Alcan 2009

ROVRMAN2

I'm researching for an Alaskan trip in May thru June 0f 2009 approx 6wks.

POIs: Alcan hwy,Dawson Crk,Fairbanks,Juneau,Skagway,Anchorage, Pt Barrow,Denali,Watson Lk, glaciers etc.

Travel on land and by ferry (Alaskan & BC).

est. fuel costs for 7-8k mi @ $5/gal. approx $3-4K.

Mainly daily camping, weekly motels for cleanup etc.

If 3-5 vehicles go, maybe we can convince the board to make this an official trip? The 1st NCLR Alaska Expedition?

I'm guessing be prepared for total expenses in the $5-6k range.

Start & end point is NorCal.

Anyone interested?

If anyone's done this before, prevent me from re-inventing the wheel and please post any info here or PM me.

Places you must stop would be Laird Hot Springs in Canada -- plus another great spot is Kennicot mines. I might be interested, with some advance planning, if I can get some family time in.

I have family in the Girdwood/Whittier area, Fairbanks/Denali area, and Homer...

have wanted to do this for a while. steven and i actually tossed the idea of an '09 trip around a year or two ago. would be tough with my three little ones, especially when the youngest would only be 16-17 months old. oh, and there's also the issue of getting that kind of time off... hmm, perhaps i'll have to quit just prior to the trip.

have wanted to do this for a while. steven and i actually tossed the idea of an '09 trip around a year or two ago. would be tough with my three little ones, especially when the youngest would only be 16-17 months old. oh, and there's also the issue of getting that kind of time off... hmm, perhaps i'll have to quit just prior to the trip.

Yup... but I might have to put this trip off... Suzi looked at me yesterday and said she was thinking about wanting one more... :eek: I told her only if I got to buy a 110. Oddly, she said OK... :confused: ...somethings going on here...

We're doing the trip in June/July this year. It's one we've wanted to do for about 10 years and it's finally coming true. Our planning includes HMB to Bellingham, Alaska Ferry to Haines, then Valdeez, Anchorage, Denali NP, Fairbanks, Fort McPhearson above the Arctic Circle then south along some but not all of the Alaska Highway. Currently planned at 6000 driving miles and 36 days but after Denali the plan is very flexible. We are taking the ferry north to avoid having to hit a specific return date. I used 250 miles per day as a planning number and motel stops every 4-5 days. The group will need reservations for the ferry and for Denali NP. This year the ferry cost is about $2000 for the Disco, two people and a stateroom. I'm figuring $5500-$6000 for the trip not counting all the outfitting I've done to the Disco and our gear.

2009 will be too soon for us to do a repeat but I'll enjoy consulting on the trip planning. I also hope to get enough internet access to post up our progress and a few pictures along the way.

Archived