Just checking in

ChrisJB

I haven't signed in since 2010 so it's been a while. The last 7 years, I haven't been very active taking the rover off road. After moving from Reno to San Antonio TX in 2009ish? I ran away from Texas screaming and landed in Las Vegas in 2011. But gas was expensive and even though my 04 DII was low miles, the drive shafts and other issues weighed on the back of my mind so I mostly left it parked in the garage and only took it out when I needed to do a Costco run. About 2 months ago, I was going through the buyback for my VW TDI and I bought a 2017 VW alltrack and I got the bug again. I have been taking that off road a lot so I am motivated to get the rover up and running. I got both the front and rear driveshafts rebuilt with serviceable u-joints and the shafts themselves sandblasted and painted, rear rotoflex replaced, and a new set of 255/55r18 BFG K02's, full fluid flush/replacement and I just need new rotors and pads and I'll be good to go. 

I only have 56k miles on it so I don't have any major issues with it yet

So when I moved to Vegas, I noticed there wasn't much of a LR community. There was a LR club, but wasn't active. A lot of the off road clubs out here are aimed towards UTV's, rock crawlers, pre-runners and dune buggies so my fairly stock disco wouldn't fit in. There is a Southern California LR club, but after reaching out to them, I got no response. I just shot off an email to the AZ LR Club so we'll see. Also LRRForums seems to not have a ton of activity.

I might join back up again because I just need to be part of a group :D and there isn't much around me anyways for groups. I still have my club sticker on the back of the window 

The Arizona Land Rover club is pretty cool and I think they mostly communicate via Facebook. Erin, NCLR president, has a couple contacts from their club so perhaps she'll pipe in and share this with you.

I think AZLRO is fairly active; we've done some joint stuff with them like Mojave Rd at the 1st of the year.  LRRforums is dead - just archive stuff now.  We're still here though!  There are actually 2 SoCal clubs but I'm not sure how active they are on-line.

Hey Chris, good to hear from you again! The AZLRO Club is cool. Look up Doug Lawyer, I think he's the current President. I met him 10 years ago at my first Pismo trip and have run with him on the Mojave Rd. and Overland Expo.

There is a San Diego based one a socal Group too. Both seem to be fairly active and I read about the Las Vegas one but it does seem to be older stuff. I think the Arizona one probably your best bet.

I'd look at expo Portal and overland bound if you are interested in the exploring type of off roading as those groups organize a fair amount of trips.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

AZLRO is a pretty large club, they have about 100 members like we do and are pretty active.  Doug is not on the council any longer and they currently do not have a sitting President that I can tell.  Chad Manz is club secretary, and is the person that I've been in touch with so I think he's taken on a lot of the operations of the club.  If you have any questions, you can find his contact information HERE.

Welcome back Chris!

Do you remember this trip in Tahoe back in 06 (I think)?

What's the details on this trip...I'd be up for return trip.

Yes, any trail recommendations in the Tahoe area are much appreciated.  I will be planning a weekend or two up there scouting stuff for next year's Western Regional.

What's the details on this trip...I'd be up for return trip.

The trail is called Blackwood Canyon/Ellis Peak (if you have Charles A Wells guide published in 2004, it's trail #21).

Staging area GPS coordinates are: Lat North 39 10 22.1  Long West 120 8 49.0

Trail ends at: Lat North 39 15 39.1  Long West 120 4 13.6

There are two beautiful small lakes called Bear Lake (where you can go fishing) and Ellis Lake (stop for lunch).

And the view from Ellis Peak is amazing.  You can hike up to the peak - don't drive your rover to the top; very very loose gravel, and req tight backing-up in reverse.  Of course, my warning will tempt someone to drive their rover up the peak.  Don't. Potential roll-over!

Anyhoo, it's a 6 miles (one way) or 12 miles (r/t) moderate trail.  Sliders not req.

And if you make the wrong turn, you will end up in the Rubicon Trail (easy to tell rocks will get bigger and bigger), and yes sliders and many other metals are required (maybe that's not a bad thing to end up in the Rubicon depending on your setup)! :)

Joking set aside, the Blackwood Cyn/Ellis Peak trail is good for stock vehicles, and if you are curious about the Rubicon Trail, park, hike down to the trial (not too far) and take a peak.  Hope it inspire you to do one day (or ride shot gun and help spot). 

A bit of history, this trail actually inspired a few of us to run our very first NCLR Rubicon trip back many years ago!  Some of you may still remember - high altitude steak lunch (courtesy of chef Enrique), one vehicle didn't make it (broker rear diff, power steering failure), and had to be towed back to the staging area ( Lutzi sacrificed his rear diff for that vehicle to make it out), and then he made it out of the Rubicon just on front lockers (a bit of tugging from Tim Scully).  It was the time before they blow up the Gate Keeper into pieces.  Not that the current Rubicon Trail is a piece of cake; it's still a very difficult trail, but back them, it was something else!

Let me see if I can scan and post a copy of the trail map!

Happy Trails to you all.  Cheers!

Ron 

And the view from Ellis Peak is amazing.  You can hike up to the peak - don't drive your rover to the top; very very loose gravel, and req tight backing-up in reverse.  Of course, my warning will tempt someone to drive their rover up the peak.  Don't. Potential roll-over!

So what I'm hearing is 'other people shouldn't do it but it's OK for ME...'   ;)

• 3 months later...

Welcome back Chris! 

Do you remember this trip in Tahoe back in 06 (I think)?

I def remember that trip. Flat tire after bending a wheel, which I finally replaced a few months ago when I picked up a new set of BFG's. I miss the snow and tree's.

Hopefully I can hit the trails soon. Dealing with the 3 Amigo's ATM

Archived