'18 L494 5.0 SC Dynamic in South Bay

packetpilot

I picked up my Range Rover Sport from Monterey back on 20th May, and since then have:

1. Had an exhaust shop fab some muffler-delete pipes so I can hear the thing (it's my first V8 after all):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRnAt4jLukI

2. Had some (medically-justified/documented) 3M ceramic tint applied to the front windows (20%) and windshield (50%).

3. Busted up my front bumper cover in along some old mining roads in Virginia City, NV:

post-1187-0-00262300-1528156846_thumb.jpg
@ the scene of the incident the following day (to pick up pieces left behind)

post-1187-0-45528800-1528156770_thumb.jpg
Assessing the damage

post-1187-0-27908700-1528156736_thumb.jpg

"Road-ready" painters tape treatment held up at speeds of [redacted]

4. Found and fitted this pretty sinister-looking 1957 Wyoming plate from a Virginia City antiques shop, to tide me over until my plates arrive:

post-1187-0-04597200-1528156695_thumb.jpg

It was an eventful first week w/ the L494.

Oh, I also shaved the Land Rover badge off the lift gate and plan to do the same w/ the "Sport Supercharged" badge as well.

Adding rear end insult to front end injury, I also managed to muck up the paint a wee bit on the lower edge of the lift gate since I backed close to a wall, and w/ the keyfob in a hoodie pocket, squatted down to hear the lift gate servos actuate. It was painful since it all happened in slow motion, but "whatever, it's a truck" (or so I keep telling myself).

The front bumper's getting sorted now w/ a new cover/fog surround, and hopefully soon I'll get my hands on a DoIP VCI so I can start fiddling around with Pathfinder and the manipulation of CCF files.

I don't have many other plans, save maybe a set of smaller wheels (20" is as small as I can go, afaik) and some proper A/T tires--hopefully a set of BFG T/A KO2's are doable (I wouldn't mind sacrificing 'access height' functionality).

I also hope to do a bit of "camping" with the truck, with or without a tent...  :D

post-1187-0-87674400-1528156663_thumb.jpg

Glad to be part of a new(-to-me) community and to start exploring a new hobby.

Welcome! Good to see more Range Rovers in the club. 

Just leave the damaged part off, and trim along that line all the way across the bumper. A nice run of rubber molding along it, and a metal skid plate, and it will look clean and give you a couple inches of clearance.

Welcome! Good to see more Range Rovers in the club. 

Just leave the damaged part off, and trim along that line all the way across the bumper. A nice run of rubber molding along it, and a metal skid plate, and it will look clean and give you a couple inches of clearance.

Hah! Next time I bust it up, I may well go this route!

Sounds nice, how is it inside? Kind of makes me want to do one of those bypass valves...

It's not horrible; there's a bit of drone around 1750 RPM, but I'm not exactly at that engine speed when cruising, so it doesn't bother me (for now).

My last car, an M4, had muffler bypass valves, and I definitely liked that setup (so did my neighbors), but this is my first V8, so I'm embracing it!

Hah! Next time I bust it up, I may well go this route!

It's not horrible; there's a bit of drone around 1750 RPM, but I'm not exactly at that engine speed when cruising, so it doesn't bother me (for now).

My last car, an M4, had muffler bypass valves, and I definitely liked that setup (so did my neighbors), but this is my first V8, so I'm embracing it!

Lucky 8 off road bumper and Johnson rods??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lucky 8 off road bumper and Johnson rods??

Looks like they only go up to '09, and w/ all the heat exchangers the SC5.0's got up front, I've got a feeling no similar offering would ever come to market for the L494.

Johnson rods look like they only go to '17, unless they're just slow to update their website (based on the site design, maybe that's a safe bet).

Archived