Look what I found... WNLRR plaque

Yikes, I'm pretty sure it's Sierra Nevada, not 'Nevadas'.  Hope they fix that before doing a big run of them.

To me it's like writing, "I'm heading up into the Yukons" or "We're going down to the Baja Californias."

Sometimes I'll hear people say they're going up to the 'Sierras' but I'm pretty sure you're not grammatically correct in doing so.

Now, if anyone is still around/not asleep I'll close the door on the way out...  B)

The actual secret is that it's photoshoped from a 2015 Sedona plaque....look closely at the one in my pic - it's literally the same one from the insta photo, we were just using it as a stand-in because the 2018 plaques haven't been made yet.

To that end, I'd better relay RedRover's comments!

Yikes, I'm pretty sure it's Sierra Nevada, not 'Nevadas'.  Hope they fix that before doing a big run of them.

To me it's like writing, "I'm heading up into the Yukons" or "We're going down to the Baja Californias."

Sometimes I'll hear people say they're going up to the 'Sierras' but I'm pretty sure you're not grammatically correct in doing so.

Now, if anyone is still around/not asleep I'll close the door on the way out...  B)

The more I think about this, the less sure I am of it.

I certainly would say 'going to the Sierras', just as I would say 'the Rockies' or 'the Smokies'.  

Who's the authority on such things?

Mr. Webster?  Is there a Mr. Danial Webster in the house?

Well that’s the thing, Don — I’m definitely not going to be the authority but if someone else gets one and says something...I’ve made my comment.

My college professor in ‘History of California’ made a big enough deal of it that I won’t forget... but even that isn’t authoritative... maybe he was just very particular.

Well that’s the thing, Don — I’m definitely not going to be the authority but if someone else gets one and says something...I’ve made my comment.

My college professor in ‘History of California’ made a big enough deal of it that I won’t forget... but even that isn’t authoritative... maybe he was just very particular.

Not sure if this applies, but I have definitely referred to multiple beers as Sierra Nevadas. Like “toss me one of those sierra nevadas “ or “I brought some Sierra nevadas”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ass:  Covered.

Actually, I've already forwarded this on to Doug who's having them made.  We shall see if they've already gone to production but I don't think so.

Jared,

Agree.

Although when people say "going into the Sierras" (or "going into the Yukons") they are normally shortening "going into the Sierra Nevada Mountains" so I suppose there should be an apostrophe, but that would look even worse ....

Graeme

and here comes the Cliff Claven of the club....

https://www.britannica.com/place/Sierra-Nevada-mountains

"Alternative Titles: High Sierras, Sierra Nevadas

Sierra Nevada, also called Sierra Nevadas, major mountain range of western North America, running along the eastern edge of the U.S. state of California."

and so on...

But with that said...I also refer to them as the SIerra Nevadas or the Sierra's but Sierra Nevada is a Spanish term meaning "snow-covered mountain range" (sierra is one of the Spanish words for "mountain range").

Am I correct?  According to these folks:  http://www.thehighsierra.org/sierra_or_sierras.htm

"The Sierra Nevada is distinctly a unit, both geographically and topographically, and is well described as "una sierra nevada." Strictly speaking, therefore, we should never say "Sierras," or "High Sierras," or "Sierra Nevadas" in referring to it. Nevertheless, these forms are so frequently found in the very best works of literature and science that it would perhaps be pedantic to deny their admissibility. It becomes, therefore, a matter of preference, and for our part we rather like to keep in mind the unity of our great range by calling it simply "The Sierra" or "The Sierra Nevada." "

So the Sierra Nevada would be plural I guess.  And in New California, get your intrastate travel cards ready...

But with that said...I also refer to them as the SIerra Nevadas or the Sierra's but Sierra Nevada is a Spanish term meaning "snow-covered mountain range" (sierra is one of the Spanish words for "mountain range").

Am I correct? According to these folks: http://www.thehighsierra.org/sierra_or_sierras.htm

"The Sierra Nevada is distinctly a unit, both geographically and topographically, and is well described as "una sierra nevada." Strictly speaking, therefore, we should never say "Sierras," or "High Sierras," or "Sierra Nevadas" in referring to it. Nevertheless, these forms are so frequently found in the very best works of literature and science that it would perhaps be pedantic to deny their admissibility. It becomes, therefore, a matter of preference, and for our part we rather like to keep in mind the unity of our great range by calling it simply "The Sierra" or "The Sierra Nevada." "

So the Sierra Nevada would be plural I guess. And in New California, get your intrastate travel cards ready...

Mike,

Hold on, you're quoting the Encyclopedia Britannica and are an American that drives on a parkway, yet parks on a driveway? You eat your main course, or "entrée" which of course is a French word meaning to start, or, in meal terms, an appetizer (how confused I was when I came to the States ...).

I'll just go and comb my hairs now .... or put on a pair of pants (but only one).

Ah, the joys of language.

So, yes, it might not be strictly correct, but common usage mutates our language. Took me a long time to realize that "sick" is now a good thing, and "dope" is apparently too ....

Regards,

Graeme

{get off of my lawn ....}

Mike wins for using the word pedantic.  One of my favorites.

However, I will no doubt continue to say 'sierras'.  Being from the mid-west and even worse, of German ancestry, I have no Spanish to guide me.    

I will on the other hand be sure to throw up a bit every time somebody says, or worse yet writes, 'anyways'.  No S allowed!

Don 'may my lawn remain untrodden' Happel

Irregardless of our verbal preference, make sure the badges are correct.

(My HS Principal used to say irregardless all the time....I throw it in knowing what is incorrect, but giving me a chuckle.)

A state of removed my lawn as I didn't think I needed a "small patch of green grass" for others to walk on.

Archived