1998 Discovery White on Tan - New to Me!

egebhardt

As you may have seen the other post, Nick was nice enough to sell me his white 98 Disco1 in August 2017. 

I am in San Carlos, up Brittan. I'm looking to fix leaks and replace rotors and change fluids, etc... These Rovers obviously need some TLC so I'm hoping to do just that. Nick got busy with a house and kid so I'm picking up where he left off.

I'm new to this forum and www.landroverforums.com but I've been on other forums since 2007. My specialty is BMW M3s so I'm very familiar with those. Rovers are new to me but this should be fun! See my signature for other vehicles.

This is an automatic LE version. Chawton White on Bahama Beige. The tires are good. I just put on rear matching Bilsteins because Nick put Bilsteins on the front a few years ago. Now they roughly the same mileage because he didn't drive it much in the last 2 years. The brakes on back are low but within spec. The fronts are now under 13mm (min) so I want to change those. I replaced the VCGaskets and re-sealed the oil pan. These cars seem to have a lot of leaks by now so I'm working on those mostly. I'd like to pull the tranny pan but it looks like the Y pipe should come off. The 2 rear studs look pretty rusty and maybe they'll snap if I try to get those nuts off. Then I'd have to drill out the holes and use new bolts. Maybe that's what will have to happen.

Unfortunately, this vehicle is too tall for my garage so I have to work on it outside in the sun and dirt. It's been so dam hot so my progress will be pretty slow.

You know.... it's not uncommon for some members to host wrenching days where we get together to work on our rigs.  In fact, some members have very tall garages and a lift... 

'k, by 'some members' I mean me   :)

I don't actually have anything specific planned since we've got the MORG this weekend and the Rubicon run next, then we'll be preparing for the Annual at the end/first of the month but I do have people out fairly regularly to work on their rigs.  

The only drawback for you is I'm up in the delta, so a couple hours away from you.  But keep an eye out, sometimes these are planned and sometimes they're very last-minute like last Sunday when I had a couple people over for some work.  

Update:

It turns out I had a 1/2 amp parasitic draw from the alternator. Does anyone know where I can find a used alternator?

I can get a new one at Oreilly's for $200 but there's probably a cheaper option. Finding the proper rectifier is another option, however, it's harder to find.

Update:

It turns out I had a 1/2 amp parasitic draw from the alternator. Does anyone know where I can find a used alternator?

New Disco to rocklin pick and pull. Might have a good one on it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Usually O'Reilly has different part grades for its house brands, and the better house brand version has a lifetime warranty. That's what I'd do.

The time and effort to pull a part in completely unknown condition is not worth the savings.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I did a lot more trouble-shooting last night. My diode plate is good. My voltage regulator is bad. I just need the regulator but they are hard to find. A used alternator would work too. Anyone have a used alternator for sale near San Carlos? Thx, Eric 650-544-1398

Archived