Baofeng help

gurka

I have one of those small handheld Baofeng units (newest model) with a larger SRJ77CA antenna.

My son was over last ROvers trip and he was fiddling with it and now i am having issues hearing communications clearly, like there is a cut in the stream of voice and it sounds choppy. This thing has about 15,000 combination of settings.

I think I need to reset it to factory then set it up all over again.

If one of you who knows these units well could provide me with the suggested set of options to change once I go back to factory that would be appreciated. I'm really not sure anymore what settings I used or my son may have changed, think it's best to just start all over.

thanks

I think you can do a factory reset via menu item 40.

(I didn't know that - had to look it up)

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/blog/2016/07/how_to_reset_a_baofeng_uv-5r_two_way_radio.aspx

As for what's actually wrong, I have no idea.  I don't really use any feature other than changing the channel, volume, and squelch levels.  I usually set it to the frequency I'm using that day then use the lock button to disable the keyboard so nothing accidentally gets pushed.  You can turn the lock on/off by pressing and holding the key button in the lower right until it says 'locked' or 'unlocked'.

Regardless of the model, all the Baofengs are essentially the same to operate. So, do some Googling for Baofeng UV-5R user help since most people have their help guides under that model number. Maybe you can find someone that has a similar problem, but it may be easiest just to reset.

I'd start with a factory reset, then use some reference guides to set it up properly again. I think most of us in the club have only fiddled with frequency/squelch and a couple other settings. I believe you can use Chirp or similar programs to then backup your settings in case the kiddo decides to play with it next time.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I did a factory reset, was funny hearing chinese voices.

I still have the same issue - after about 2 seconds the incoming transmission chops up, like every other letter is cut out. I changed antennas, outside, inside. I am tuned into Pacifica PD and they transmit constantly so it's easy to test it. Never used to do this, wonder if it's defective, maybe i dropped it on the last trip.

Archived