially speaking on the phone. I was slow to realize what you brought to the mix. You were spot on right out of the gate.

As I type this from a spot in the desert outside Kingman, AZ, I realize my great fortune. To be less than 8 hours from home still rolling in my own rig, outrageously fortunate.

This boy from NM definitely appreciates the boys from NorCal LRO.

Hello again Jeff!

I really can't explain the breakage either.  Given the specs laid out I wouldn't have hesitated to take your RRC through and the fact you did so well on the way out with only stock diffs and axles is testament to that.   Even with open diffs you got through several places where I expected I'd need to come back to winch you.  Then again, I'm always a little surprised how well the RRC works even when stock with a capable driver behind the wheel.

Should you get a bug to come back just let me know - we'll do it again only this time (hopefully) w/o the trail-side repairs!

I'm Jeff, the owner of the recovered RRC. First let me correct Don, I believe he unintentionally offended someone mentioned in his report.

I don't think the Beverly Hillbillies would appreciate being associated with me...

Seriously Don's report pretty much covers the story. I have no explanation for the amount of breakage either. Basically I thought an RRC with 3" lift, 33s, rear Detroit, front Trutrac, sliders, yada yada met minimum requirements. Obviously in this case I was wrong. OK break a diff, but both? I'm not a foot thru the floor kind of guy at all. I probably was driving differently on the way out as mentioned. I was pretty focused...

Anyway to have received the help I did from Don and Tim, and others, all I can say is I feel very fortunate, humbled, undeserving. Grateful? You have no idea how grateful.

Don has a beast of a rig and what's more he is beyond generous. To respond the way he did for a complete stranger, in a word, unbelievable. I hope you know how much I am indebted to you. You repeatedly, un-coerced, kept saying this is the window,I can get you out when we were initially speaking on the phone. I was slow to realize what you brought to the mix. You were spot on right out of the gate.

As I type this from a spot in the desert outside Kingman, AZ, I realize my great fortune. To be less than 8 hours from home still rolling in my own rig, outrageously fortunate.

This boy from NM definitely appreciates the boys from NorCal LRO.

Jeff,

This is the unspoken undercurrent that makes the Land Rover family so great.   Don really does represent that top echelon of LR Folks in that he has the skills, talent, and drive to go out for another owner as well as the mystical gift of time to make it all happen.  We too are lucky to have such a soul as part of the club.

And Tim as well adding into that the years of experience with Land Rover (and other vehicles)....

My goal is to spend as much time on the trail, learning from these incredible people without taxing them too much with my presence.

As for the RRC...things break.   It's just time to rebuild and do it again.  Some combination of time/location/parts/money..maybe it didn't feel it was getting enough attention (as mine does) and decided to be Rover Selfish.  Who knows.  So is life.

All that can be asked is that someday you will pay that favor forward from Don and Tim and host or help out another so that they too can marvel at the community that is the Land Rover owners.   Travel safe, far, and wide.  Until we meet each other on trail one day....

Jeff, 

Is your rover running a BW transfer case or an LT230?  If it's BW any chance it's viscous clutch as failed and is locked up putting big stress on your drive train?  Have you noticed any issues on your way home which would be consistent with this?  This could explain why so much failed with your locked diffs and once you were open open less stress was induced into the mix and you didn't experience the same carnage.  

Also I need to give thanks to my buddy Scott. Made 2 trips into the Rubicon to help me, after already running the entire trail. The man is a true friend. Has had my back countless times. If he wasn't in my life it'd be like missing my right arm. I can't thank him enough.

Also I need to give thanks to my buddy Scott. .......If he wasn't in my life it'd be like missing my right arm. I can't thank him enough.

Jeff and Scott...

If we share a campfire, I'd like to hear the rest of that story. 

astateofMike

The write-up was already great and the context with Jeff is even better.

Just re-affirms two things I already know:

Rover people are just way better than any other 4x4/overlanding group I know 

and more importantly --

Don is an asset to everyone that is a part of this community.  He may not always be able to help (rarely), but he always tries anyway.  I always feel a little more comfortable knowing he's on the trail with us when we go off-road.

Also I need to give thanks to my buddy Scott. Made 2 trips into the Rubicon to help me, after already running the entire trail. The man is a true friend. Has had my back countless times. If he wasn't in my life it'd be like missing my right arm. I can't thank him enough.

Yes, we should mention that Scott basically did the Rubicon 3 times back to back to back in a truck he had already made a deal to sell when he gets it back home.  That's a lot of trail miles and use to survive!

Archived