Hello from Sunnyvale!

Mr.BlueSky

Hello NCLR!

Happy to report that Theresa and I have recently purchased our first Defender. We had been planning and saving for about a year to take a vacation abroad, and if we found the right rover, ship it back to the US. We were still in the planning stages when our 1987 D110 ex-Mod Tithonus landed in Texas fresh off the boat and popped up for sale. After a call to the seller I was on red-eye flight two days later.

Upon inspection the vehicle was in far better condition than described. Even the old batteries (it was an FFR when in service) in the 24V system were holding charge. The biggest complaint was that customs stole my passenger seat  :( .

After inspecting the vehicle further, joy riding around the storage facility I started to drive back North to my homeplace in Nebraska where it would get it's DMV docs taken care of. By the end of the day I had made it just South of the Texas border when I met my folks. We threw it on a trailer and made it back to Nebraska just before 5AM Sunday morning.

Driving wise, the rover performed great. I was happily cruising the flats at 65mph. It also handled pretty well in the traffic jammed Texas construction zone called Fort Worth.

Overall we are pretty happy with the purchase and hope to have it in the Bay area just before the end of May.

20170212_162233.jpg

20170211_121031.jpg

20170211_181809.jpg

Nice! What are your plans for the new rig?

In other words... Please tell us building an awesome crawler is what Don meant to say.

welcome to NCLR!

Thanks Chris!

In other words... Please tell us building an awesome crawler is what Don meant to say.

They don't *all* have to be crawlers.  Tim and Luke should take care of that pretty well.

Definitely not planning to go off the deep end on a purpose built crawler, however tempting!  :lol: I do plan to add bits to make it more capable of course.

The long term goals of the build are more along the lines of over-landing. Eventually Theresa and I want the vehicle to be at the point where it is good to go for multiple week trips. The first long trip (probably a year or so away) is to drive up to Alaska. After that, not sure, dreaming of a South America tour :rolleyes: . 

I have been dreaming to do a trip like that for a while. I am currently helping one of my co-workers prep his Volvo and trailer for a long term trip down south so he is serving as inspiration at the moment.

Miles,

Welcome to NCLR! Glad you found your way to the club! It was a pleasure meeting you and Theresa this past weekend. Let me know if I can help in any way. 

Nick

Thanks Nick it was great meeting you as well. I will let you know when the Defender arrives in California, maybe we can give it a good shake down at Hollister.

Volvo?  C303 maybe?

I wouldn't get my nose out of joint if a C303 showed up at a MORG....  Just sayin'.

Ha no but that would be a pretty fun build. No he has an XC70 which has proven to be quite the capable vehicle. When he first told me his plans I wouldn't have believed it, but after taking it out on terrain it is actually fairly capable. It won't ever do anything with deep rocks but for his use and a additional trailer it should work well.

very nice Defender and welcome

Thanks Will! 

Archived