• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My rig is ready to go, but I can only run it if it’s Saturday night since I plan on driving out there Saturday and driving home after the run.

OK, as the masses have not spoken, I think we'll just make it Saturday night for the actual night run.  That way those coming up from the bay won't have to worry about fighting traffic on Friday night.

I'll still plan to go up early myself and will be there Friday night.  I'll do a day-trip on Saturday before the 'official' night run kicks off that evening,

Yes, in post 16 I decided the night run would be on Saturday night in an effort to make it easier for bay area people to get up there.  I will still be going up on Friday.  I should be leaving home around 3:00 so expect to get to camp by 5:00.

Right now I have 5 people interested:

Don and Michele

Coach

Rene

Gene

Matt (DiscoBear)

Keep it coming!

You shouldn't need anything special.  Flashlight/headlamp of course and a jacket since it will likely be cool but I doubt it will be 'cold'.  High should be around 80 and low about 50.

Signal Peak is generally considered a 'moderate' trail.  I would say a good AT tire is a requirement and sliders would be a plus to help avoid potential body damage in one specific spot on the trail.  Bigger tires, a lift, lockers, winch, etc are always nice but not needed here.   

The trail starts with a rocky climb up a long hill.  It's mostly loose rocks but not overly challenging.  It then changes to a dirt and rock shelf road as it works it's way higher.  There is one point fairly early on that will be our main challenge.  It's a combination of roots, a tree, a boulder, and the narrowness of the trail that means you have a limited line choice.  We have had to winch some vehicles here before but it that's the case we're prepared for it.  This is the point where sliders can come in handy.  If you don't have sliders we'll have to do more stacking; maybe break out the maxxtraxs, etc, and just take our time to get you through cleanly.  After that it's again mostly straight-forward.  There is a difficult section that involves some rock crawling but there is a by-pass for this so it can be skipped.  Once at the top, it's all easy on the way down.   

http://4x4trailmaps.com/4x4Trails.php?Trail_ID=82

Signal Peak is a great trail right off Interstate 80, just outside of Truckee. It offers a fairly steep climb with loose rock and some great views once you reach the top. 

The first mile of the trail is the most difficult and steep. Use caution while climbing, rocks may suddenly shift. When I drove the trail there was a section of the trail that was washed out an since repaired. 

This section was slightly off camber and narrow, use extreme caution especially when conditions are wet.

Trailhead - The trailhead for Signal Peak is well marked and shares the staging area with Fordyce Creek Trail. There is plenty of trailer parking, restrooms and near by camping.

Keep Left - Keep to the left as a right take you back down the hill to a dead end. This point also marks the end of the most difficult section of the trail. The remainder of the trail consists of mildly and greatly maintained service roads.

Switchbacks - Avoid the switchbacks to the right of the trail. These are illegal switchbacks and should not be used.

Signal Peak - This is the top of Signal Peak. Cell phone reception should be great here, there are cell phone towers a few hundred feet to your left! A short walk down the ridge to your right will revile an abandoned fire watch station.

Fordyce Lake Road - Take a right onto Fordyce Lake Road to head toward Interstate 80. This is the same road used to exit Fordyce Creek Trail early and is very well maintained. Keep an eye out for ATVs, and other visitors as you reach the bottom of the hill. This road can become pretty busy.

End of Trail - Signal Peak Trail ends at Hamshire Rocks Road. Take a left followed quickly after by a right hand turn onto Cisco Road for freeway access.

I'll be going up Friday afternoon and will look for a good spot at the Eagle Lakes campground which is right at the start of the trail.

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/indian-springs/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=75486

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Indian+Springs/@39.3282234,-120.5731746,16.01z/data=!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x809b94baacda7e65:0xfe1082b81db42280!2sCisco+Grove,+CA+95728!3b1!8m2!3d39.3099025!4d-120.5399297!3m4!1s0x0:0xebc1f995d89cb7b0!8m2!3d39.329339!4d-120.5694312

I've been through this campground a few times but never actually stayed there.  It's pavement accessible so expect some trailers and RVs.  I'll bring some firewood as well, though my trasharoo is almost on it's last legs so I don't know how much I can carry.

Maybe I’ll come up early on Saturday and hang out with you during the day before the run. I ran Signal Peak twice this year already and it’s a pretty fun trail. If you decide to go straight instead of to the right where the Little Rock crawling area is people were running into some pretty nasty mud. Other than that we didn’t make it up because of the snow, damn close though but there was a ton and really slippery so we were just getting pushed into the trees. I’ve never made it successfully to the top from the 3 times I’ve attempted it. Will be a good time.

It's almost time.  Just trying to get a better head-count so I can have an idea who to look for

Don and Michele 
Coach
Rene
Matt (DiscoBear)

Tentative:
Gene 
Andrew

Anybody else?

I'm heading up Friday afternoon, will do some wheeling sat morning then we'll hit the night run to Signal Peak just before dark Sat evening.

I"ll have my radio on 146.460, and my cell at 510-825-5056...I think there's reception in this area.

Let me know when you expect to arrive and I'll keep an eye out for you.   :)  :lr:  :D

hi don.

i am gonna likely have to take a pass on this (dammit!) due to my CDL issue.

not sure if i can get anyone to fix it tomorrow/fri

really bummed ... sorry!

Stop by Don's on your way out...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Seriously, if you can get by here we can take a look at it.  I'm sorta on your way as I'm not far off I5.

I'll be in the shop by 8 helping Chad install the strut spacers on his RRS.  I hope to finish that up before noon.  Michele has a meeting she has to take at 1 and we should be ready to head out by 3.  If you can make it up here before then we'll  get into it.  The earlier the better just so we can let it cool a bit before reaching up there but if you can get away we can have a look.

OK, we've lost a couple but I'm still heading up this afternoon.  Will do a short run Saturday then the night run Saturday evening leaving just before dark.  Will have radio and phone on so come on down!

Spoke too soon. Got it started but now no power steering. Going to head home and sort it out after all.

This may be the end of this run for me. I need to iron out the issues this weekend in prep for the MORG and Rubicon.

Details tonight

Archived