Celebrating Veterans day on the Rubicon trail - Day Trip! November 10th

Like to get out one more time this year and dates are tight. I've never had Veterans day off so figured this year was a good time to for it. Hopefully everyone interested can make it out. I'm keeping this fairly open as to the plan as we'll have to watch the weather. I'm also working through my motor mounts that hit EOL today at prairie city.

Initial thoughts are to meet at loon lake, air down and hit the slabs. Lots to play on there and fairly accessible if people are not able to make it by 9am ish. If we can get out onto the trail on time and the traffic is moderate we can push to Ellis Creek and then head out the Wentworth Springs entrance. If we get to the top of the slabs and time is tight we can head out loon.

So my time is limited to the Friday and understand that others may want to camp the night before or continue with the trail to the end. All great so if that's the case we can coordinate as best as possible to keep the group together when convenient.

As its a day trip to go and get some exposure/practice on the slabs and trail obstacles I'm not going to regulate the rigs. Thinking we'll have a wide variety of different states of rigs. Just make sure you are comfortable with it and it's in good running order. George Town is 2hrs from Sacramento and loon is 20-30 minutes past, so fairly remote.

Currently the folks interested are:

1. Myself- D1 on 33s and lockers

2. #Discobear- D1 35s and lockers

3. Don-D1 35s and lockers

4. Tentative- Eric

5. Tentative-lunarbomb

Let us know who's wanting to come along...

I'm putting this on my calendar.  

For those who've thought maybe they'd like to do the Rubicon some day but were worried about if they or their rig were up to it, this is a good way to 'dip your toe in the water'.  We won't be getting into anything too difficult on this section though there are always harder lines you can choose if you want to test yourself.  

Expect some cool temps but unless things change radically we shouldn't have any snow or freezing.  

If some of the bay area people want to come up and break up the drive, you could crash at my place in Walnut Grove Thursday evening then we'll get an early start and run up to Loon from here.  It's 2.5-3 hrs from my house to the trailhead depending on which way we go.  I'll be working in the bay Thursday so I'm not sure what time I'll get home but not until evening anyway.

That sounds fun, but a long drive for a day trip from San Jose. Anyone up for camping out Friday night? I was thinking of playing around with everyone during the day and heading out near spider lake to camp. The trail isn't too bad between loon and spider lakes. If it isn't going to snow a bunch, might be a fun overnight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d49a505df4362ac00b5ed5f91834b41e.jpg

Here's a pic of the campsite by spider lake. It's pretty big, out of the way of traffic, and has some nice views.

We camped there when we did the Father's day weekend run and it is a great place. Definitely think it's a great opportunity/last for those to run the entire thing this season before the snow season starts.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I'm a fan of this idea. I'll do some lobbying with the wife. Our Signal Peak run last weekend was amazing and left me wanting for more Sierras time.

I'd be coming from Sunnyvale and definitely leaning towards camping Friday night.

Also, It's possible I'd have my almost-5-year-old son with me. I'm curious to know if anyone else would have kids in tow.

That sounds fun, but a long drive for a day trip from San Jose. Anyone up for camping out Friday night? I was thinking of playing around with everyone during the day and heading out near spider lake to camp. The trail isn't too bad between loon and spider lakes. If it isn't going to snow a bunch, might be a fun overnight.

Oops, I misread. Sounds like the idea was to drive up early Friday morning, play for the day, saunter over to spider lake and camp. Which also sounds nice.

Not sure if anybody is planning to bring kids, but if Nick comes he usually brings his daughter who's about that age.

Cool. Kids or no kids I'd likely have my oldest with me. He was pissed last time I went to the mountains without him.

I'm going to try and make this happen.

I'll have mine again... you met them last year on the signal Peak Run. 6 and 4...wife might actually come too... TBD.

We have a soccer game and Party Saturday that we have to attend. So only option is a day run. But that will likely be a FULL day.

If others need to change the plans a little nothing wrong with parallel parties crossing paths. That's not uncommon. So if you want and others are interested like Eric was stating... you can run with us Friday camp at spider then continue on Saturday. Or come up Friday camp at loon plus play on the slabs when you arrive then finish the trail in the morning. We'd all likely be able to play around that afternoon together.

The slabs are great in that lots of room, many different obstacles from difficult to insane play on.

So should be a good time if the weather cooperates.

Is Fuller coming up? I mean, it's practically his back yard.

I tried but sounded like he was spoken for... anyone else coming out?

Currently the folks interested are:

1. Myself- D1 on 33s and lockers

3. Don-D1 35s and lockers

4. Tentative- Eric

5. Tentative-lunarbomb

Let us know who's wanting to come along...

It looks like the weather will be cool on Friday and there is a fair chance of rain, but Greg and I are still up for this if we have interest.

Matt has bowed out due to family stuff, so he's off the list.  Who else is in?  We need to know as if it's just Greg and I we may bail and get some work done on the trucks instead.  

Talk to me people!  Who's in?  Anybody?  Bueler?  Bueler?

Oops, I misread. Sounds like the idea was to drive up early Friday morning, play for the day, saunter over to spider lake and camp. Which also sounds nice.

Cool. Kids or no kids I'd likely have my oldest with me. He was pissed last time I went to the mountains without him.

I'm going to try and make this happen.

My kids are not going now BTW... what's your plan?

I connected with Eric and his work schedule isn't lining up and is out.

We're dying off which is to be expected around this time of year...

Archived