Prepping for cb install

Disco2Guy

Hello everyone-

I'm getting ready to purchase a cb soon and want to make sure I'm getting the the correct parts. Here's my list so far:

Cobra 75WXST

Firestik II Firefly 4' CB Antenna FS4-B

Firestik Antenna Bracket SS-174S

Firestik Combo Spring & Stud Mount SS-34AH

Firestik Antenna Quick Disconnect K1A

Firestik Fire-Flex 18ft Single Antenna Coaxial Cable K-8A

I'll also need to get some electrical wire to connect to the fuse box.

Ron, if the offer still stands for those grommets I'll take them off your hands at Mexxi's.

I'd like to mount the junction box under the drivers seat and connect the handset through the plastic seat trim like this. My biggest question is about wiring everything together. Can someone give me some pointers for the wiring, maybe show me their setup at Mexxi's?

Thanks

Wiring is very simple as the CB should only come with hot and ground. Then just decide where you want it wired to!

I'd wire it direct to the battery with an inline fuse for protection as this allows you to have the CB on wether the car is running or not. My HAM is this way, the CB is keyed to the ignition, which I would like to change. It never retains the channel it is on.

The underseat idea with the connector is very clean and will mean that when not in use, you can store the mike and not have anything visible. However, I would suggest seeing if you can get a plug cover to put over the recept. when not in use, as it's upward location means it will catch anything you spill/dirt etc..

You know, I hear a lot of conversation lately about radios in the trucks. Some go CB (these I've heard of before, though never used one) some mention HAM (these I've never heard of) some mention even other types. Could someone break it down "radios for dummies" level and explain the diference so I can make a decision on which to purchase?

Thank you!

Yes, HAM requires a license. The quality of the transmission is clearer.

What do you want to do? Off road with a group of people? CB will do what you need to do, which is talk to each other. HAM would allow you to talk over miles, where as CB will give you less distance.

Want to go out into the backcountry with a group or by yourself. Except for a Sat Phone, HAM is the way to go at a minimum low frequency and better hi freq. With Hi, which I can't do yet, I understand that you can talk around the world from your truck. But either of these will give you better radio options than CB.

One of the people that needs to answer this would be Gary (PC Rover) and I know he will chime in.

FRS---Family Radio System(?). Cheap, easy to use, handheld, universal, therefore everyone is crowding the channels. Good for close spaced convoys,transmissions degrade in canyons.

CB---Citizens Band. Higher priced. Easy to use, also universal use by truckers therefore may get crowded channels. Transmissions good for open space areas, canyon areas up to 1/4mi. Transmissions also dependent on antenna placement and being "tuned". Transmissions 2+ or more miles if conditions right.

Ham---Amateur Radio. License required. True radio equipment, versatile. Affordable,but expensive. Best in transmissions. Good for expedition travel, even better if you have upgrade license(talk to the world & bypasses the satellite phone).

Yes and No on that question. I have seen cables with removable ends, but they are hard to find. If you go with Mini-UHF connectors they are small enough that they might go through the grommet. Then use a MiniUHF to Regular UHF adapter on the Radio or Antenna end. Look me up at the meeting and we can talk about it.

Out of curiousity, are the tips of this cable removable so I can pass it through the grommet on the cargo door? Or should I buy the parts and make my own cable? Thanks.

If you buy a pre-made cable, chances are it will be fully assembled. I used a 18' cable and it was a perfect length. I had to cut one end off to feed through the grommet, then solder the ends back. Be sure you know where all your parts are before beginning. After I stripped the cable back, I went looking for my soldering iron. I searched for almost 20 minutes before I remembered leaving it at the kid's school (I re-wired their auditorium audio). I then resorted to using my wife's stained glass soldering iron (huge tip). My driveway still bears solder puddles from my install.

Good luck.

Jim

Hey Brenton,

I missed the get together @ Mexxis; had Search and Rescue volunteer work to do that day!

In the mail today, I am sending you 3 grommets: one for the rear (for the coax to antenna), and two for front (one for coax from the chasis to inside the cab, and the other for power/to battery).

And about a dozen mini tie wraps (to tie down the coax on the chasis) if you choose to run the coax thru the chasis like I did.

Or if you choose to run the coax inside the cab, you would only need two grommets (one for the rear (coax) and and one for the front (for power/battery), and no tie wraps!

Anyways, looks like you have a handle on the CB parts/accessories. I will post pics and details on how I wired the coax, power and CB.

I also have a SWR meter; have not had time to tune it; seems to work fine during April's MORG, but want to make sure it's tune very least ch 7 (which we use the most). You are more than welcome to use my SWR meter perhaps during the First Aid Training or next month's MORG. Takes 10-15 mins to tune.

C yah!

Hello everyone-

I'm getting ready to purchase a cb soon and want to make sure I'm getting the the correct parts. Here's my list so far:

Cobra 75WXST

Firestik II Firefly 4' CB Antenna FS4-B

Firestik Antenna Bracket SS-174S

Firestik Combo Spring & Stud Mount SS-34AH

Firestik Antenna Quick Disconnect K1A

Firestik Fire-Flex 18ft Single Antenna Coaxial Cable K-8A

I'll also need to get some electrical wire to connect to the fuse box.

Ron, if the offer still stands for those grommets I'll take them off your hands at Mexxi's.

I'd like to mount the junction box under the drivers seat and connect the handset through the plastic seat trim like this. My biggest question is about wiring everything together. Can someone give me some pointers for the wiring, maybe show me their setup at Mexxi's?

Thanks

Thanks Ron, I hope to have the cb installed by the Wilderness Training so we can tune it then. If not Gary has also offered to tune my antenna during May's MORG. I'll keep you and Gary posted.

For anyone looking at a cb setup, my purchase list has changed to the NGP kit (9040 from Ron's link in his original post). Firestick's site is a little confusing as they list the parts installed on a Disco (from and Expedition Exchange how-to), but fail to mention the fact the the NGP is the better choice. Unless your mounting the antenna to the middle of the roof.

I have the equipment to tune your Antenna (assuming it is the tuneable type). We can do it at a MORG or when ever our paths cross. It should only take a few minutes to do.

Gary, I'm going to have a CB installed in mine also, and I will have a tuneable type antenna. I think I might need your help.....

Steve

I thought I'd pass along my experience with my tuneable antenna. When I purchased my unit, I also bought an 18 ft. length of antenna cable. Cliff, the guy at Clyde's Electronics said with my 4-ft Firestick antenna, Turn the knob 8 times and you'll be set. Now I don't own a SWR meter anymore, so I took his word for it, made the 8 turns, put the cap on tested my new unit. I went up to Merritt college in the Oakland hills and reached someone in San Mateo. I figured Cliff was right. On the last MORG, I was in constant communication with the pack even though I was in the rear.

What I'm really interested in is finding out just how close to perfect those 8 turns were. Gary, I'll have to wait until the June MORG to catch up with you. Hope you keep that meter on board.

Archived