Dec MORG

It's coming up...December 2nd is the first Saturday.

Anybody have a preference for locations?

Frank Rainse is open again and at the top of my current list as it's more centrally located.

We could try Carnegie or La Grange; both cater more to bikes than trucks from what I know.  I've only been to Carnegie once and most of it was closed then due to mud restrictions so I didn't get to see much of it.  I've never been to La Grange at all.

Of course we have the old standby of Hollister.  

Or we could go to Prairie City - not really trails here so much as obstacles to play on.  

Or maybe Folsom Lake - I'd need to hear some feedback from the locals up there as to what's currently available.  Again not really trails here but depending on lake level you can play on the rocks and explore.  Maybe not exactly where we explored the last time though...

Let's hear some input and pin it down in the next week or so.

The lake is low and there are lots to do out there...I had the family out a couple weeks ago and have itching to go back with the D1.

I think Prairie City is great as there is obstacles for everyone...could do some recovery training as people were asking.

Could easily do both in one day, start at Prairie City as it's closer to the Bay then grab lunch and then carry on to Folsom lake for those who are still interested.

The route to Lamida looks open, would need to know from Jason if the exit is clear but still plenty of things to check out.

I'll keep watching this space as we have afternoon/evening plans so that will impact if I'm able to make it out anywhere.

We're planning a full day recovery clinic for the January MORG.  That one won't have a lot of wheeling since it will mostly be the clinic, so we may do that at Carnegie.  

Since the lake is low and we haven't been up there in a while, what say the group to doing Folsom again?

We could do something like this:

Dec - Folsom

Jan - Carnegie (Recovery Clinic)

Feb - snow run in the Sierras (so we can test out that recovery info)

this could be MIT, Corral Hollow, etc depending on the weather

Mar - Frank Rainse

That covers a lot of area.  There are still other OHVs we haven't been to but they're further out and I'd like to hear from somebody who's seen the first hand before planning a MORG there.

You're right Graeme - haven't been up there in quite a while.  I'll look into it.

In the mean time, I'm gonna call it - Folsom Lake it is  

Meet at 10:00AM as usual

Enter on the west side via Douglas Blvd.  This turns north and becomes Park road once you're in the park.  Follow that to the end of the road at Beeks Bight:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Beeks+Bight+Parking+Lot/@38.7645224,-121.1352265,16z/data=!4m8!1m2!2m1!1sfolsom+lake!3m4!1s0x809b1d8716bfef2d:0x8005d755b78a9340!8m2!3d38.7695497!4d-121.1326575

We'll have the radio on 146.460 and cell service is good here so you can reach me at 510.825.5056 if needed.  We'll see you there!

So here’s some pictures from yesterday...a few of us met up for a quick trip and let the kids play.

107ce530edba64d880a0bb32e67d9dd7.jpeg5b8c334d02641d4ab7f70e0e3512aadd.jpeg8ab9ec0e3ef9ac81e4f407850ea485e7.jpge5395cc075c92ffc3efaa5fd897c8754.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a huge turn out but pretty good. We had a visit from a new guy with a D1 from the Sac area who had seen some of Greg's instagram pics.

The day started with a game of trying to position a plumb Bob hung from your front diff as close to a nail as possible without looking or spotters. Luke managed the best driving Matt Marks' RRC.

Then off to play on the rocks. Everybody took their own choice of lines and as usual things slowly ramped up until Luke suggested I try a different and trickier line. This was going pretty well until I heard a loud pop from the right rear. At first I just thought it was a spring that had snapped back into its seat. A bit later I was having a hard time getting over a spot I had cleared earlier and Jason asked why my rear wasn't turning.... oh, guess maybe that noise was an axle after all.

Since I was leaning quite a bit to the right I didn't want to pull the axle out there or I'd have lost a ton of gear oil. So we pulled cable and got out then I parked with the right side high. Jason had a spare 24 spline axle so I puked the old Great Basin part out and of course we found it had broken at the splines. A little fishing with a long magnet eventually got the last bit out and I was able to still make it home in time to head to work this afternoon.

20171202_120716-M.jpg

20171202_120708-M.jpg

20171202_121553-M.jpg

Several people had to head home but a few stuck around to play a little longer. Apparently it was a bad day for axles as Jason ended up breaking one as well!

IMG-20171202-WA0004-M.jpg

Hey, better an axle than something expensive and hard to change!

Bummer that you blew the axle but awesome that Jason had the part on hand.  Looks like good turnout for a December MORG... hoping that now we're back up to 3 Rovers in the driveway I can get RedRover on dirt again soon.

I need Greg B. to chime in with the final head count-

Matt M. with Luke riding shotgun - RRC

Myself and Michele - D1

Greg B. - D1

Jason F. - D1

Jason's neighbor (?) - Jeep

Nick D. RRC

New guy from Sac "sicrovr" - D1

And I think I'm missing one more ?

I think Greg has some better photos of the group, but Nick did send me this lovely little video  :)

VID-20171202-WA0007-M.jpg

I have the same list plus Jaimy in a D1 and Stefano making a late appearance in the D90.

I have a similar video to Nick’s but different angle. I think I have your “pop” as well Don but need to review the footage.

Still going through the pictures and waiting on Gil’s (new potential member aka sikrover) pictures as he had the go pro and Nikon out taking lots of shots.

I thought it was a great time, there’s still obstacles and lines I haven’t tried or seen tried and credit to Luke for always discovering more...looking forward to seeing his red109 out there soon.

Hopefully we’ll be able to do it again soon and maybe add in a bbq session or something as the weather was amazing!

84ba9d2c033622be2504743cb7b99e58.jpg1e26b93d79a587f88144b2ee1042203e.jpg73dfee038109e7319a7cfa0d4dca87d1.jpgc5feb838c55e4ca10dec5b2057dbae6f.jpg5b9efcf130a76af50a8d9985155bbf1d.jpg9a995e499d810494d865c75938c23c6b.jpg133e3220b538b00b5fbf445cda177e38.jpg1b3b834a8fc8a220c9a23ce74863f82b.jpgae3be4a2d9b84b27714df621b44fb102.jpg6f1e63d4906b11018e4ac58f32eccebd.jpg

And there's where mine broke.  About 2:45 in.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipM9C4ROCWLpsPOKGrA1fRfzQnCXP-lsdKmhyNwEGz6xtf_aigSn8ocQc63eF4MqcQ/photo/AF1QipMDSEEjbe-R-POjh0rkvodfKGwH1I1f8z_9sJ62?key=RTZWR1l4a3J4bmROQ1NheGlidVBqZG92c3NiaWZR

I heard it and thought at first it was an axle but then thought well maybe it was just a spring snapping back as I was in a hole and didn't think I was doing anything very hard at the moment.  I didn't realize I was hard into an undercut on that wheel when it broke.

Now that you guys know what it sounds like, keep an eye out for your wing man and if you hear that sound and then see only 3 wheels spinning on a fully locked rig, you'll know what to do.  Glad you kept the rubber side down on that one Don.  Great to see everyone.  As it stands in the ranking of Rover Games, Don and Luke are each tied at one.  But there may be some sort of penalty we need to assess on Luke as he wasn't driving his own rig.  Until next time.  

Archived