Hey Y'all,

The October MORG (monthly off-road gathering for those not in the know) is coming up in a couple of weeks and Don asked if someone can run it for that month because it's fleet week and he'll be unavailable.  I'm heading to Baja the following week, but I figured I could do Hollister without any problems and there are some people who have asked recently about doing something more South, so Hollister it will be.  Meeting point will be 10:00 am at the Ranger Station.  It is posted HERE in the calendar so please RSVP is you're planning on coming on coming.  If you're looking to caravan from South Bay, I will be at the Chevron station at Coleman and Newhall around 8:15 or so.  Looking forward to seeing you guys there.

Cheers,

Erin

Thanks Erin!

This one's not actually for Fleet Week; that's coming up though.  This is just a weekend job.  Everybody wants me to work weekends it seems and this fall I've got a ton of jobs scheduled I couldn't realistically avoid.  

Thanks Erin!

This one's not actually for Fleet Week; that's coming up though. This is just a weekend job. Everybody wants me to work weekends it seems and this fall I've got a ton of jobs scheduled I couldn't realistically avoid.

ah! I could’ve sworn that is what you said. Oh well. Not a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hollister is FAR bigger than PC.  It has actual trails instead of just obstacles like PC does.  I think you'll like it better.

There are trails from easy to hard as well as obstacle courses to play on.  Generally the MORGs tend to keep it pretty moderate to accommodate all levels of vehicle.  I'm sure Erin will keep things under control and not lead you down black diamond trails.   Leave that to me.   :P

This should be just enough to get your feet wet and make you want more.  More equipment.  More trail time.  More Rovers.  

Thanks Don!

We were curious about what to expect. Without differential covers, skid plates or rock sliders installed we need to be careful for now.

- Esten

Esten, I was going to reply this evening but Don beat me to it! Anyway, he is correct in that there are a lot of trails at Hollister at all different skill levels. I won’t be doing anything difficult as that isn’t my style and my truck isn’t a rock crawler. Not to mention the Baja trip is the following week so I’d rather not break anything.

Erin

Thanks Don!

We were curious about what to expect. Without differential covers, skid plates or rock sliders installed we need to be careful for now.

- Esten

I’ve done a Hollister a few times with my 07 RR full size before I had rock sliders. I completed all the green and most of the blue trails and don’t think I sustained any underbody damage. I even did a couple of the black diamond trails.

I did get many light scratches down both sides of my rig on the more overgrown trails. My RTT was also a source of concern at times. Lastly, you might have to accept scratched wheels.

There are trails for everyone and if it rains this week, it will be even more fun. Watch out for soft road edges.

Come along. You will have a great time.

PS. The mud from Hollister sets like concrete. I made good use of the car wash in Gilroy on the way home last time and am very happy that I did.

If a guy in a red open-top D1 offers to take you up something called "Truck Hill", politely decline. Otherwise, you'll be fine on anything the group leads you on. Take the RRS and the Evoque!

My first two events I did with the club were at Hollister, in a stock LR3. Had a great time and never felt like I was going to hurt my truck. Some of the trails in Hudner (part of Hollister) are a bit narrow so you might get some desert pin-striping.

Best part is, if you're ever uncomfortable, you just park your truck and hop in someone's passenger seat!

My only piece of advice is buy a cheapo baofeng radio (I have the UV-5R, $24 on amazon) so you can communicate with the group.

You'll have a blast!

If a guy in a red open-top D1 offers to take you up something called "Truck Hill", politely decline. Otherwise, you'll be fine on anything the group leads you on. Take the RRS and the Evoque!

Or a gold colored RRC ....

Rock sliders won't save you!

Regards,

Graeme

Or a gold colored RRC ....

Rock sliders won't save you!

Regards,

Graeme

thank you sir, for scaring everyone off now! 🤦🏻‍♀️

:blink:(Esten) :o(Shawna) Nope! And after seeing that Shawna says her Evoque is staying home! :D

I’m not taking any one near that hill so don’t worry. I won’t take my LR4 up it so I would never make any one do something I wouldn’t do. Colin is someone who takes his trucks through the Rubicon so it’s all relative, but please don’t let that keep you from coming.

The moral of the above video is simple. Don't do J-turns on a steep hill!

Also, watch out for ruts!

Lutz and Tammy are both gonna camp Saturday night, I might join you guys. Spending the night camping would be good for the soul .

Andrew,

You sure need something to brighten you up .... at least when a guy in a Black Tesla Model 3 starts honking the horn at you, give him the finger or something .... (101 southbound, just before Automall, 2:30pm ish).

Graeme

Archived