Well, I Bought a P38...

Just brought home my fancy new P38. I got it as a direct trade for my ‘93 Honda XR200, which I spent a total of $350 on.

On first impression, the body is decently straight, but the interior is rough. I opened the hood and it looks like the upper tank on the radiator cracked and was badly repaired with an enourmous booger of JB weld. The expansion tank was bone dry. Everything else seems to be in okay shape, except for some piece of electronic equipment that I don’t yet know the purpose of. It started, but ran really rough, and clearly had a bad misfire, and obviously could not be run for very long without overheating.

I went to pick it up with a trailer and a couple gallon jugs of water for the radiator, with the plan to put it into low range and drive it up onto the trailer. I opened the hood, and put some water into the expansion tank, only for it to immediately run out onto the ground...okay... A quick inspection underneath revealed the engine was missing one of the freeze plugs. I ended up running it to drive it up onto the trailer anyways and towed it home.

I got it back to the house and ran to the nearest auto parts store to get a freeze plug and a battery for it. I filled up the coolant system, and there weren’t anymore serious coolant leaks, other than a really slow drip where the bottom nipple on the expansion tank was cracked and also badly repaired with JB weld.

Leaving the cooling system for the moment, I then decided to tackle the misfire. I figured I’d eliminate the most obvious thing first, and put 5 gallons of relatively fresh gas in it. This led to the discovery that I’d accidentally locked the driver door- not a big deal since the window was down. I opened the door, and found the gas door button was broken, and that since I locked the driver door, I couldn’t open the hatch anymore, even when the driver door was unlocked - nice. I awkwardly climbed over the rear seats and used the emergency release to open the fuel door. Fresh gas didn’t fix anything, but I didn’t really expect it to, and at least now it had enough fuel for me not to worry about it until I actually started driving it.

Next I pulled the spark plugs, which all looked pretty black and were all different brands. The misfire seemed too bad to only be caused by plugs, so I ran a compression test. Zero compression on cylinders 2 and 4. I’m assuming the head gasket has blown between those two cylinders, but won’t know until I get the heads off, hopefully tomorrow. I guess then I’ll determine if I’m going to part it out or try and get it going.

Yeah, Disco is almost done. The main issue is the Disco is in CA, and I am not. I ended up paying Dan to finish putting it together, and I’m going to come down in late August and deal with a bunch of things on it. Mainly a new drag link and a major interior detail (Slightly leaky windshield + nearly constant fog = no bueno). I also want to do a bunch of maintainance type things before the break in period. Then I’ll probably turn it over to my Dad to put the 1500 around town break in miles, and drive it back to NM in November.

I’ve got big plans for the Disco when I can get it back here. It’s going to get new front and rear bumpers, a new tire carrier, and a full exocage. The P38 I want to either get running, or part out and make my money back. Right now, I think I can get it running, because I head gasket job isn’t too bad, and even if it is an issue with the head, I’ve actually got a set of 4.6 heads off of the old DII motor that should be fine with some surfacing.

Well, I pulled off the passengers side valve cover, and the pushrod on the cylinder 8 intake valve has decided to take a vacation. I’m assuming it’s sitting in the lifter valley, but we’ll see...

• 4 weeks later...

Yikes. Sounds like u opened up a can of works. Of course I'm partial to the P38 but its the same engine as a disco.

Coil packs can also be a cause of misfire but obviously u have some more mechanical issues to deal with first.

Good luck! Want to see her on the road again!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm very upset with Tyler lately.  He doesn't check in daily and post constant updates about what he's doing with his Rovers.  It's almost like he's gone off to school and made new friends/interests and has a life outside the club.  

Archived