1985 Defender 90 School Bus/Camel

SplurGn

Hey Everyone - 

Since 1993/1994 when i first test drove a green Defender 90 NAS V8 soft top, I was in love with these.  However, at the time, I was in college, and could not afford one.  Fast forward to today - finally got one.  It's a diesel, rebuilt 200 TDi, runs great.  Looking to clean it up a little, get rid of the little patches of rust, and hopefully be able to keep it going for another 32 years.  Looking to join the club next year as I live in the SF Bay Area...

That's it!  Thanks!  

post-1124-0-08872600-1509337100_thumb.jpg

post-1124-0-64610100-1509337108_thumb.jpg

Winner!

Step one:  register truck (done)

Step two:  join club (in the works?)

Step three:  Join us this weekend at either Pismo or Lost Coast!  Lost Coast will be more family friendly and 'overland-y'; Pismo will involve more driving around like a silly nob in the dunes and goading Colin to jump a little further....  (I may or may not be involved in any dune jumping)

As Don said, if you don’t have much going on this Friday to Sunday, the club has 2 trips planned.

Though, you prob can’t see the posts since they’re in the members only forums.

But let one of use know and the trip leaders cancer you setails and come as guest.

Lost Coast and Oceano Dunes are this weekend, then the next Friday, 10th, we have a day-trip to play on the Rubicon one more time before the snows fall.  We're not doing the full trail, just going in at Loon Lake, playing around on the slabs for the day, then out via Wentworth Springs.  Since we aren't running the whole trial you don't need a fully built up truck, but you would want to have the basics in place like dif gaurds, decent tires, maybe sliders/bumpers/etc to help limit risk to bodywork.  I don't know your level of experience so I may be telling you nothing new or I might be scaring you off!  But basically we won't be doing the harder parts of the trail and it will be a good chance for people to get a feel for it without diving in completely.

We have a thread started for that as well.  Feel free to chime in and ask questions if you're interested.

http://norcalrovers.org/forum/index.php?/topic/5167-celebrating-veterans-day-on-the-rubicon-trail-day-trip-november-10th/

Thanks guys.  Still getting my footing, scheduling my first visit to the mechanic to establish a base line.  Should I join the group now, or at the beginning of the year?

You can join now and we'll just roll it over to next year.  Think of it as a 'buy 12 months, get one free' deal - what a bargain!

BTW, your screen name...Splurgn.... makes me think of a certain trauma surgeon we know who happens to have a CT110 Defender.  Any connection?

Hey Don - just signed up!  Welcome to your newest member!  ;)  

SplurGn, no relation.  Growing up, my friends used to call me Splurge, then, from there, with online gaming, my screen name was SplurGn, and i just kept it going., associating it with everything that is fun in my life.

Nice. Saw the original ad in your other thread. Would be good if at some point you put the original style 5.5" wheels on it.

I was wondering about those wheels.  I don't think I've seen them before, at least not on a Defender.

I'm not a big originality guy; I usually regard stock as just the starting point.  But the CTs are a little more important than an average rig so having the original wheels would be a good thing.

I'm not too familiar with the CTs, is this one or does it have badging to celebrate them?

My next question was going to be whats your vision for it? If it's a CT then I would likely guess keep it as true to it's heritage as possible.

I'm into trails so always looking to live vicariously through someone else building a defender up for trails.

Eventually I'd love to build a short wheel base series or Defender for the trails.

Welcome to the club!!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hi Jethro - thank you - everyone has been really cool, and nice.  Offering a lot of amazing tips.

it has badging/front bumper that celebrates them.  I'm thinking like an Indy 500 pace car scheme....

It is getting detailed today, so I will see what the outcome will look like.  The top of the car looks to be sprayed over white, since there are a lot of peeling underneath the paint.  So, at this point, not sure what i am going to do aesthetically on the outside.  

Just want to get it road worthy, and cleaned up a bit.

Will post as I go with more pics, after today's detailing....

Detailing!!  Crazy!

I washed my Disco recently.  That was the 2nd time this year!  I don't think there will be a third time...I don't want to spoil it.  I mean it already gets to park in a nice comfy garage.  You have to keep these trucks in their place or they can get uppity on you.  :)

• 8 months later...

So, my Defender was featured in the August 2018 edition of Land Rover Owners International @ www.lro.com on page 86-87.  It has a shout out to our club.  I would post the article, but cannot, for the life of me, upload a pic from my desktop....   :o

Archived